SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Sex trade slavery?

Who are these "other people in this country that would gladly make it legal"? The same ones that would make killing black people legal? I am not sure your point but you are making odd statements!

Where did this topic go wrong?

The sex trade is only a portion of the slavery that currently exists in this country. Best estimates are that approximately 17,500 people are trafficked into the United States each year, with approximately 40-50,000 slaves currently in the United States. According to this article from 2007, http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2981327&page=1#.TwvGrtXe6Sp, in 2006 the Justice Department initiated 168 investigations, charged 111 defendants in 32 cases, and obtained 98 convictions in human trafficking cases. All of those numbers pale in comparison to the estimated 27 million slaves around the world. That may be the largest number of slaves in history.

In other words, trivializing the topic of slavery by using it in a comparison to a sports nickname is outrageous.

Once upon a time people didn't think that slavery would ever be made illegal. Right now people don't think the absurd NCAA anti Native American policy will ever be made illegal.Those two facts are both true, so how you can continue to dismiss the comparison really blows my mind.

Well consider your mind blown because the comparison does not work.

Once upon a time people didn't think that slavery would ever be made illegal. Right now people don't think the absurd NCAA anti Native American policy will ever be made illegal.Those two facts are both true, so how you can continue to dismiss the comparison really blows my mind.

SPINSPINSPINSPINSPINSPIN, where will it end?

The NCAA is akin to a fourth prong of government and is completely unaccountable to even state governments. It's loose claim as a "private entity" will be tested with the law suit. Hopefully, a court can bring them back to earth but the NCAA will settle if it sniffs out even the most modest chance of an opposing side prevailing. This is why no settlement should be even acquiesced to let alone proposed. Force a court decision and force the NCAA to live with it. If Hoeven and Conrad had any kind of spines at all, they would have been all over the NCAA if not in 2007 certainly after its complete dissing of the state government this year. What a couple of wet noodles. Wanna bet that they jump on board the bandwagon if the litigation looks like it's going to be successful?

• Upvote 1

The NCAA is akin to a fourth prong of government and is completely unaccountable to even state governments.

Actually, I have never thought of it that way but they are getting involved in states right's business. They Sout Carolina what they can have on their state house. They have also told state schools what they can call their sports teams.

The NCAA is akin to a fourth prong of government and is completely unaccountable to even state governments. It's loose claim as a "private entity" will be tested with the law suit.

Finally someone hears what I've been saying for a year (more?).

At risk of repeating myself, the last "state actor" challenge to the NCAA was 1999. Since then there's a Tennessee case that may provide precedent:

If government agencies are simply members of a private organization then the actions of the organization are not state action, but if the government is “pervasively entwined” with the leadership of the private organization then the acts of the organization are state action (Brentwood Academy v. Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association, 535 U.S. 971 (2002)).

Given that the NCAA is primarily public schools (meaning government officials mandated to follow the First and Fourteenth Amendments) one could ponder if the NCAA and NCAA leadership is "pervasively entwined" with goverment officials and acting as a state actor.

That's one for the Federal courts to untangle.

• Upvote 2

Given that the NCAA is primarily public schools (meaning government officials mandated to follow the First and Fourteenth Amendments) one could ponder if the NCAA and NCAA leadership is "pervasively entwined" with goverment officials and acting as a state actor. That's one for the Federal courts to untangle.

The problem I see with the 'state actor" designation is that it may give the NC$$ immunity from certain types of claims, like anti-trust, and give them a degree of legitimacy afforded to regulatory agencies, e.g., deference of the courts, administrative discretion, etc.

I'd rather the NC$$ be pillioried and exposed in front of a Congressional committee on C-SPAN than giving them any governmental platform to make and enforce rules at their own whim.

I wonder about Attorney Soderstrom's role in this. On one hand he's representing SL's attempt to gain rights to the Sioux moniker, and on the other he's pushing signatures that would take away that right.

Another interesting case of "strange bedfellows" this whole conundrum has created.

I'd rather the NC$$ be pillioried and exposed in front of a Congressional committee on C-SPAN than giving them any governmental platform to make and enforce rules at their own whim.

I wish we would see the day where that happens.

• Upvote 1

This should be filed under a thread called "Media Stories NOT on the Sioux name," but there isn't one, so I highjacked this one. The first link below is about the most important meeting of the year for the NCAA, which is going on this week, when they talk about the most pressing issues facing the organization and its members, and nary a mention about American Indian team nicknames. I realize that the NCAA isn't going to discuss pending litigation out in the open in a setting like this, but the point is, the story linked below goes through a litany of major challenges that the NCAA faced in 2011 and will face down the road, and the Spirit Lake lawsuit doesn't even appear as a blip on the national radar screen. I've also included the full agenda in the second link below. This controversy has been a major flare up, at least regionally, for the past three years, and it still has not resonated with the national public to even merit a brief mention in a nationally respected higher ed trade publication in a story about major concerns for the NCAA. There's still a lot of work to do if the nickname is going to be saved. :sad:

http://www.insidehig...nual-convention

https://www.planning...n/soe/index.cfm

This should be filed under a thread called "Media Stories NOT on the Sioux name," but there isn't one, so I highjacked this one. The first link below is about the most important meeting of the year for the NCAA, which is going on this week, when they talk about the most pressing issues facing the organization and its members, and nary a mention about American Indian team nicknames. I realize that the NCAA isn't going to discuss pending litigation out in the open in a setting like this, but the point is, the story linked below goes through a litany of major challenges that the NCAA faced in 2011 and will face down the road, and the Spirit Lake lawsuit doesn't even appear as a blip on the national radar screen. I've also included the full agenda in the second link below. This controversy has been a major flare up, at least regionally, for the past three years, and it still has not resonated with the national public to even merit a brief mention in a nationally respected higher ed trade publication in a story about major concerns for the NCAA. There's still a lot of work to do if the nickname is going to be saved. :sad:http://www.insidehig...nual-convention https://www.planning...n/soe/index.cfm

Even companies that file publicly with the SEC report material pending litigation that may impact their businesses. I'm especially surprised they didn't report the anti-trust litigation regarding former players' likenesses and the putative class-action involving players' concussions. As for SL, I'm not sure their lawyers would consider it "material" at this stage, regardless of the local histrionics.

However, given the NC$$' own business practices, they won't report litigation like that unless so compelled by their membership or the feds.

• Upvote 1

http://www.uvureview.com/2012/01/16/no-sioux-for-you/

There’s a darker side to this that has been brewing nationwide in recent years. Minorities have put up with a lot of crap for a long time.

No denying it. They wanted their rights, and they’ve made a lot of progress in getting them.

Lately, it’s become something more. Instead of getting on even ground, it’s been more about getting even.

• 2 weeks later...

Say what you may about the NY Times, but this op-ed does a nice of job of showing why the NC$$ doesn't want anybody looking into its business practices ...

People associated with Connecticut basketball, including Calhoun, are said to be furious at the N.C.A.A.’s treatment of Ryan Boatright. But the university is as fearful of the N.C.A.A. as Tanesha. It has yet to say a single word publicly on his behalf.

Most astonishing, an N.C.A.A. spokeswoman told me that the organization does not have the legal authority to compel cooperation from parents. Again, technically true: Its real weapon — the threat of destroying their sons’ careers — is far more potent than any mere subpoena.

“The N.C.A.A. is like the Gestapo,” wrote one parent in an e-mail. “It’s out there, we all fear it, and it is all-powerful and follows its own rules and makes them up as they go along. Who are they protecting? The same thing the Gestapo protected: themselves.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/24/opinion/nocera-living-in-fear-of-the-ncaa.html?ref=sports

Seems Mr. Joe Nocera is on a roll against the NCAA.

All I can say is, "Popcorn, please!" :D

The College Sports Cartel

NCAA's "Justice" System

More NCAA "Justice"

Guilty Until Proved Innocent

Living In Fear of the NCAA

And yet the government does nothing about this corruption? The NCAA is going to do whatever they want and they know they can get away with it, because no one has the balls in congress to step up to the plate and call out their corruption on CSPAN.

And yet the government does nothing about this corruption? The NCAA is going to do whatever they want and they know they can get away with it, because no one has the balls in congress to step up to the plate and call out their corruption on CSPAN.

NoDak's congressional delegation had the perfect opportunity a few years ago, and even this summer. And nothing came of it. As much as I hack on Cluess Al for any number of reasons, I think if just one of the Three Stooges in DC had politicized the same issue and raised their voice against the NC$$ over the past few years UND may have been treated with the same deference as FSU, Utah, CMU, etc.

And since the only thing the NC$$ really fears is the power of the federal government, including the federal courts, I wish SL the best on their case, and think anybody considering signing those petitions should also not vote for any of the incumbents. If certain parties want to turn this issue into a "political crusade", November 2012 is right around the corner.

• Upvote 2

Say what you may about the NY Times, but this op-ed does a nice of job of showing why the NC$$ doesn't want anybody looking into its business practices ...

People associated with Connecticut basketball, including Calhoun, are said to be furious at the N.C.A.A.’s treatment of Ryan Boatright. But the university is as fearful of the N.C.A.A. as Tanesha. It has yet to say a single word publicly on his behalf.

Most astonishing, an N.C.A.A. spokeswoman told me that the organization does not have the legal authority to compel cooperation from parents. Again, technically true: Its real weapon — the threat of destroying their sons’ careers — is far more potent than any mere subpoena.

“The N.C.A.A. is like the Gestapo,” wrote one parent in an e-mail. “It’s out there, we all fear it, and it is all-powerful and follows its own rules and makes them up as they go along. Who are they protecting? The same thing the Gestapo protected: themselves.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/24/opinion/nocera-living-in-fear-of-the-ncaa.html?ref=sports

Interesting. The NCAA's days hopefully are numbered. They profit huge $$$$$$ off of the backs of the athletes and offers little in terms of remuneration. Sure, you can say that athletes get free rides/scholarships, room and board, etc but that pales in comparisonn to the $$$$$$$ the NCAA makes. And, it's the universities giving the athletes those benefits and not the NCAA. Athletes, universities, taxpayers are subsidizing the NCAA, correct? It's beyond time that this ogre get taken down. The weenies in the ND Congressional delegation don't seem to want to do it. Let's hope SL can. If successful, how long does anyone think it will take the Congressional weenies to jump on the SL bangwagon? So, there are at least a few Congresspersons saying that the NCAA is like the mafia. There are parents and university officials and coaches comparing it to the Gestapo. There are human rights groups clamoring that athletes are being discriminated against and exploited and demanding that they be paid. There are other groups fighting the NCAA on the nickname issue. There are scandals after scandals evincing a complete lack of NCAA control or supervision. One word: inertia. Keep it moving against the NC00.

Ya ever wonder what Colten "we here at the NCAA don't like your HS transcript" St. Clair thinks when he reads stories like this?