SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Bison fans just can't admit that they offered Zeke Ott.  Even their mouthpiece #2 Uglem is lying about it.  Waiting for mouthpiece #1 to chime in..... 

I've heard mouth piece #1 admit they did offer and the relationship he had with UND coaches was pretty tight.  That fan base is so obnoxious today.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Bison fans just can't admit that they offered Zeke Ott.  Even their mouthpiece #2 Uglem is lying about it.  Waiting for mouthpiece #1 to chime in..... 

Funny.  I don't really care if they offered him or didn't, but the folks that say he was offered by NDSU are fairly reliable sources.......

Also saying they only offered JJ a PWO - I thought I heard they offered him some money although not sure how much.

12 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

I suppose they have to write about something, but lists like this at the FCS level are crazy. Recruiting even at its highest levels can be a crap shoot, but when you get to the FCS ranks 90% of the players aren't even on the radar for most national recruiting gurus. It would be interesting to see how this list was compiled.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I suppose they have to write about something, but lists like this at the FCS level are crazy. Recruiting even at its highest levels can be a crap shoot, but when you get to the FCS ranks 90% of the players aren't even on the radar for most national recruiting gurus. It would be interesting to see how this list was compiled.

You're right this list should be done in 2020 to know who actually has the best 2017 recruiting class. Anything before that his pure and utter speculation. Typically, (not always) these lists are thrown together by morons with a monetary goal in mind. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It's just offseason stuff to talk about. Most people understand how big of a crap shoot recruiting is.

• Upvote 1

I heard PJ Fleck from Minnesota this morning on the radio and he was talking about how he would prefer a lower rated player with the right attitude over a higher-rated player with the wrong attitude. I think this is the margin that Bubba will do a really good job working and even though our recruiting classes have been good under him, I think they will outperform a lot of higher-rated classes.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Isn't that more of a weighted average* of five classes? 

*Seniors carrying the most impact, then juniors, etc. 

Theoretically, you are right. With that said, the top teams should be at least labeled as having the "top recruiting classes" from four years prior. 

Just for the heck of it, you can see UND's classes improved significantly once Bubba and his staff arrived at UND:

2012 recruiting class players that contributed in 2016: QB Ryan Bartels, TE Joe Mollberg, TE Luke Matthewson, DL Alec Carrothers, LB Brian Labat, LB Taj Rich, LB Jake Hanson

2013 recruiting class players that contributed in 2016: OL Dan Bell, OL AJ Stockwell, OL Matt Cox, FB Kyle Norberg, LB Connor O'Brien, LB Jake Disterhaupt, S Cole Reyes

2014 recruiting class players that contributed in 2016: QB Studsrud, TE Luke Fiedler, TE/OL Jacob Francis, OL Adam Stiner, OL Demon Taylor, DL Brandon Dranka, DL Drew Greeley, DL Tank Harris, LB Dylan Bakker, S Charles Flowers, CB Deion Harris, LS Jacob Holmen, K Reid Taubenheim, OL Grant Aplin, FB Tyler Coyne, WR Luke Stanley

2014 > 2013 > 2012

I won't include the 2015 class, but obviously there are a bunch of very good contributing players from that class, as well. 

There was a lot of attrition from the 2012 and 2013 classes, partially due to a coaching change but also due to poor recruiting. Bubba's 2014 and 2015 classes (and even the 2016 class) won the Big Sky Conference in 2016, so I would rank the 2014 and 2015 classes as top 15 in the FCS for those respective years. 2016 class remains to be seen (based on how 2017, 2018, 2019, and even 2020 go) and obviously the same for the recent 2017 class.

If Bubba and the staff maintain their trajectory, UND should be signing a top 15 FCS class every season. I recently saw Hero sports (http://herosports.com/news/fcs-recruiting-top-50-recruiting-classes-2017) ranked UND as having the 26th ranked class in 2017. Obviously I'm biased, but I feel UND should have a way higher ranking than that. Only time will tell, I guess. Obviously, performance is based on not only the players (which is largest factor, though) but also the coaching and schemes. Bubba has UND on pace to be an annual top 10 FCS program, hands down, and I believe the recruiting classes should reflect that. 

55 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

Does anyone know where Quintin Seguin (the DE from Canada) ended up? I had heard that his coach thought he should go FBS. The Canadian football website still lists him as a North Dakota commit.

On his couch, uncommitted.