SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

Thanks for all the kind words about the Hub and Rae Ann fellas. When you read my post about the 16 letters she earned at UND one might raise an eyebrow. The sport seasons back then were very short. She lettered in Basketball, Track, Tennis and maybe her best sport softball. Just talked to my mother about this and she reminded me about a fire on campus that burnt her info. Both parents are still alive and that would be there dream to see her inducted into UND's Hall of Fame. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the kind words about the Hub and Rae Ann fellas. When you read my post about the 16 letters she earned at UND one might raise an eyebrow. The sport seasons back then were very short. She lettered in Basketball, Track, Tennis and maybe her best sport softball. Just talked to my mother about this and she reminded me about a fire on campus that burnt her info. Both parents are still alive and that would be there dream to see her inducted into UND's Hall of Fame. Thanks again.

With that many letters she should be inducted. Somebody help my memory but Ralph never graduated did he and he is in the hall is he not?

Thank you!

People get confused sometimes because he did leave school for a while to go play pro hockey. He went back to school to get his degree when he realized that he wasn't going to make the NHL. But he always said that his education at UND was very important in his business success.

People get confused sometimes because he did leave school for a while to go play pro hockey. He went back to school to get his degree when he realized that he wasn't going to make the NHL. But he always said that his education at UND was very important in his business success.

I thought Ralph turned down a pro contract and went straight into his business interests?

I thought Ralph turned down a pro contract and went straight into his business interests?

From the Ralph Engelstad papers at the Chester Fritz Library, http://webapp.und.edu/dept/library/Collections/og1451.html. He left school after 2 years to play minor league hockey (and work construction in the summer). He went back to finish school after another 2 years. He got his degree. He was offered another pro contract, turned it down, and started his business.

Ralph Engelstad was born January 28, 1930 in Thief River Falls, Minnesota, to Christian and Madeline (Thill) Engelstad. He was one of five children. His grandfather emigrated from Norway to the United States in 1882. During high school Ralph Engelstad worked construction during the summer for Agsco, where his father was employed as a salesman. In 1948, under the suggestion and help of chemistry professor Ben Gustafson, he entered the University of North Dakota, where he was a goalie on the hockey team. After two years he left school to continue work and play minor league hockey in California. He returned to UND in 1952. In a posthumously published retrospective in the Grand Forks Herald on November 30, 2002, Engelstad wrote that "if it hadn’t been for professor Gustafson and the Fighting Sioux hockey team, I most likely would not have gotten an education" nor achieved what he had.

In 1954, Engelstad graduated with a degree in commerce from UND. Also that year he married Betty Stocker of East Grand Forks, Minnesota. Upon graduation, Engelstad was offered a contract to play professional hockey with the Chicago Blackhawks, according to a November 28, 2002, article in the Grand Forks Herald. He turned it down and took out a $2,500 loan from Valley Bank in Grand Forks to start his own construction company in the Grand Forks area. He contracted with Agsco, his former employer, and had much success.

From the Ralph Engelstad papers at the Chester Fritz Library, http://webapp.und.ed...ons/og1451.html. He left school after 2 years to play minor league hockey (and work construction in the summer). He went back to finish school after another 2 years. He got his degree. He was offered another pro contract, turned it down, and started his business.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

From the Ralph Engelstad papers at the Chester Fritz Library, http://webapp.und.ed...ons/og1451.html. He left school after 2 years to play minor league hockey (and work construction in the summer). He went back to finish school after another 2 years. He got his degree. He was offered another pro contract, turned it down, and started his business.

I second that thank you.

The first and original JL in downtown Fargo was better than their satellite places now popping up

I always thought the original restaurant was in West Fargo? Am I wrong on that?

EDIT: Never mind, after a little digging, I did find that the original did open in downtown Fargo.

JL > five guys

Rhombus would be alot better if the crust wasn't always so soggy, which i'm assuming is due to the !@#!$ ovens.

Two restaurants I miss are campbells fresh (which > JL, BTW), and Joe Dimagios. Never got to try to do the colossal burger before it closed in 2006.

EDIT: joe blacks has pretty decent bar food, just leave before 8.

JL > five guys

Rhombus would be alot better if the crust wasn't always so soggy, which i'm assuming is due to the !@#!$ ovens.

Two restaurants I miss are campbells fresh (which > JL, BTW), and Joe Dimagios. Never got to try to do the colossal burger before it closed in 2006.

EDIT: joe blacks has pretty decent bar food, just leave before 8.

That is because they do not have a good pizza oven. Convection baking is not the way to make a pizza.

Yeah they both are bad. The only thing that is any good at the Pepper are the grinders. But then how can you slice ham so thin that it is transparent?

Exactly. Ridiculous how the grinder gets more expensive every year but they shave the ham/turkey the thickness of a sheet of paper. Joke.

That is because they do not have a good pizza oven. Convection baking is not the way to make a pizza.

I've never been to the place in question, but I doubt convection heat is so much a problem (convection probably does a better job of simulating the heat distribution of a brick oven than a regular oven would) as that the convection ovens in question just don't get hot enough. You generally run a brick oven at least 600F, up to 800F or so if you're making a Neapolitan. You can cook a pizza at a lower temperature, but you can't get the charred blistered crust most people (outside Chicago) think of as necessary for a good pie.