SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/221627/

The hockey team “will continue to wear Fighting Sioux jerseys until February,” he said, but he declined to describe the replacement jerseys in detail.

“They will certainly have ‘North Dakota’ on them,” he said, and the interlocking ND has been on the jerseys for some time.

“We’ll be at the tail end of our season then, and we’ll make the switch when we’ve got the new ones. And we have to have them for NCAA post-season play.”

I hope its not like the old 1993-95 jerseys

white.jpg

green.jpg

This was from WDAZ News on Facebook

UND President Robert Kelley announced today at his state of the university speech that the school will be using the 'flame' logo until 2015. #sioux #UND

Why do I see this being a permanent thing..now we just need a name to go with it.

what a arrogant Ass - Just has to rub it in

Who? Dr. Kelley?

He's. Doing. His. Job. (I won't say well because he surely hasn't been leading from the front.)

What are his options? Things UND already has trademarked.

What are those? The interlocked ND (with words "North Dakota" nearby) or the UND flame logo.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/11485/

Supporters of the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname are ready to start two petition campaigns to keep it.

Secretary of State Al Jaeger approved the petitions late Monday. Jaeger's approval means backers of the nickname may begin getting signatures.

Let the killing of the athletic department begin.

So, the NCAA is going to hold UND athletics hostage and kill UND athletics. That could fit nicely into the anti-trust part of the lawsuit. I am sure there is an historic pattern of practice involving other institutions that could augment the argument. The NCAA is going to want that, I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

A former sports editor from St Paul - Not worth the print space - just the Herald keeping it all going

It does need to be solved & SL has stepped up

Or just take the easy road & let UND Admin. have it's way

Were all tired of it but it's not 100 % over

Who will ask the question if Spirit Lake Sioux would work ?

I guess I read the column like this. Sacramento St. is concerned with the travel costs to ND within conference play. I'm willing wager that they along with a number of other far west schools in the Big Sky would be more than thrilled to show us the door under the disguise of the nickname situation, to get the end result of getting out of travel to ND. Even though it proves that it's not really about the nickname...its the travel--by having the nickname it gives them the ammunition and an actionable item to vote on.

• Upvote 2

I guess I read the column like this. Sacramento St. is concerned with the travel costs to ND within conference play. I'm willing wager that they along with a number of other far west schools in the Big Sky would be more than thrilled to show us the door under the disguise of the nickname situation, to get the end result of getting out of travel to ND. Even though it proves that it's not really about the nickname...its the travel--by having the nickname it gives them the ammunition and an actionable item to vote on.

If travel was the issue why did they vote UND in? The nickname is retired. What is there to give them ammo about?

• Upvote 1