SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Iowa State 8/31/24

SiouxFan100

Well finally cooled down from the sun yesterday and took a scroll through this thread on the way home from Ames.

Overall, we can’t be that mad with that game, right? I get no moral victories and we have to start thinking we are going to win these things but all things considered I’m feeling okay with how this season will go. Lots of positives but negatives to go along with it. 

The o-line is one of the huge positives. We had no idea what to expect and I’d say they showed a lot of potential especially with the push on the run game. Loved the center puking on the ball :lol:.

Simon. He was too conservative. Maybe he was told to be since the QB room is thin now or maybe the reads just weren’t there. I’m not against the horizontal passing game but we have to add some verticality. Can Deng Deng add that at some point this year? 

Defense. Man I thought we were going to get 50 burgered after that first drive. We picked it up though. Run defense was really good. Pass defense, meh not so much. I really wonder how different the game would have been if Erkman pulls down that interception on the first play. What ifs. 

Montana nearly lost to Missouri State last night at home. I think we can do it next week. Hoping to see the playbook opened up a bit more. Well lubricated crowd will only help. 

• Upvote 4

I was at the game yesterday.  Great atmosphere and the fans were good other than a few knuckleheads on the way into the game.  

My thoughts - 

• OL was pretty good in run game for 4 new starters against a big FBS team.  Not as good pass protection.
  • Liked our running backs.  Seidl has some good pop.
  • Run D was better than I've seen for a while.  None of the big gashing runs we have been known to give up
  • Romfo was decent for first game.  Needs to be better and I think he will be.  I didn't have much time to throw downfield and when he did we didn't have any separation. 
  • Pass D not too good.  No pressure and some very good WR on the other side
  • I was hating on the fg attempt in second half at first but a fg there gets us within 2 scores so it can be justified.
  • Not sure why we didn't attempt a hail mary on last play of first half.  Worried about a run back or strip sack and def TD maybe?  Low odds of that happening so you need to take your shot there. 
  • Upvote 1

it's so lackluster to watch a team that has some talent that has no chance to win big games because their QB cannot throw the ball vertically...and what is frustrating as a fan is the coaching staff knows it and manages the game accordingly... you can't win meaningful games if the coaching staff cannot trust the QB to make plays with his arm. Romfo manages the game well and runs well but it appears he can’t make big time plays/throws with his arm at this level. He’s totally a one dimensional QB that can only make plays with his legs. Other teams will realize this fast and stack the box and challenge him to throw deep; but our philosophy will not change and it will be game after game of square peg/round hole. That said, why even name Romfo the full time starter before game 1? Why not split time between Romfo and Feeney before conference play and let them battle it out in a real game and see what they both have to offer? Practice and games under the bright lights are two different animals…staff should have seen what each do in a game and maybe have a dual QB combo that utilizes both of their strengths to bolster the offense. 

It’s Sunday morning and only 2 hours left to talk about yesterday. Huge stadium and football atmosphere. 50,000 or so fans it sounded like. They are very and rightfully proud of the facility and two different Iowa State supporters wanted is to know the importance of the facility namesake who died in a tragic game incident. FB8E79DA-5C26-48C4-9D33-681290DB6D9E.thumb.jpeg.408527fc76d654436d0de745c8697079.jpeg

2 minutes ago, homer said:

I assume that is Mohr?   It didn’t look good on TV when he went down?  Grabbed knee/high ankle right away. 

I swear I heard the announcer say his name later in the game making a tackle but could have been a mistake. Hope he recovers quickly!

None of my comments are personal to the the great young men on the field and our support for the team. Lots of great write up’s and accurate assessments. 

With Thunderstuck cranked as Mr. two year extension leader led the team out I was curious about what the difference of any other game would be. I expected the same and was not disappointed in the mediocrity. That’s not a compliment. 

After 9 months to work on defense the first play should have been picked off. Everyone watching though so but once again let’s be in position, do the job but not make a play. Second play was a work of art. Game over. 

• Upvote 2

QB is a great young man trying very hard. We had momentum and moved the ball. Everytime Ziebarth runs you swear he’s gonna have a 180 yards rushing. The backs all ran well and broke one to two tackles each run. Keep in mind Hunt is hiding in there two. The back field is stacked and the 3 that ran are good. The O line was decent  at times but the backs really made the plays. I state was toying with us as they stuffed the line when needed. Hence the 3 points. The long drives and 3rd down conversions by us were incredible but again. 3 points. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Letting the clock run out with a time out left and a punt on the 38 yard line are classic Bubba.  I'm too lazy to look up the details but imagine the past 11 years with Bubba as head coach, the same rosters, same overall schemes but with someone competent managing the games.  We would surely be a much better program.  Bubba's game management is consistently bad - both in decision making and clock management and it is a real drag on the program.  What's worse is that no way is he going to get better - absolutely no learning curve for him.

Completely agree. Punting from the 38, going to half with timeouts, kicking fields goals in the 4th quarter when you need multiple scores. Hell even the field goal in the 2nd quarter after a 20+ plus play drive is questionable. The thing is that these actions all send messages to your team indirectly; it states were just here for a moral victory and to play it close, but we don’t expect to win. It is why Bubba’s teams consistently are capped at mediocrity. I’m hopeful for the season to go okay, but it will never be more than 7-5 and first round playoff exit, despite what Coach Fruechte and Olson bring to this program, because of Bubba. He’s not a good head coach at this level, period. As stated before, until everyone agrees Bubba is the problem, or until he retires, we can’t move UND football forward.  

• Upvote 3

Belquist and Dennis and Co. are real targets. Throw to the backs once in a while and it could be a great offense. Last year when Feeney threw it always looked easy for him. Throwing did not look natural and easy yesterday. 

I don’t know what pass coverage entails but it didn’t exist. Defense of penetration and pressure isn’t really there as usual. We stuffed the line at times, the linebackers and corners did well on the run and looked much improved. Did I mention pass coverage and getting to the QB? 

We needed the field goal. There is no way we were scoring. I really thought we could run north and south. There is 6 offensive weapons and I bet more hungry ones behind them. The goal is to get touchdowns and the time of possession was cool and all but just a moral victory. The second half our O line started to give up and get lazy.  Grand Forks is just as hot and humid as anywhere in the country. Olson really seemed to have them working together and coaching hard in the beginning but if you are sucking air and letting your guy or two go by it’s next man up. It was great to see the rotation at center. Keep them fresh and motivated. Glad there are developing depth on the O line as the old line coach seemed mostly interested in just developing the next Walzeko and bragging about it. 

The talent and strength and speed is there just have to teach, coach and motivate. 

The end of the game we were bound and determined to lose the ball or get a safety in our own end zone. QB snuck a run out to save it.

New coaches have potential but the complacency is evident in areas. 

Lots of bright spots. Lots of areas to work on. It was a 3 score game which really isn’t close but it felt ok. See you next week. 

25 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I swear I heard the announcer say his name later in the game making a tackle but could have been a mistake. Hope he recovers quickly!

Mohr was injured very early and did not return in uniform. Wish the young man the best. Very unfortunate in his first start. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MinnDak said:

Mohr was injured very early and did not return in uniform. Wish the young man the best. Very unfortunate in his first start. 

Yeah I knew he was down early and didn’t look good and see Miller mentioned he didn’t return either. Just stating the announcer at the stadium gave him a tackle later on haha. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ksixpack said:

it's so lackluster to watch a team that has some talent that has no chance to win big games because their QB cannot throw the ball vertically...and what is frustrating as a fan is the coaching staff knows it and manages the game accordingly... you can't win meaningful games if the coaching staff cannot trust the QB to make plays with his arm. Romfo manages the game well and runs well but it appears he can’t make big time plays/throws with his arm at this level. He’s totally a one dimensional QB that can only make plays with his legs. Other teams will realize this fast and stack the box and challenge him to throw deep; but our philosophy will not change and it will be game after game of square peg/round hole. That said, why even name Romfo the full time starter before game 1? Why not split time between Romfo and Feeney before conference play and let them battle it out in a real game and see what they both have to offer? Practice and games under the bright lights are two different animals…staff should have seen what each do in a game and maybe have a dual QB combo that utilizes both of their strengths to bolster the offense. 

Well....to be fair these are Freunds QB's so be mad at him.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Well....to be fair these are Freunds QB's so be mad at him.  

Big mistake in how they handled Feeney - especially giving him practically no snaps last year then telling him it will be more of the same this year.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Or he isn’t very good

But would have been nice to seen him given a shot in a real situation.  I have a hard time believing he isn't a better passer than Romfo, and pretty sure Feeney is faster than Tommy so still would of had some running ability I'd think.