SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

For the record, I do believe that there could come a point in time where the NCAA is legally forced to back off on the sanctions. I do not know exactly how that will happen, but I believe there is a good chance the Spirit Lake lawsuit will be a contributing factor.

Well then, it seems like that's the big difference between you and most of the people you're disagreeing with. It's not that they're turncoats, not real UND fans, NCAA plants, or are even less tolerant of potential sanctions than you; they simply believe that the sanctions will come through as threatened and you don't.

Being optimistic about the Spirit Lake action and wanting to see it completed is certainly a reasonable position. My only concern is that I fear a lot of people signing the petition might not be as well informed as you, and instead incorrectly think that the petition itself is somehow going to force the NCAA not to put us under sanctions. I'd hate to see the people of N.D. think they're making a certain choice, then be surprised to find that they just voted to put UND under sanctions.

For the record, I do believe that there could come a point in time where the NCAA is legally forced to back off on the sanctions. I do not know exactly how that will happen, but I believe there is a good chance the Spirit Lake lawsuit will be a contributing factor.

And where did you go to law school? I am just wondering how you gleaned this? I would like to know how you came to this conclusion. I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express either. The NCAA would fight this tooth and nail and probably not back down without a long and expensive legal battler throwing out lawyers that wear 1000.00 suits with crack legal research teams to counter anything that those who are suing the NCAA.

Come on!!!! ... throwing out lawyers that wear 1000.00 suits with crack legal research teams...

Am I missing something here? Does not UND have alumni that are lawyers wearing 1000.00 suits with thier own crack legal research teams. Where are they in this fight?

Am I missing something here? Does not UND have alumni that are lawyers wearing 1000.00 suits with thier own crack legal research teams. Where are they in this fight?
I don't think so... I am saying that the NCAA is going to be throwing the expensive lawyers out there. I am sure that there are a few UND lawyers that wear expensive suits and are highly successful. I don't know many lawyers from UND or what they make or wear... Meaning money is no problem and the NCAA isn't going to back off. Edited by Goon

UND and UND lawyers already sued the NCAA over this issue. The settlement of 2007 includes an agreement that neither side can sue about this issue again.
  • Upvote 1

I'm just trying to be the eternal optimist, nothing more and nothing less. I'm sure there was a point in time that people wondered how slavery would ever be abolished, but eventually it happened. While it is by no means an exact comparison, what the NCAA is trying to pull here can be compared to slavery in an abstract way. I just have to have faith that somehow there will come a point in time that this horrible wrong can be made right.

Rational business decisions can't be made based on an optimistic outlook. UND has to make a rational business decision. They have to do what is best for the future of the school. That decision has to be to change the nickname. It would be irresponsible to keep the name at this time.

And where did you go to law school? I am just wondering how you gleaned this? I would like to know how you came to this conclusion. I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express either. The NCAA would fight this tooth and nail and probably not back down without a long and expensive legal battler throwing out lawyers that wear 1000.00 suits with crack legal research teams to counter anything that those who are suing the NCAA.

He didn't go to UND so how the hell could have he gone to law school...... ;)

I'm just trying to be the eternal optimist, nothing more and nothing less. I'm sure there was a point in time that people wondered how slavery would ever be abolished, but eventually it happened. While it is by no means an exact comparison, what the NCAA is trying to pull here can be compared to slavery in an abstract way. I just have to have faith that somehow there will come a point in time that this horrible wrong can be made right.

Comparing a dispute over a university's moniker with slavery? Do you ever put down that bong?

However, I do give you credit for not comparing it to the Holocaust ... yet.

• Upvote 1

OMG!!! (face planted firmly into palm)

Sigh.... go back and read my post AGAIN!!! Read it to yourself S-L-O-W-L-Y and focus on the part where I said "While it is by no means an exact comparison, what the NCAA is trying to pull here can be compared to slavery in an abstract way."

Good grief, how dense are you to come back with that idiotic reply? Did you flunk out of 8th grade or is your reading comprehension just that weak?

No, the comparison is that weak. There is no way to compare changing a nickname to slavery in any way.
  • Upvote 2

Unless the lawsuit is successful it's meaningless. The case won't even be started until next year and could take years. The NCAA isn't going to back down just because of the lawsuit. A lot of damage could be done to UND before it's settled.

Just insert BSC for ACC and SEC, and that is exactly what would happen with UND if they kept the name.

Just insert BSC for ACC and SEC, and that is exactly what would happen with UND if they kept the name.

Correct, IIRC the BigSky ByLaws give them the right to substitute any NCAA rule(s) for their own rule(s) when the NCAA rule is determined to be more restrictive. The ability to host playoffs fits under this scenario.

But again I don't think you got the context of my comparison. Not saying this is actually similar to slavery, but that for the people who say there's no way of stopping the NCAA from imposing sanctions I was pointing out that there was a time when it was thought that there was no way of stopping slavery.

Sorry, I don't see any context where use of a nickname can be compared in any way with slavery. It's a bridge too far.

But again I don't think you got the context of my comparison. Not saying this is actually similar to slavery, but that for the people who say there's no way of stopping the NCAA from imposing sanctions I was pointing out that there was a time when it was thought that there was no way of stopping slavery.

Do you ever get dizzy from all of your spin?

So you're denying the fact that there once was a time when people didn't think there was a way to put an end to slavery? :ohmy:

Where did I say anything like that? Slavery hasn't been put to an end. It is illegal in this country, but it still exists in this country. Other people in this country would gladly make it legal. And it exists in much larger numbers in other places around the world. Using any talk of slavery in a comparison to a sports nickname is just wrong.

Slavery still exists in this country.

Sex trade slavery?

Who are these "other people in this country that would gladly make it legal"? The same ones that would make killing black people legal? I am not sure your point but you are making odd statements!

Where did this topic go wrong?