SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

30 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Which historic building should have been remodeled instead of demolished? The library is a great example of a successful remodel. 

I'd say the majority of them that were still structurally sound.  The library was "remodeled" not "demolished" so I don't see your argument there. 

47 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

und's ROTC?

those big glass block windows at hyslop...couldn't they be clear glass? and with the add on torn down you would get souther light/exposure

University of South Carolina Navy ROTC building

Glass block windows could easily be replaced with clear glass.  I was thinking more along the lines if if they were to add a second floor to the gymnasium area of Hyslop to make it classroom and office space.  The exterior walls would have natural light, the interior offices wouldn't unless they made the center into an atrium or courtyard space. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Which historic building should have been remodeled instead of demolished? The library is a great example of a successful remodel. 

the 3 i miss/would've/should've kept........corwin-larimore sethre hall (those two creamy ones)...and the one where nistler sits now.

8 hours ago, 61hawk said:

What buildings are they planning on tearing down next?  The campus is almost unrecognizable for those who don't live in the area.  Other universities renovate, UND demolishes.  Isn't it about time UND tears down the Chester Fritz Auditorium?

The Sigma Chi House. We tried to get it on the National Registry but they didn’t have a category for it. 

2 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Hahahahahaha.  The nice thing is old takes like yours will “die” out soon.  Go Hawks!!!

So your decision is to go from sunshine pumper to the "you're old" comment.  I will always be a Fighting Sioux fan, while you'll always be a fan of Mike Hawk.

Now that you're showing your age, just know that some of us... maybe more than a few may just have banged your mom if she went to UND.

This message to me explains a lot:

Trump lost.  Vaccines work.  Go UND Fighting Hawks.  Let’s take this private.  Thoughts on things I’ve said?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m not making an argument. I’m asking you a question which you hit the easy button on.

I'd' say the Beck/Walsh/Squires dorms to begin with, Dorms are easy to renovate.  There were some buildings the block or two to the east, I don't remember the names but I remember I took Comp I in one of them.  They went down a few years ago.  I haven't kept up with everything that's been torn down since I don't live in the area, but UND's procedure for renovation is to demolish and rebuild rather than renovate existing buildings.  In 50 years these buildings will be trashed and it'll start all over.

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

The Sigma Chi House. We tried to get it on the National Registry but they didn’t have a category for it. 

Why is that house coming down?  That's a frat house that I can't see needing to be replaced.  Hell the Sigma Nu house burned to the exterior walls and they stabbed a guy to death in it and they rebuilt back to original with a fire suppression system.  But to be fair, the frat houses aren't university owned property.  Is the SAE house still standing?  That was a fun rush house, back when wet rush was allowed... $5 for an admission card good for the whole week of drinking at any house.  Nothing like attending UND back in the 80's.

I always thought it was funny that Sigma Nu at UND was the ultra-douchy preppy fraternity on campus (with Sigma Chi a very close second) and SAE was the Animal House fraternity whereas at NDSU it was just the opposite.  I knew Sigma Nu'ers who wouldn't even acknowledge their brothers at NDSU.

1 hour ago, 61hawk said:

So your decision is to go from sunshine pumper to the "you're old" comment.  I will always be a Fighting Sioux fan, while you'll always be a fan of Mike Hawk.

Now that you're showing your age, just know that some of us... maybe more than a few may just have banged your mom if she went to UND.

This message to me explains a lot:

Trump lost.  Vaccines work.  Go UND Fighting Hawks.  Let’s take this private.  Thoughts on things I’ve said?

Go UND. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2023 at 6:11 PM, 61hawk said:

Why is that house coming down?  That's a frat house that I can't see needing to be replaced.  Hell the Sigma Nu house burned to the exterior walls and they stabbed a guy to death in it and they rebuilt back to original with a fire suppression system.  But to be fair, the frat houses aren't university owned property.  Is the SAE house still standing?  That was a fun rush house, back when wet rush was allowed... $5 for an admission card good for the whole week of drinking at any house.  Nothing like attending UND back in the 80's.

I always thought it was funny that Sigma Nu at UND was the ultra-douchy preppy fraternity on campus (with Sigma Chi a very close second) and SAE was the Animal House fraternity whereas at NDSU it was just the opposite.  I knew Sigma Nu'ers who wouldn't even acknowledge their brothers at NDSU.

When was the big fire at Sigma Nu and when did a guy get stabbed?  

I do wish that there was a way to keep the venue portion of Hyslop.  I have many fond memories of that place.  I watched many great basketball games there, including the days of Phil Jackson.  Running the UND indoor track meets.  Shrine Circus.  I also remember going to a Boy/Cub Scout event there when they had the just had the dirt floors. There was a teepee in there with a small open fire and they were making pancakes.  Not sure how they got away with that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I do wish that there was a way to keep the venue portion of Hyslop.  I have many fond memories of that place.  I watched many great basketball games there, including the days of Phil Jackson.  Running the UND indoor track meets.  Shrine Circus.  I also remember going to a Boy/Cub Scout event there when they had the just had the dirt floors. There was a teepee in there with a small open fire and they were making pancakes.  Not sure how they got away with that.

UND WBB won their first NCAA title there in 1997. An accomplishment we had waited a long time for.

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2023 at 5:45 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wish they would've made the fishbowl in the libarary old school harry potter stuff.....time lock it in the 1800's.

My god.  One of the worst design decision I've ever seen (imo)...   I used to study there because it had a bit of that classic old money university feel to it.  Legitimately pisses me off that the design, furniture, and vibe are the same as the rest of the library (cheap/modern/basic).  Harry Potter is a great example, as you mentioned.. A library like that is something that I would expect to see at any old big time school.  Would have loved to see the glass replaced with open balconies as well.

image.png.66812a08fef07f44c201b050f9328a11.png

image.png

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I agree and think they should have kept the venue portion.  How much would it cost in todays dollars to build the shell of that building and the cement seating? 

Had they decided to keep it, money that will soon need to be spent on building additional practice courts at the betty could have instead have been spent on a renovation (and an addition at the Betty wouldn't be needed.

A smaller version of something like this would have been perfect, long term.
Reynolds Coliseum Renovation and Walk of Fame - CRA Associates, Inc.NC State Wolfpack removes seats, adds amenities in Reynolds Coliseum  overhaul - ESPNimage.thumb.png.c4c45c92ffe2082e3d87ae8de9af65d5.png

• Like 1