SiouxSports.com Forum

Midco sports

gfhockey

On 4/28/2024 at 12:09 AM, gfNDfan said:

Not rocket science...Sioux Falls is a giant (largely) untapped media market.   Imagine if Fargo didn't have NDSU and Bismarck and GF had the "big" colleges in the state.   How much could they pull out of Fargo for ad $$?   Answer: NOT ENOUGH!

UND Hockey is Midco's cash cow for ad revenue.  Highest rates and highest demand.  FB and other sports at all schools don't  even come close.  Midco realizes the future of actually making money off local sports depends on cultivating Augie into a D1 Hockey school to sell the SF Market and that means bringing the entire CCHA league into the mix just to secure Augie as the anchor.  

FloSports was an epic disaster.   I subscribed for a UND game at Bemidji and I would have rather had my grandma streaming the game on her phone from the cheap seats.  It was hideous.  Midco just wants to be able to OFFER the games to Sioux Falls businesses.  By firing all their talent it means they don't care about the end product.   It only means they will be able to sell it on a short term basis.   If it's more than 2 cameras and a hack announcer it will be better that what they had.  The cautionary note is UND's production level will suffer on many levels from the cuts as they bring up 1 program from nothing and bring down their premiere program to save them some money.  

I don't expect to see alot of changes on some of these teams broadcast, unless it becomes mandated. They will be the streaming provider allowing the broadcast to go through their servers and handle the billing but not the direct production most likely. Just like ESPN+ you will have some schools that put out a decent product, and then you will have a 1-2 camera production that may be what is used in-house for replay recording with radio broadcasters simulcasted. I don't doubt that they want to bring the NCHC in as well and have a NCHC/CCHA package with maybe summit league to offer a potential big package for the region. As stated by you and others they buy rights to all the programs with the focus being a select few to hopefully have enough subscribers to offset the others. 

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, Kab said:

Did any of the sports casters that were let go by Midco  get new jobs yet?

I haven’t heard of any 

Been think the same.  Is midco keeping them as independent contractors?

On 7/6/2024 at 8:50 PM, Kab said:

Did any of the sports casters that were let go by Midco  get new jobs yet?

I haven’t heard of any 

Jody went to work for Game One according to a recent tweet by him.  Game One is pretty well involved with HS clothing apparel...with some success and regular working hours, I'm guessing he will be done in the media.  

Dropped Midco cable for DirectTV Stream.  The final straw was the Bally Sports North situation going on now and that caused me to look around.  Can stream DirectTV for cheaper and get more channels (including BSN) and, frankly, a better interface with more features than traditional cable, plus avoid all those cable boxes and the ridiculous rental fees they tack onto each one of them.  I swear, the way cable companies operate they are begging for people to cut the cord.   Only loss has been Midco Sports which I can make for by getting the app when the time comes.  From what I understand, the MVFC and Summit basketball will still be on ESPN+, and I would need Midco Sports Plus for UND Hockey/CCHA.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Dropped Midco cable for DirectTV Stream.  The final straw was the Bally Sports North situation going on now and that caused me to look around.  Can stream DirectTV for cheaper and get more channels (including BSN) and, frankly, a better interface with more features than traditional cable, plus avoid all those cable boxes and the ridiculous rental fees they tack onto each one of them.  I swear, the way cable companies operate they are begging for people to cut the cord.   Only loss has been Midco Sports which I can make for by getting the app when the time comes.  From what I understand, the MVFC and Summit basketball will still be on ESPN+, and I would need Midco Sports Plus for UND Hockey/CCHA.

You need Midco Sports Plus for Summit basketball and CCHA hockey, and you need NCHC.TV for UND Hockey.  Summit Basketball isn't on ESPN+ and UND Hockey isn't on Midco Sports Plus.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

You need Midco Sports Plus for Summit basketball and CCHA hockey, and you need NCHC.TV for UND Hockey.  Summit Basketball isn't on ESPN+ and UND Hockey isn't on Midco Sports Plus.

Midco Sports on cable carries UND hockey but the Midco Sports Plus app does not carry UND hockey?  That just makes no sense.  

I can't stand all of this segmentation.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Midco Sports on cable carries UND hockey but the Midco Sports Plus app does not carry UND hockey?  That just makes no sense.  

Yep, so tiring. NCHC carries hockey.  I thought the same thing

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I believe some of it is due to NCHC and contractual agreements about what can be streamed on which platforms. It might also be about preventing password sharing on other devices to stream the game. I face a similar issue with the MidcoTV app. I can watch live TV on any device with the MidcoTV app installed when I'm on my home network (Midco), but once I leave my home network, I can no longer watch live TV. This makes the app less useful, as I can just watch TV at home directly. I understand that not everyone has multiple TVs, but it is frustrating that I can't watch my recordings or live TV once I leave my home network.

45 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

which is the reason why fenton needs to bring it all under one name/brand......

he's working on it

48 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

It's because the NCHC has exclusive rights to streaming.  The Summit has exclusive streaming rights for basketball now (sold to Midco), and that's why Summit basketball is no longer on ESPN+.  I think, like some others, that Midco bought the CCHA rights partially to help attract the NCHC at some point. 

32 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I completely disagree - Midco has done a great job .  They have provided great exposure for UND sports.  I hope that they are able to make the streaming platform work and that they are able to get Summit League/MVFC and NCHC all under one umbrella.  People complain about UND sports being segmented to watch.  I would say that is more of a function of UND having its sports all over the place in multiple conferences.  UND needs to keep working to get all of its sports in a single sports conference.  The Summit League would be better served if they sponsored Football, Basketball and Hockey.

Midco isn't responsible for the Bally Sports mess. And they have done a great job with UND athletics.

That said, I am seriously considering dumping their cable service, as I don't watch even a quarter of the channels on it. I will always have their internet and phone service.

26 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Midco isn't responsible for the Bally Sports mess. And they have done a great job with UND athletics.

That said, I am seriously considering dumping their cable service, as I don't watch even a quarter of the channels on it. I will always have their internet and phone service.

I really really really wish Fubo or one of the streaming tv companies added Midco Sports.  Whenever I cancel a streaming service I say it's because they don't have that channel.  Not that it makes a difference, but it can't hurt.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Midco isn't responsible for the Bally Sports mess.

Overall I've been satisfied during the (many) years as a Midco cable subscriber, but how come other companies are able to get contracts with Bally but they are not?  I find myself asking my phone how the Twins are doing more than ever before.

25 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Overall I've been satisfied during the (many) years as a Midco cable subscriber, but how come other companies are able to get contracts with Bally but they are not?  I find myself asking my phone how the Twins are doing more than ever before.

I think this may have something to do with their connection to Comcast, which owns 49% of the company.  Comcast hasn't come to an agreement with Bally either.

I think it says a lot that Bally has had so much trouble with renewing carriage agreements with pretty much everyone they've worked with.  Seems pretty apparent that they have been trying to price gouge everyone.

to all the twins fans out there...........stop chasing them around the webisphere.........after a while they will figure it out and make it more accessible and more affordable to stream their garbage.

• Upvote 1

Being a remote UND fan I am satisfied with MIDCO sports streaming. It's a bargain and the quality is always good. Going to be interesting to see who they have for play for play, just hope they aren't hiring Western Illinois students (old joke). 

• Upvote 3