SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

I have to agree. I don't think I ever visited the Pepper during daylight ... is it even open then? Usually, we went there after bar hopping. Otherwise it was the Big Sioux for fries and gravy. And there's no way either place would be classified as "fine dining", I don't care how many shots you did ... :lol::hypocrite:

Big Sioux on Gateway or the Tomahawk? Arch's place or the Kuklok place? Simonsons are nice people and so are the Kukloks.

Big Sioux on Gateway or the Tomahawk? Arch's place or the Kuklok place? Simonsons are nice people and so are the Kukloks.

The original Big Sioux on Gateway(?). I went to the newer plaza a few years ago when I was passing through GF, and it still had good food at a good price.

The original Big Sioux on Gateway(?). I went to the newer plaza a few years ago when I was passing through GF, and it still had good food at a good price.

I suppose I should have asked for a time frame. The Kukloks use to run the cafe in the Big Sioux Truck Stop for years but called the cafe the Tomahawk. They then moved across the street next to StaMart. When Spicers bought the truck stop from Enoch Thorsgaard they ran the cafe and when Arch bought it from Spicers he ran the cafe. The only thing that changed in all those years was the pancake batter. Other wise the food is still the same as when the Kukloks ran it. It was great when the Kukloks ran it because on weekends I would go out there and eat in the kitchen with Moose, Tiger, and Shannon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My friend is opening a full restaurant, bar, and golf simulators in the old Suite 49.I know he has been hard at work on this for quite sometime with many potential locations falling through.

But he signed the lease today. You can check out the Facebook page :

http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=146065128824380&__user=29405542

Albatross Eatery, Alehouse, and Golf.

Description Two top-of-the-line golf simulators will be available for rental seven days a week. The simulators will also be utilized for leagues, tournaments, lessons, and detailed club fittings. This will be a full service restaurant, open for lunch and dinner. The bar will offer beer and wine, along with an assortment of ciders and malt beverages. Simulators and lounge areas available for private bookings, such as birthday parties, bachelor/bachelorette parties, and business meetings and/or social outings. A stage, along with a high end audio setup, will be used for live entertainment. Table tennis will also be available on a rental basis. Tournaments and leagues are also a possibility for table tennis. Indoor golf, along with great food and drinks will be the focus, but there are lots of possibilities to make the experience even better!

My friend is opening a full restaurant, bar, and golf simulators in the old Suite 49.I know he has been hard at work on this for quite sometime with many potential locations falling through.

http://m.facebook.co...__user=29405542

Does he have a lot of capital reserves?

Couldn't really tell ya. I don't know the terms of the lease or anything, but just buying those golf simulators ain't cheap. I believe he said they were over $100,000 a piece.

Wish him the best of luck. Tough business to make a go of. Most of the time their overhead is what does them in.

That place looks pretty sweet!! Plenty of golfers in GF looking for a place to swing the sticks in the winter. Hope the place is a success. Keep us posted to when it is opening.

I like to golf and have some beers. I have never played a simulator but from the sounds of it, they are pretty accurate.

The simulators are pretty cool...especially if you have played some of the course for real. I'll give the place a shot for sure.

He might fail. I don't have blind optimism, even established names close as we all know. But hey he has a plan and is filling his goals.

I like to golf and have some beers. I have never played a simulator but from the sounds of it, they are pretty accurate.

I hope he makes it. A guy throwing it all in chasing his dream is a great thing. He will for surely need to keep the price right to get returns. If he charges too much he will get someone once and done. Some guys might go in before they head for Phoenix or Florida. What will he do though between May and September? That is almost half the year. Better come up with a good menu and cook.

You know I am trying to figure out who is really backing him on this. Andrew has not had any type of employment in the last 10 years where he made enough really to even pay his rent or to live day to day. Now he is starting something where he needs at least 300K to open? I got this from his application for his license. Furthermore, what does he even know about running a bar? He has not worked at one unless he lied on his application. The city is going to want to know where he is getting the money or who he is fronting for.