SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

Does Nevermann just not cut it at LB?  He is suppose to be an inside LB right.  Or is he on the two deep at ILB but just doesn't mention him on this write up.  With how could he looked in spring ball back in 2016 as a RB, with him now converting to LB and his size.....listed at 220.... surprised he isn't getting more playing time with the injuries at ILB. 

I watched neverman and Murray on kick cover Saturday and I thought Murray was trying to make a play and neverman was not.  Murray is the guy who caused one of the holding penalties on Saturday.  Great hustle and effort, neverman not so much IMO.

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I watched neverman and Murray on kick cover Saturday and I thought Murray was trying to make a play and neverman was not.  Murray is the guy who caused one of the holding penalties on Saturday.  Great hustle and effort, neverman not so much IMO.

Maybe that is why he wanted to play RB instead of LB, maybe just doesn't have that natural aggressiveness you need on defense.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Risky said:

Isn't there going to be a weekly television show on UND sports?    Have they just not had their first one or what?  Anybody know?

Sounds like there won't be one. Discussed here 

Edit: sounds like no hockey show, not sure about the rest I guess

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, Risky said:

Isn't there going to be a weekly television show on UND sports?    Have they just not had their first one or what?  Anybody know?

Yeah no doubt, I searched for UND Sports Extra and I wasn't seeing it.  Am I just missing it, has there been one this year? 

Here's where UND sits through 3 games.

Utah - L - FBS school from a P5 conference, expected, no harm done on the national stage

Missouri State - - Blow out, shut out against a MVFC school -- regardless of how MSU finishes this year, big enough win and impressive enough win where it'll look good

USD -- Blow out loss, looks bad

Perception isn't always reality, but there are going to be so many variables going forward that we're far from hitting the panic button. We all know how poorly UND played yesterday and it wasn't indicative of how they started the season. If this was an aberration and they turn it around starting next weekend, the USD loss will just be a blip on the screen. They don't have a bad loss (as far as opponents go) yet, but they'll have the chance to get some quality wins starting with Montana State who took SDSU down to the wire. They still have a chance when people bring up USD down the line this year, you can point to A, B & C. 

Here's how UND's opponents look through 3 weeks:
Utah: 3-0 (W - UND, BYU, SJSU)
Missouri St: 1-2 (W - Murray St; L - Missouri, UND)
USD: 3-0 (W - Drake, Bowling Green, UND)
Mont St: 0-2 (L - Washington St, SDSU)
UC-Davis: 2-1 (W - San Diego, Port St; L - San Diego St)
UNC: 1-1 (W - College of Idaho, L - Colorado)
Mont: 2-1 (W - Valpo, Savannah St; L - Washington)
Sac St: 1-2 (W - Incarnate World, L - Idaho, Weber)
Port St: 0-3 (L - BYU, Oregon St, UC-Davis)
SUU: 2-1 (W - SFA, UNI; L - Oregon)
EWU: 1-2 (W - Fordham; L - Texas Tech, NDSU)

Summary: No real bad losses for any of those schools, which is good. Out of the 15 losses, 10 are to FBS teams, 3 to top 25 FCS teams and the other 2 were inter-conference games someone had to lose. Some cupcakes padding up the W side, but also some good wins against OOC teams like San Diego, SFA, UNI and Fordham. Overall, nothing real great, but also nothing that is hugely detrimental in Strength of Schedule. UND can take one more loss and be fine. Two more makes things a lot tougher and brings in a ton of outside factors they have no control over. Of course running the table solves everything but need to take care of the next game first and show whether Saturday was just a complete aberration or a sign of things to come.

• Upvote 1

Playoffs aren't going to happen. Here's a question to those in the know. Even when guys get healthy (OL for example), will we see more substituting in game to get experience for those young players like Mortell / Blair? Same goes for QB, safety's even if healthy. More than if we were actually in the hunt?

Last week was bitter that fans were going to throw in the towel for the year.  This week, I'm one of them.

We need a QB like Murray or Streveler to at least practice against.  The injuries have devastating our defense and even OL.  This is a development year, as much as I hate to say it, but there is no LB's available to play. Having safety's playing at LB just doesn't cut it, and having a OL that doesn't create holes is worse.  My regret is that actually was looking forward to the playoffs and progressing - and that is dead now.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Last week was bitter that fans were going to throw in the towel for the year.  This week, I'm one of them.

We need a QB like Murray or Streveler to at least practice against.  The injuries have devastating our defense and even OL.  This is a development year, as much as I hate to say it, but there is no LB's available to play. Having safety's playing at LB just doesn't cut it, and having a OL that doesn't create holes is worse.  My regret is that actually was looking forward to the playoffs and progressing - and that is dead now.

This is turning into 2002. I can't remember which poster made that point earlier in the week but I have the same sinking feeling I had that year.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is turning into 2002. I can't remember which poster made that point earlier in the week but I have the same sinking feeling I had that year.

I was in Brookings the day we beat SDSU and Klosterman got hurt diving into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown. Driving home in the autumn rain, I knew losing Klosterman was the final nail in the coffin for that season. Looks like that is the case again this year. :(

This D would have trouble stopping great HS running backs. I'm just worried about the recruits we had in from Wisconsin today. Will they come here? Or maybe it's a good thing-anyone on D will think they can come in and play next year as will anyone that is a WR or QB or O lineman.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I was in Brookings the day we beat SDSU and Klosterman got hurt diving into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown. Driving home in the autumn rain, I knew losing Klosterman was the final nail in the coffin for that season. Looks like that is the case again this year. :(

I was thinking of 2002 also. A one loss team to a down season to getting things going to play for another title. Bubba needs to get the right people in there and get this team in the right direction. Rudolph needs to be gone. Our offense has sputtered since Muss left, and if it wasn't for our running attack and defense our team would be mimicking the Muss era. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that Rudolph is NOT good, but ...

Poor O'line play means NO running game. The WR's are not speedy enough to get separation and the QB needs to learn to adjust quickly as the main WR is not open and that's NOT his thing. I think they could be more creative with Santiago in the slot (and NOT Olivera) but any OC coming in would be shocked at the lack of speed or our WR's/TE's

Injuries have taken this team from a legit playoff team to one that is struggling right now.

Reading some of these threads on firing coaches reminds me of BV forums from 08-09.

IMO, as an outsider looking in, Bubba has this team going in the right direction but injuries can turn a potentially great season into a dumpster fire real quick.

Running the table gets this team in the playoffs.  Can it be done?  Sure it can.  EWU is home.  Montana is a mess.  Schedule is a favorable one.

Remember in the off-season when there was all this talk about finding ways to get Santiago the ball in space, lining him up in the slot, etc. etc.... other than a screen pass or 2, it hasn't happened. 

If you are not capable of playing the smash-mouth style you want, then time to add some new wrinkles & get a little creative. Sucks when our most talented & game changing offensive player is on the sidelines every other series. Be nice to see him & Brady on the field together. 

• Upvote 2