SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Goliath is the NCAA and David is UND.

NOTE TO SENATOR HOEVEN AND REPRESENTATIVE BERG: It would be very nice if you would chime in and support this process. You're elected now so no need to worry about "backlash" from the .0002% of the ND political correct crowd for at least another 6 or 2 years. Just a public statement or two is all, if you please. No need to take too much time away from triage vis-a-vis the victimized and oppressed health insurance companies.

NOTE TO SENATOR HOEVEN AND REPRESENTATIVE BERG: It would be very nice if you would chime in and support this process. You're elected now so no need to worry about "backlash" from the .0002% of the ND political correct crowd for at least another 6 or 2 years. Just a public statement or two is all, if you please. No need to take too much time away from triage vis-a-vis the victimized and oppressed health insurance companies.

Maybe we should call them all of us and see what they have to say. I believe that it's time for them to stand up and tell the NCAA to back off.

Miami (Ohio) scrapping Indian-head logo

OXFORD, Ohio -- Miami University in Ohio says it will no longer allow its Indian-head logo to be used on merchandise sold on or off campus.

University officials said Tuesday the school has told merchandising companies the logo will no longer be available after current merchandise is sold.

I found it odd that when they opened their new arena a few years ago that they had their old Redskins logo displayed in areas of the rink. I figured that the school simply allowed a few of them for historical reasons. But from this article, it sounds as if the school was still allowing the logo to be used in some merchandising also.

We may on occasion be beaten, but we will never be broken. We are North Dakota.

Although I appreciate the sentiment, the legislature has waited too long. A couple of years ago would have been nice, but even then, with constitutional issues and if it had no impact on the actions (or inactions) of Standing Rock, it still would have gone for naught. The deck was stacked against us as soon as the NCAA became unjustly and officiously determined to meddle in that which was not their concern. Goliath slew David

• 8 months later...

A letter to the editor in Tuesday's Bismarck Tribune about the scope of media coverage

Also recently, members of the Cannonball district passed a resolution supporting the use of the name and logo by UND. Nothing was uttered by the Tribune.

Just last night (Sept. 21), that same district attempted to introduce a motion before the tribal council (as is its right) on the Fighting Sioux name and logo, but Jesse Taken Alive intervened before a second could be heard.

This is another example of the misuse of power by those council members in this matter, and more proof that they are trampling on the rights of their people. I doubt this will be dug into, but I hope I am wrong.

The letter was about the coverage of the student lawsuit but lack of coverage of the motion to dismiss by AG Stenehjem.

• 4 weeks later...

One more look for NCAA: Stenehjem seeks athletic body’s review of changes required at Ralph if nickname goes

Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem is trying to arrange a visit to Grand Forks within the next two weeks by Bernard Franklin, the NCAA’s executive vice president, to review use of UND’s Fighting Sioux name and logo at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

“We can’t make them (REA) do anything,” he said, because the arena is not owned by UND. “But if we get to a point where there’s post-season play and the ‘Ralph’ is interested in hosting, we would have to comply with terms of the settlement.

“Perhaps some softening is possible,” he said. “Some of those items may not have to be removed immediately, or ever.”

It will be a shame to remove anything from that arena...but if it means a window of an office or a welcome mat fine. Even the logo on the ice can go. I just hope its very minor stuff. I know the floring is staying and the statues out front stays but most of the logos should be retained for historical purposes.

Who are the Winnipeg Jets AHL teams ?

You nickname-at-all-costs people are absolutely amazing. You care more about the nickname and logo and REA's cherished status as a "private entity" than the University of North Dakota, the UND Athletic Department and the success of our teams. Someone on another thread questioned my loyalty because I think keeping the name and logo at all costs is a bad idea. I think it's a better idea to question the loyalty of REA, Inc. and the nickname-at-all-costs crowd. It's obvious your first priority isn't the health and success of the University of North Dakota.

If REA's management really was stupid enough to kick UND out and bring in some Major Junior team or AHL team, I would not spend one dime of my money to set foot in that place ever again. I think Grand Forks would reject whatever carpetbagger scab team that REA, Inc. would put in there and this "private entity" would find out that being private is a double-edged sword. As for the BESC, I suppose the high schools or the YMCA league could use it. But again, that wouldn't pay the bills, either. And it would serve them right.

If this indeed happened, I would love it if UND would renovate and refurbish the Old REA and re-establish the atmosphere we had in that place for so long. And then we could do the same for Hyslop Sports Center. I think we could find some room in that $300 million endowment the Alumni Association is collecting to make it happen. And then REA, Inc. could go pound sand you-know-where. Like I said above, it would serve them right.

End Rant.

• Upvote 3

You nickname-at-all-costs people are absolutely amazing. You care more about the nickname and logo and REA's cherished status as a "private entity" than the University of North Dakota, the UND Athletic Department and the success of our teams. Someone on another thread questioned my loyalty because I think keeping the name and logo at all costs is a bad idea. I think it's a better idea to question the loyalty of REA, Inc. and the nickname-at-all-costs crowd. It's obvious your first priority isn't the health and success of the University of North Dakota.

If REA's management really was stupid enough to kick UND out and bring in some Major Junior team or AHL team, I would not spend one dime of my money to set foot in that place ever again. I think Grand Forks would reject whatever carpetbagger scab team that REA, Inc. would put in there and this "private entity" would find out that being private is a double-edged sword. As for the BESC, I suppose the high schools or the YMCA league could use it. But again, that wouldn't pay the bills, either. And it would serve them right.

If this indeed happened, I would love it if UND would renovate and refurbish the Old REA and re-establish the atmosphere we had in that place for so long. And then we could do the same for Hyslop Sports Center. I think we could find some room in that $300 million endowment the Alumni Association is collecting to make it happen. And then REA, Inc. could go pound sand you-know-where. Like I said above, it would serve them right.

End Rant.

I love the name and love the logo..but I do agree 100% with your post. Its sad the REA would have to remove logos to be PC with the NCAA but thats life. UND will live on with or without the nickname. If UND can't use the REA they could use Purper or Scheels Arena in Fargo and as for basketball they could use the Alerus. Hopefully the NCAA will change their minds when they tour the REA but I am not holding my breath. Again what good is a name without a sports team to use it.

• Upvote 1