SiouxSports.com Forum

Could NDSU ever compete with UND in Hockey?

Bison101

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I can't tell what's more amusing:
People talking about something that at the current time, has absolutely zero chance of happening
OR
People actually getting worked or caring that it is being discussed

I'm getting a laugh out of it so, please, carry on with the discussion.

But could they compete??

8 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

it has everything to do with the question. do you just think that a coach and players are going to show up and be competitive? I mean, anyone can put together a hockey team and eventually become competitive but eventually could mean 10 yrs, 20 yrs or hell 50 yrs. Comparing NDSU and D1 hockey is like comparing Mayville State and D1 football  and saying "we eventually will be competitive" but at least we are D1 now.

if you cant think about the logistics, than you probably don't understand hockey that much. 

I think you might be exaggerating a little bit, I think we all acknowledge that hypothetically NDSU would require a gift on the level of what was received by Penn State or ASU received. However I think you may be underestimating how quickly they could become competitive. All it would take is the right coaching staff and a willingness to recruit the right players. Look at what Mike Hastings has been able to do for the program at Mankato in just a few years, he managed to take program that was decent but under exposed due to playing in the hands down toughest conference in college hockey,  and turned it into a competitive program. Yes part of there higher ranking is in part due to being in a bit more watered down conference, but keep in mind they have been getting wins against NCHC teams (not this year, wow talk about a flat start), he has done it by recruiting the right players who will stay 3 to 4 years, are team players and have enough skill to be competitive. If you get the right coaching staff with a solid plan NDSU (or UNLV since they are more likely to add hockey in the near future) could have a competitive a decent team quickly and a competitive program in a few years.

4 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

How does Penn St have nothing to offer? Forget the size of the town, they are a Big 10 school, the school itself has a lot more name recognition than NDSU. Who the ^%& cares about ice cream!!!!!!!!! 

Is it Schwan's ice cream?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I think you might be exaggerating a little bit, I think we all acknowledge that hypothetically NDSU would require a gift on the level of what was received by Penn State or ASU received. However I think you may be underestimating how quickly they could become competitive. All it would take is the right coaching staff and a willingness to recruit the right players. Look at what Mike Hastings has been able to do for the program at Mankato in just a few years, he managed to take program that was decent but under exposed due to playing in the hands down toughest conference in college hockey,  and turned it into a competitive program. Yes part of there higher ranking is in part due to being in a bit more watered down conference, but keep in mind they have been getting wins against NCHC teams (not this year, wow talk about a flat start), he has done it by recruiting the right players who will stay 3 to 4 years, are team players and have enough skill to be competitive. If you get the right coaching staff with a solid plan NDSU (or UNLV since they are more likely to add hockey in the near future) could have a competitive a decent team quickly and a competitive program in a few years.

I know all of this is hypothetical but you are using examples that do not compare to what you are explaining. Mankato already has a strong foundation in D1 hockey and comparing it to a D1 start-up program that has no real success at the ACHA level (NDSU), just does not make any sense. You would have to compare NDSU to a program that is similar and over the past few years there hasn't been anyone that has been able to compete with the top tier programs.

Robert Morris, Alabama Huntsville, UConn, Sacred Heart, Bentley University have been around since the mid to late 90's and have had little to no real success of keeping a year in and year out competitive team on the ice. To sit there and say NDSU would have a competitive program in a "few years" (which you haven't given a serious number) is total blasphemy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I think you might be exaggerating a little bit, I think we all acknowledge that hypothetically NDSU would require a gift on the level of what was received by Penn State or ASU received.

With a big donation from FFA and some used tractor auctions, they would be up and running in no time.  And that would be great.  I can just see the folks at UND's School of Engineering figuring out ways to get a dead Buff up over the glass. 

2 minutes ago, burd said:

With a big donation from FFA and some used tractor auctions, they would be up and running in no time.  And that would be great.  I can just see the folks at UND's School of Engineering figuring out ways to get a dead Buff up over the glass. 

Sneaking a dead buffalo into the Ralph would be tough.  Perhaps Kauk could do it under his coat.

• Upvote 2