SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a landmark admission by a rabid Wild fan.

I'm proud of you Goon.

Don't get me going on the Wild right now, I am not very happy with Doug Risebrough now.

Apparently he seems to think he is a great hockey mind by letting Brian Rolston go.

I think that both the coach and the GM needs to go in St Paul before the Wild can move forward.

Last season the Wild wanted to get tougher so they picked up the Fridge, Voros and Simon,

now they apparently don't think they need to be tough so they let all three go. Wow, that was a

stroke of brilliance, all the while the Wings win the cup and pick up Marian Hossa. The wild floundering

towards mediocrity.

Prpich didn't go around butt ending people with his stick like Bickel. I would rather have PrPich than a Bickel as well.

Just my HMO.

Also an unbelievable number of nasty blatant checks from behind that rivaled those by Demarchi during his career. None were called penalties; so much for that emphasis on cfb's by the WCHA.

Don't get me going on the Wild right now, I am not very happy with Doug Risebrough now.

Apparently he seems to think he is a great hockey mind by letting Brian Rolston go.

I think that both the coach and the GM needs to go in St Paul before the Wild can move forward.

Last season the Wild wanted to get tougher so they picked up the Fridge, Voros and Simon,

now they apparently don't think they need to be tough so they let all three go. Wow, that was a

stroke of brilliance, all the while the Wings win the cup and pick up Marian Hossa. The wild floundering

towards mediocrity.

Risebrough and the Wild owner are in the same mindset as the Twins in many ways. They want to be competitive. However, he is unwilling or (if the owner is like Pohlad) unable to spend money to get the 2 to 3 players that would break the Wild out of mediocrity. The Twins successfully pinned the lack of attractiveness to big free agents on the Metrodome. The Metrodome isn't a great stadium, but it isn't a great venue, but it's not a legit reason for not wanting to be there, imo.

If you were a guy like Hossa. Proven, big name, still in your prime. Would you rather go to a team that has players who have the talent to win it all (but is admittedly an older team) or go to a team that has players who may have or may EVENTUALLY have the talent to win it all (but is admittedly a younger team)? Seriously, Hossa coming to Minnesota would REALLY help the Wild, but he looks at the system Risebrough has in place, how LeMaire coaches the game, and the opinions he has on the players he'd be playing with and I can't blame him for signing with a team like Detroit. No one wants to play for a team that models itself after the Kansas City Royals or the Tampa Bay Rays until they actually start proving they are a team to beat.

They did that ONE season, but failed in the end. They could not carry it over to next season. They've been mediocre ever since. This is a "What do you have for me now" type free agent market. The Wild can't compete for big free agents because they can't answer the question honestly without disappointing those free agents. That's why I'm so vehement on my dislike of them. After the lockout, they had an opportunity to revamp their entire team because all or most of the big names were out there and some wanted to come to Minnesota only to be rebuffed.

The Wild, imo, are the closest Minnesota team to being dangerous in the post season. The Twins can pull off a regular season or two every now and then. However, they lay eggs in the post season because the Twins don't have players who are able to compete regularly in the post season yet. The same with the Wild. However, all the Wild need to change that is to sign the right players, and spend a little money in doing so. I always say that sometimes the spending habits of Detroit make me sick. I do believe they spend a lot of money and sometimes don't get squat for their investment. They are like the Yankees at times. They sign everyone or they try to. Minnesota is in a unique position much like the Rays are. They are young, but they only need a few veterans who are in their prime to push them over the top and into true competitive hockey that could take them to the Stanley Cup finals, in the same vein as Anaheim a few years back. Anaheim had Kariya and Selanne and a few others. The Wild only have Gaborik. They need two or three more players. Period.

The Wild, imo, are the closest Minnesota team to being dangerous in the post season.

If I am not mistaken I think the vikes were picked to win the super bowl according to Paul Allen.

If I am not mistaken I think the vikes were picked to win the super bowl according to Paul Allen.

Nicely Played.

In recent news, Ron Santo thinks the Cubs will win the World Series.

Sid Hartman thinks Minnesota (all teams all levels) will win it all.

I think the Rays will win the AL East.

:D

Nicely Played.

In recent news, Ron Santo thinks the Cubs will win the World Series.

Sid Hartman thinks Minnesota (all teams all levels) will win it all.

I think the Rays will win the AL East.

:D

The way both teams are playing it is very possible.

Risebrough ponied up with 8mil/yr on a multi-year deal for Hossa but he chose the Wings. I think that's a pretty strong effort to bring in a top forward.

I think that in the end Risebrough has got to go, the team has gotten stagnate under his leadership.

Risebrough ponied up with 8mil/yr on a multi-year deal for Hossa but he chose the Wings. I think that's a pretty strong effort to bring in a top forward.

Guess it is true that many good players will accept less than other teams offer to play for the Red Wings. I think the league needs a Red Wing rule to add to the salary cap rules if the playing field is to be made level. Unreal.

Risebrough and the Wild owner are in the same mindset as the Twins in many ways. They want to be competitive. However, he is unwilling or (if the owner is like Pohlad) unable to spend money to get the 2 to 3 players that would break the Wild out of mediocrity.

I know you are a Minnesota hater but you do realize the Wild had a larger payroll than the Red Wings last year, don't you?

I know you are a Minnesota hater but you do realize the Wild had a larger payroll than the Red Wings last year, don't you?

I heard Lou Nanne say that on Dan B's show and it blew me away, just think one team is managing the cap well while the Wild are not.

I know I have read where the new owner wants to spend money to win a cup, I don't know if it has gotten down to the GM or not.

Russo said that Gabby was trying hard to get Hossa to come to the Wild. Even with Hossa I am not sure it would be enough to get them over the top. The Wild have a lot of issues and their major problem is they have too many Euros and perimeter players that don't like to get their jerseys creased. PMB has to be one of the most irritating players who goes out of his way not to get to the dirty areas to score goals.

...Gabby was trying hard to get Hossa to come to the Wild...

And the last player Gabby tried hard to get to the Wild really helped, huh?

Maybe it is time for Marion Gaborik to put the team on his back and carry them to the promised land, instead of whining for one of his buddies to come and shoulder the load.

(BTW, I feel terrible about contributing to the off-topic direction of this thread...)

Maybe it is time for Marion Gaborik to put the team on his back and carry them to the promised land, instead of whining for one of his buddies to come and shoulder the load.

(BTW, I feel terrible about contributing to the off-topic direction of this thread...)

You are very right, time for Gabby to be a leader.

As great as Gaboric can be as an individual player I almost wish the Wild would trade him. It seems when I watch a Wild game as soon as Gaboric gets the puck it's a 1 man game. The guy should play in the NBA not the NHL. When I think of the great players the Sioux have had (Hrkac, Parise, Toews, Oshie, Panzer, etc) they all made the players around them better. Gaboric seems to exist to catch the puck. At least that's the way it seems to me.

This I did not know. With Detroit's roster, I just assumed they were hovering right near the cap.

Goon- Risebrough's management of the cap seems to point towards a similarity with another Minnesota GM: Kevin McHale.

Dagies- I both agree and disagree with you. I think Gabby plays like that because he know what we all know, whether we'd like to admit it or not: He IS the Wild offense. What I'd do if I were Gaborik is say "You offerred Hossa $8 million/year. I think that`s where it should be for me too."

PU Veillieux and PM Bouchard are both RFAs. I'd trade them both. Bouchard is young and could be a decent scorer, but he's a perimeter guy and really only performs well if he has room to skate. Trade him for a guy who can create offense rather than just the usual capitalizing on other teams' mistakes. It appears, however, that Bouchard will be re-signed in some way.

They lost out on Naslund too. This one actually surprised me. I think Naslund would have fit in well in Minnesota.

Dubay, yesterday, was talking about the Wild ownership's new style this off season and whether it was a good thing or not and whether it would work or not. I once again go back to my previous statements in past posts when I say that it probably won't work this off season. The aggressive attitude is a good one to have, one that shows that the Wild are indeed willing to correct the abysmal attitude of previous off seasons. However, the players aren't fooled. Sure, the Wild got Zidlicky, Miettinen, and Brunette, but really, Brunette is a 3rd or 4th liner now, Zidlicky is another Jonsson/Burns (at best), and Miettinen, on a good night, is a second liner.

The Wild will more than likely not address their weakness in the area of stay at home defensemen that are gritty. They seem to go after character guys that are good lunch-pail/role player types. Why? Their AHL affiliate is FULL of those types of players. They are younger and cheaper too. They need a first pairing defenseman like Redden, Blake, or Stuart would have been and they need a player like Naslund and Hossa. They get that, and they're solid.

Dagies- I both agree and disagree with you. I think Gabby plays like that because he know what we all know, whether we'd like to admit it or not: He IS the Wild offense. What I'd do if I were Gaborik is say "You offerred Hossa $8 million/year. I think that`s where it should be for me too."

There is a post on line the other day that said Gabby is going to ask for 10 million, I don't know how true it is but I could see it happening.

Well, the Wild have "addressed" their needs in scoring and grit by signing 55 year old winger Owen Nolan. He was good like...10 years ago, but still. Yet another example of the tired old mantra of when in doubt, sign old players. 5.5 million for a 36 year old winger. Disappointment.

Quick edit: 3 am post time! WOW! Well, it is actually 9am when I posted this. I'm in London which is 6 hours ahead of your time.

You are very right, time for Gabby to be a leader.

As great as Gaboric can be as an individual player I almost wish the Wild would trade him. It seems when I watch a Wild game as soon as Gaboric gets the puck it's a 1 man game. The guy should play in the NBA not the NHL. When I think of the great players the Sioux have had (Hrkac, Parise, Toews, Oshie, Panzer, etc) they all made the players around them better. Gaboric seems to exist to catch the puck. At least that's the way it seems to me.

I've always thought Koivu is the guy they should be "building" around. Jaques should also let him wear the "C" full time instead of playing the captain merry-go-round.