SiouxSports.com Forum

Could NDSU ever compete with UND in Hockey?

Bison101

6 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I don't think it would take a long time, the right coach and the right facility and they can get enough talented players to have a competitive team.  The issue is money,  Hockey is really expensive to start, NDSU would need a gift similar to penn state, otherwise the Fargo Moorhead area has more than enough people willing to buy hockey tickets. But they need to do it before Moorhead state try's again.

But once you get it off the ground, it can be profitable and a reliable revenue source. Eventually, they would beat us in hockey, but it would take some time. Personally, I would love to play FU in hockey, that would make the rivalry with Minnesota and Denver look like a love-fest by comparison.

15 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I don't think it would take a long time, the right coach and the right facility and they can get enough talented players to have a competitive team.  The issue is money,  Hockey is really expensive to start, NDSU would need a gift similar to penn state, otherwise the Fargo Moorhead area has more than enough people willing to buy hockey tickets. But they need to do it before Moorhead state try's again.

Replying to a post that was made a decade ago like it was written yesterday, I love it

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahaha.... the post he responded to remarked on BSU being around for 5 or 6 years and taking Denver to OT in the first round.

Okay but its still a valid question for debate considering Penn state, AZ state have added hockey and now UNLV is likely to add hockey in the near future. Maybe time to renew the discussion.

16 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Okay but its still a valid question for debate considering Penn state, AZ state have added hockey and now UNLV is likely to add hockey in the near future. Maybe time to renew the discussion.

NDSU wants nothing to do with starting D1 hockey.  The majority of their resources go to football and they are stretched pretty thin everywhere else.  Took them years just to renovate the BSA. Zero chance they will spend the time, money, and resources to start D1 hockey.  Discussion closed. ;)

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Typically you'd have to have some sort of a development in the thread topic to really engage anyone in dusting off a 10 year old thread. There are multiple threads on college hockey expansion. Unless there is some sort of news regarding NDSU and college hockey, kind of a silly thread to get going.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Typically you'd have to have some sort of a development in the thread topic to really engage anyone in dusting off a 10 year old thread. There are multiple threads on college hockey expansion. Unless there is some sort of news regarding NDSU and college hockey, kind of a silly thread to get going.

So should ArchyAlum11 be banned for this? :silly:

Cripes, give him a break, it's not that big of a deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So should ArchyAlum11 be banned for this? :silly:

Cripes, give him a break, it's not that big of a deal.

Banned? Uh, no. Where the eff did that come from?

Lol did I really make it a big deal? Like he said, he's new. Trying to help. Relax, bub.

5 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

New to the forms forgive the oversight. I promise I will preform penance via self flagellation later.

If my post came off harsh, it really wasn't my intention. No biggy at all. Just trying to help.

Will someone please come to my aid and vouch for my credibility that I'm not a total meany pants? :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Interesting.  Where is this coming from?  

1 minute ago, WYOBISONMAN said:

Jesus........I saw this old thread and thought that I had a stroke......2006?!?!

WYO ... you're awake. What do you remember about the accident? We have something to tell you. You've been asleep for a while ... it's 2016. ... Nurse! Paddles! CLEAR! < bah-wump >  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Shawn-O said:

Interesting.  Where is this coming from?  

A couple of articles are coming out stating that they are looking to add it soon, Now that the NHL is coming to town and the arena the the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL had used is basically just collecting dust since the team went belly up a few years back.

4 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

A couple of articles are coming out stating that they are looking to add it soon, Now that the NHL is coming to town and the arena the the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL had used is basically just collecting dust since the team went belly up a few years back.

I hope you're right!  Nothing wrong with more entertainment options!  

23 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

New to the forms forgive the oversight. I promise I will preform penance via self flagellation later.

We require video evidence you can just upload when you're finished. But I'd think Fargo would if they could get a sweet deal from the city over at the Scheels arena. They know that i29 is a trail of headlights game night. 

8 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

I hope you're right!  Nothing wrong with more entertainment options!  

That is part of the reason the could do well, People will travel to watch there team play there, Their is abundance of cheap flights to Vegas, and an abundance of good hotel deals at diffrent levels. Plus can anyone say $5.00 Lobster Dog?

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Banned? Uh, no. Where the eff did that come from?

Lol did I really make it a big deal? Like he said, he's new. Trying to help. Relax, bub.

If my post came off harsh, it really wasn't my intention. No biggy at all. Just trying to help.

Will someone please come to my aid and vouch for my credibility that I'm not a total meany pants? :)

I can vouch your a tenda a bar tenda 

As much I don't care for the Bison, I think it would elevate hockey at every level in North Dakota if NDSU had a D-I program. I find it hard to believe there isn't a contingent of wealthy NDSU alums who follow the game who haven't/wouldn't step up similar to the guy out in Tempe and help fund a program. The Sheels Center would be the perfect location in the near- and mid-term and if the sport grew in popularity, they could always consider building a bigger, on-campus arena. What great regional rivalries with UND, Omaha, St. Cloud, and Mankato, to name a few NDSU could have once they're established. I believe a rising tide lifts all boats and this could be great for western expansion of the game and could really propel ND high school and youth hockey as more and more kids would want to play hockey due in part to the interest a Bison hockey team would generate. Someone else mentioned it too that could you imagine the rivalry between UND and NDSU?!?! I would guarantee the Ralph would be packed to the gills when the Bison come to town-and vice versa!

• Upvote 1