SiouxSports.com Forum

Could NDSU ever compete with UND in Hockey?

Bison101

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

The question was could we be competitive. Hire a great coach and get good players. .  Of course it would take sometime---But---Why couldnt they?

The rest of your post has nothing to do with the question.

How much money is NDSU willing to pay for a good coach? What great coach would you speak of? Hiring a great coach is going to cost mucho dollars and I doubt NDSU is willing to pay out $400k in coaches salaries to start a hockey team. Also, getting good players does not happen over night, especially when you have 6 really good D1 hockey schools all vying for the same prospect.

The reason Arizona State and Penn State are succeeding in their first few years is, they had programs in place already and both places offer a lot more than NDSU.

24 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

How much money is NDSU willing to pay for a good coach? What great coach would you speak of? Hiring a great coach is going to cost mucho dollars and I doubt NDSU is willing to pay out $400k in coaches salaries to start a hockey team. Also, getting good players does not happen over night, especially when you have 6 really good D1 hockey schools all vying for the same prospect.

The reason Arizona State and Penn State are succeeding in their first few years is, they had programs in place already and both places offer a lot more than NDSU.

I don't think it would happen over night but eventually they'd probably be okay.

47 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

ASU definitely has more to offer. 

Penn St not so sure. Roughly the same size as Fargo about the same distance to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia as Fargo is to Minneapolis.  But they do have a good ice cream shop right on campus. 

13 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Penn St not so sure. Roughly the same size as Fargo about the same distance to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia as Fargo is to Minneapolis.  But they do have a good ice cream shop right on campus. 

Penn State is a B1G school. Very well known. Definitely a lot to offer.

36 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

How does Penn St have nothing to offer? Forget the size of the town, they are a Big 10 school, the school itself has a lot more name recognition than NDSU. Who the ^%& cares about ice cream!!!!!!!!! 

5 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I don't think it would happen over night but eventually they'd probably be okay.

How long though; 5, 10, 15 yrs? Is NDSU prepared financially to put forth that much  money towards a "great" coach? How long do you think that coach sticks around? Look at Mankato State when they transitioned from D2 hockey. Troy Jutting wasn't a terrible coach by any means but they didnt become real successful until Hastings took over and even then they are not that great yet.

We are all thinking hypothetically here. Reality is, NDSU does not want D1 hockey or they would've done it by now. They know that having D1 hockey as a sport is A.) expensive and B.) they would be fighting an uphill battle for some time before they turn a profit on it. I believe any "extra" money they have will be going into the football program (i.e. developing a bigger stadium).

24 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

How does Penn St have nothing to offer? Forget the size of the town, they are a Big 10 school, the school itself has a lot more name recognition than NDSU. Who the ^%& cares about ice cream!!!!!!!!! 

And they have probably a top 5 facility.

4 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I understand all of that---but---Thats all logistics and has nothing to do with the question.

1 minute ago, bison73 said:

I understand all of that---but---Thats all logistics and has nothing to do with the question.

Not really.  He is implying that NDSU wouldn't invest in the resources need to be successful/compete with UND.

The biggest problem is everybody has a different opinion of what it means to "compete".

34 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Not really.  He is implying that NDSU wouldn't invest in the resources need to be successful/compete with UND.

The biggest problem is everybody has a different opinion of what it means to "compete".

IF we decided to go with hockey I couldnt see NDSU going in to it with a half ass approach.

8 minutes ago, bison73 said:

IF we decided to go with hockey I couldnt see NDSU going in to it with a half ass approach.

True, and I suppose that is why nobody thinks it will happen.  I feel like NDSU would be similar to Mankato State if they were in the WCHA.  If NDSU got into the NCHC, I could see them as a Miami type program.

So this is fun.... talking about a program that isn't even really being discussed on a PURELY opinion based topic. And whataya know, NDSU fans say they can compete and many UND fans say they couldn't or it would take a long time for them to.

If there were an article about NDSU thinking about adding hockey or anything of the like, this conversation makes sense. Other than that, this is completely worthless to go round and round.

We have a huge series starting tomorrow, guys! C'mon! To the smart threads! :)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So this is fun.... talking about a program that isn't even really being discussed on a PURELY opinion based topic. And whataya know, NDSU fans say they can compete and many UND fans say they couldn't or it would take a long time for them to.

If there were an article about NDSU thinking about adding hockey or anything of the like, this conversation makes sense. Other than that, this is completely worthless to go round and round.

We have a huge series starting tomorrow, guys! C'mon! To the smart threads! :)

So... you DO think NDSU could compete?

• Upvote 1

I can't tell what's more amusing:
People talking about something that at the current time, has absolutely zero chance of happening
OR
People actually getting worked or caring that it is being discussed

I'm getting a laugh out of it so, please, carry on with the discussion.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

it has everything to do with the question. do you just think that a coach and players are going to show up and be competitive? I mean, anyone can put together a hockey team and eventually become competitive but eventually could mean 10 yrs, 20 yrs or hell 50 yrs. Comparing NDSU and D1 hockey is like comparing Mayville State and D1 football  and saying "we eventually will be competitive" but at least we are D1 now.

if you cant think about the logistics, than you probably don't understand hockey that much.