SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

I remember when the Alerus was built...wasn't too up to date on "is it UND paying......GF City...both?"  When I found out that it was Publicly Funded and that UND would just rent it that was new to me.  I then asked someone that knew about this stuff and he said UND doesn't have the money to build something like that and that it's a miracle that this will pass and if it does UND will have a nice indoor home for the next 50 years on the cheap (rent).  

I then said why isn't there any long-term strategic planning going on now for the next "Home of the Sioux"....good question he said. What if UND back in 1928? said this Memorial Stadium isn't going to last forever and always was planning really long term to raise money for the next Memorial Stadium?

They didn't and that is water under the bridge but when UND got bailed out with the Alerus Center shouldn't the people at UND have a plan (and a way to pay it) for AFTER the Alerus Center?

So if UND has a plan for after the Alerus Center should they have a plan to raise a large amount of money over time?

How about 1 dollar from every FB tix sold goes into a "New Memorial Stadium Pot"....AND setup 4 fundraising booths at the Alerus for every home game.  One in each corner of the upper concourse.  At these fundraising booth you have nice looking ladies and guys with a mockup of a New Memorial Stadium over their shoulders and a QR code anyone can scan to donate thru Venmo, GPay, CashApp and whatnot.  Obviously accept cash and checks too (for the cottontops) and pump it live to a little square on the scoreboards with a live amount raised during each home game (like the 50/50 pot)? and another square showing the current value of the "New Memorial Fund".

So if we average 10K fans per game for average of 5 games per year and deposit it into a "lockbox" and assume 5 dollars per fan per 10K and the dollar per ticket with a 8% ROI....it would raise how much over 50 years? (i have google sheets number but wondering if the good finance guys would have a number?)

10,000 tickets sold at $1 per x 5 games=50k per year

10,000 tickets sold at $5 donation per fan x 5 games=250k per year

so 300k per year at 8% ROI for 50 years=?

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

So if we average 10K fans per game for average of 5 games per year and deposit it into a "lockbox" and assume 5 dollars per fan per 10K and the dollar per ticket with a 8% ROI....it would raise how much over 50 years? (i have google sheets number but wondering if the good finance guys would have a number?)

10,000 tickets sold at $1 per x 5 games=50k per year

10,000 tickets sold at $5 donation per fan x 5 games=250k per year

so 300k per year at 8% ROI for 50 years=?

About $186 million. 

Which would fund 100% of a stadium that today would cost $42 million.   (Assumes 3% inflation on the cost.)  

• Upvote 1

Where you going to turn a consistent 8% for 50 years?
And if you do, inflation (construction cost impact) will be more than 3%. 

And yes, I got $186M ($185.9M) also. 

Side thought: Would $186M rebuild Ralph/Oly/Betty today -> No Ralph to oversee costs as the general contractor and inflated construction material costs. Hint: $113M original price; assume 3% annual increase; 20 years old -> $204M

18 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

setup 4 fundraising booths at the Alerus for every home game.  One in each corner of the upper concourse.  At these fundraising booth you have nice looking ladies and guys with a mockup of a New Memorial Stadium over their shoulders and a QR code anyone can scan to donate thru Venmo, GPay, CashApp and whatnot.  Obviously accept cash and checks too (for the cottontops) and pump it live to a little square on the scoreboards with a live amount raised during each home game (like the 50/50 pot)? and another square showing the current value of the "New Memorial Fund".

I like this concept but I think the best purpose would be for short term fundraising projects rather than long-term planning.  People want to see results.  Show renderings on the video board during an ad spot.  I was really loud about how UND went about their fundraising for phase two of the HPC, and something like this would have been great along the way (or NOW to improve the project). 

I think they this idea could have worked at destination hockey games in Nashville and Vegas, as well, because they could have exposed the project to UND fans who may no longer live in the region or who may no longer be in-the-know about fundraising for a project like this, but may otherwise have been interested in donating.  They would have found new donors, no doubt.  When I was in Vegas and Nashville, I was suprised by the lack of fundraising efforts.  Should have been renderings of every project UND was working on and those special games should be treated more like huge fundraising events - filled with both passionate and casual UND fans, with money, willing to travel for UND, in a good mood, filled with UND spirit... no better time to educate people on facilities plans.  Many people at those games care about other sports more than, or just as much, as hockey.

• Upvote 3

NOW is the time to look and bumping out the South end of the Alerus though.  If GF is going to be investing a bunch of money at the Alerus site, they need to at least look into the possibility of tying it into the south side of the Alerus Center and adding a bar.  Connect the new practice fields to the football field at ground level and it could be a huge addition that could potentially be used for convention space, if the opportunity presented itself.  Connect the projects, add seats the the south side of the Alerus and add a bar/restaurant that serves both venue's.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-athletics-unveils-completed-wish-list-in-football-indoor-facililty

Will be fun to see our new facilities stack up against this place. I like our chances.

Yeah, both will be great facilities.  I love the housing tie in for UND's.  How cool would it be to be a football player living an memorial village... 

I like the design of NDSU's practice facility, especially that it's at ground level and the garage doors on the side of the field can be opened.  It has a ton more natural light.  

Now that Pollar phase two won't be as tall as planned, I'd like to see UND add windows or a way to get natural light into the building along it's west side, near the ceiling.  @The SicatokaHow much money will UND be saving by having it's practice field so far underground?  Significant difference in heating and cooling costs?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I like this concept but I think the best purpose would be for short term fundraising projects rather than long-term planning.  People want to see results.  Show renderings on the video board during an ad spot.  I was really loud about how UND went about their fundraising for phase two of the HPC, and something like this would have been great along the way (or NOW to improve the project). 

I think they this idea could have worked at destination hockey games in Nashville and Vegas, as well, because they could have exposed the project to UND fans who may no longer live in the region or who may no longer be in-the-know about fundraising for a project like this, but may otherwise have been interested in donating.  They would have found new donors, no doubt.  When I was in Vegas and Nashville, I was suprised by the lack of fundraising efforts.  Should have been renderings of every project UND was working on and those special games should be treated more like huge fundraising events - filled with both passionate and casual UND fans, with money, willing to travel for UND, in a good mood, filled with UND spirit... no better time to educate people on facilities plans.  Many people at those games care about other sports more than, or just as much, as hockey.

you plant a tree for the next generation.....plus the compounding interest will kick in the farther down the road you go.

we were probably in Memorial for 20 years too long....where would UND football be if the Alerus would've been voted down (again).  With how easy it is to use QR codes to send money they should be at every home game (vb, fb, bb, hockey) with a mock up of SOMETHING.....dare your drunk friend to drink and donate! get him to donate 10 bucks everytime he goes to get a beer!  put grandpa on the spot and say "you can't take it with you claude"....and visually seeing on the scoreboard live during the game would be fun (especially at the ndac game...espcially if we win...would be fun to see how much was/would be donated by people leaving the alerus after eating a w!"

eating-aw-win.gif

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

i always thought that und should tear down that "conference center" add-on on that nice old buidling across from the union and restore it to its original look (old frat or sorority?)...but i see out of nowhere the whole darn building got torn down?!  what's going in place of that????

1000002424.jpeg

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i always thought that und should tear down that "conference center" add-on on that nice old buidling across from the union and restore it to its original look (old frat or sorority?)...but i see out of nowhere the whole darn building got torn down?!  what's going in place of that????

1000002424.jpeg

Probably a Chipotle 

• Like 1

The Conference Center was in disrepair (bad windows, leaky roof) in the late 1980s. An empty lot looks better.

If Delta Tau Delta wanted to rebuild on that lot (presently next door) that'd be fine also. That's a fast busy intersection; getting the house away from it even 80 feet wouldn't be bad.