SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

42 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

I thought he'd leave last year...I was surprised that he stuck around at UConn for two seasons with how highly touted he was.
Would be a great pickup and immediate impact player for wherever he lands...Divver says UMN, UW, and UND are the favs.  We'll see.
We won't need the portal nearly as much this year as last...but a couple players like Wood and Pohlkamp would be massive gets.

Portal entrants are going crazy with today being the first day for non-grads to enter.
This is all from today alone already, with more coming I'd expect:

:0
Couple more UMD players entered, as well as a Miami player.
Carter Wilkie has a pile of points from RIT.
Merrimack has four portal adds to their team already this offseason.
A Michigan player entered, even with his team still playing.

This portal stuff is craziness.

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

How sweet would that be. Has east coast written all over him. But playing with Blake would be enticing (assuming Blake doesn’t sign).

Well I guess we are in the mix…along with Wisco and MN 

Again, I’m guessing it would hinge on if Blake is coming back.

5 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

UND had a great season thanks to bringing in some good players from the portal. But I still don't like it. Free agency in college sports is wrong.

Agreed.  This is changing college athletics...won't see many players being loyal to their team or earning their spot anymore.
Just go to a different team instead.  It'll make you really start to appreciate the guys that stick around one team for their entire college career.

But I guess this is our new reality, so teams need to embrace it if they plan on succeeding going forward.  :unsure:

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

How sweet would that be. Has east coast written all over him. But playing with Blake would be enticing (assuming Blake doesn’t sign).

Give him a setup man like Blake or Swanson and he could double his goal total.

• Upvote 3

If Persson departs, that RIT goalie in the portal, Tommy Scarfone, has put up very solid numbers in all three college seasons.
He wouldn't have faced the same level of competition, but still good numbers.

I wonder where Michael Emerson will end up?

• Upvote 1

I know nothing about it (or most anything for that matter), but I would guess for the bigger names it is likely advisor driven.  It's easy to imagine the advisor reaching out to programs to gauge their interest, then picking the right spot even before officially entering the portal.

It is sad, but again if that's the landscape you're operating in, you'd better participate.

9 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.  This is changing college athletics...won't see many players being loyal to their team or earning their spot anymore.
Just go to a different team instead.  It'll make you really start to appreciate the guys that stick around one team for their entire college career.

But I guess this is our new reality, so teams need to embrace it if they plan on succeeding going forward.  :unsure:

Give him a setup man like Blake or Swanson and he could double his goal total.

Not necessarily, unless it was a part of one of the lawsuits the NC$$ lost. Can't they go back to making the players sit out a year? That would certainly stop a lot of the movement.

• Upvote 1

Add wood and someone like Pohlkamp and that would be a top 1-2…3 team in the country. MN is always heavy…but if Wood is making a hockey only choice and Blake stays, that’s an absolute no brainer. McMahon reporting MN is heavy favorite.

Just now, siouxfaninseattle said:

Not necessarily, unless it was a part of one of the lawsuits the NC$$ lost. Can't they go back to making the players sit out a year? That would certainly stop a lot of the movement.

You'd think if they could, they'd go back to making players sit a year and also maybe control NIL a bit.
I have no idea if that would be possible though.

3 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

A player like him definitely should play in a more competitive conference. Good on him for sticking to his commitment and playing at BSU his first year. If he does enter the portal how realistic is it that he goes to UND? He's a terrific player. I feel like most schools will give him offers. 

Things can always change, but as of the night of their semi-final win vs LSSU, he apparently told people he's headed down Hwy 2.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Add wood and someone like Pohlkamp and that would be a top 1-2…3 team in the country. MN is always heavy…but if Wood is making a hockey only choice and Blake stays, that’s an absolute no brainer. McMahon reporting MN is heavy favorite.

Minnesota loses a few guys that play a lot of minutes in Snuggerud, Brodzinski and Nelson, so may be a lot of opportunity for big minutes.  Playing with Blake can really give players nice numbers though.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

You'd think if they could, they'd go back to making players sit a year and also maybe control NIL a bit.
I have no idea if that would be possible though.

They were saying that part of the reason that they are thinking about Major Junior players being NCAA eligible is because the threat of lawsuits.  I’m afraid there is no going back on this now, even though I wish there we could.

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Things can always change, but as of the night of their semi-final win vs LSSU, he apparently told people he's headed down Hwy 2.

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Duluth?

Yes, did he say moving UP Hwy 2, or DOWN Hwy 2?

;)

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Minot State?  Lake Region?  Williston?  

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

Portal entrants are going crazy with today being the first day for non-grads to enter.
This is all from today alone already, with more coming I'd expect:

:0
Couple more UMD players entered, as well as a Miami player.
Carter Wilkie has a pile of points from RIT.
Merrimack has four portal adds to their team already this offseason.
A Michigan player entered, even with his team still playing.

This portal stuff is craziness.

That Michigan player was part of the vandalism at the Jewish Resource Center, wasn't on the team after that incident. 

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Yes, did he say moving UP Hwy 2, or DOWN Hwy 2?

;)

Haha...my term not his.

Reached out to my guy in the program and he says that's not accurate but I can't tell if he's just messing with me, as he also told me last week he didn't know anything about entering the portal.

On 3/13/2024 at 4:31 PM, brianvf said:

+1

Agreed on the portal as well.  I think if they find 1-2 options that would be a good fit that they could pick them up and then have a couple of the recruits spend another year in juniors.  Goalie to replace Persson if he leaves.  Not many holes to fill, especially not when compared to last year.

I feel the planned players coming up may bolt on the Sioux if we ask them to stay another year in juniors. We need to keep quality recruits and develop them.