SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

I have personally never had a bad meal at The Blue Moose in Grand Forks. Great menu, very good service and it's a fun atmosphere on a Sioux Gamenight.

Green Mill is also a good place to get some apps and a beer before/after a game. Someone needs to re-open Suite 49.

I guess the Ralph looked into Suite 49 not to long ago but the guy who owns it wants a lot of money just in rent (I was told it was super high). Which leads me to believe Suite 49 will not reopen anytime soon. That place lost money in each of its three years of operating, I guess that's what you get when you have a deep pocketbook and you let your daughter run the place!

A little off topic but does anyone remember an ice cream joint over where Fat Alberts and Slapshot used to have their store kind of on the corner of 20th and Gateway next to the Little Ceasers or the tire place. I vaguely remember as I was little and my grandpa used to take me there for ice cream For some reason the Big Dipper comes to mind. I am not sure if that was the treat i got or the name of the ice cream shoppe. I also remember Happy Joes having much more ice cream and old fashion candy in the front of the restaurant. Those huge lollipops. You could also watch pizzas being made through a little window. Shakeys and Toppers were both good as well. I agree with Darell that the squirt tub of cheese was the best. I liked the nacho cheese. Fuddruckers as someone mentioned is pretty similar.

A little off topic but does anyone remember an ice cream joint over where Fat Alberts and Slapshot used to have their store kind of on the corner of 20th and Gateway next to the Little Ceasers or the tire place. I vaguely remember as I was little and my grandpa used to take me there for ice cream For some reason the Big Dipper comes to mind. I am not sure if that was the treat i got or the name of the ice cream shoppe. I also remember Happy Joes having much more ice cream and old fashion candy in the front of the restaurant. Those huge lollipops. You could also watch pizzas being made through a little window. Shakeys and Toppers were both good as well. I agree with Darell that the squirt tub of cheese was the best. I liked the nacho cheese. Fuddruckers as someone mentioned is pretty similar.

Softees (spelling may be off) was an ice cream place across from Hugo's on 20th and next door to Judy's Bar. It then changed its name to EJ's Soft Serve. The building is still there. That is the only place I remember being an ice cream place on 20th besides the DQ in its current location on Washington and N. 5th St. Brings back a lot of memories especially growing up in that neighborhood.

Pizza Unlimited was where A&W was. Jacoby's is where the stereo fix it place is on the southwest corner of 20th and Gateway.

Oh okay. I was in elementary school when I remember it on Gateway. You had Pizza Unlimited and Howard's Pizza which I think was by El Roco.

Talking about former Grand Forks restaurants, I can't believe 42nd Street Eatery hasn't been mentioned yet ???

I miss that place.

How about the place that moved into that building when it moved....Dagwoods!! Before the smoking ban at GF bars went into effect, this was the only bar in Grand Forks that was smoke free!! Deffinitely a plus for people that didn't want to reak of smoke after being out at a bar. Loved the sandwiches and the Mug Club deals were pretty good. Got a couple mugs from there in my cupboard right now!!

Yup, Shakey's (in the strip mall on S. Washington) is where my wife and I had our first date back in September of 1970, married in June of 1971 and just celebrated our 41st last month. Is Shakey's out of business everywhere now, does anyone know?

Is Slap Shot Pizza still open? Talk about a hole in the wall place that made great pizza and breadsticks. When I was in high school and we had tournaments etc. in GF for hockey that was the first call we made at the hotel.

When I went to UND I'm guessing I financed their payroll....

Is Slap Shot Pizza still open? Talk about a hole in the wall place that made great pizza and breadsticks. When I was in high school and we had tournaments etc. in GF for hockey that was the first call we made at the hotel.

When I went to UND I'm guessing I financed their payroll....

Slap Shot is still open. They moved up to Gateway where Happy Harry's was years ago (and I think Domino's was there for a while). They have Fat Albert's Subs, too.

They now have a pulled pork sandwich. My son says its really good...I will stick with the double bigger burger. :D

I was very torn last time I was there. Couldn't decide if I should get the pork or the burger. Almost had a meltdown.

All good burger recommendations. Grand forks would be complete if they got a Smash Burger or a Lark Burger. Those two places have some of the best chain / fast food burgers that I have had.

Smash Burger has got to be the most ridiculous and douchey name for a burger joint ever. I avoided that place like the plague because of the name and the labels that would be placed on me if I was seen there. I got dragged there kicking, screaming, and hungover. I felt betrayed. It was an excellent burger and I'd recommend it.

I was very torn last time I was there. Couldn't decide if I should get the pork or the burger. Almost had a meltdown.

Smash Burger has got to be the most ridiculous and douchey name for a burger joint ever. I avoided that place like the plague because of the name and the labels that would be placed on me if I was seen there. I got dragged there kicking, screaming, and hungover. I felt betrayed. It was an excellent burger and I'd recommend it.

What is better Smash Burger or Five Guys Burger? I don't like to drive all the way to south Fargo for a burger, unless I know its a really damn good one.

What is better Smash Burger or Five Guys Burger? I don't like to drive all the way to south Fargo for a burger, unless I know its a really damn good one.

I like Five Guys personally. I think most people do. I don't think I would complain about either of them though if someone wants to go to one in particular. But yeah, its a bit of a drive though from North Fargo. If I'm in the area though, it is worth considering.