SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

2 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

What are you smoking? Those transfers helped UND win another Penrose.

Another Penrose and firsr round exit.  This roster is filled with role players.  Outside of Blake what other forward would make the top line of any of the FF teams?  Not one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

None of those top lines has guys entering the portal. So what’s your argument? Denver is working on their first National title with a first round pick in years. So what?

Maybe wrong thread but my point is our talent level is several notches below the top teams in the country and we don't have the horses to pull us through.

13 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Maybe wrong thread but my point is our talent level is several notches below the top teams in the country and we don't have the horses to pull us through.

I’m sorry but I’m going to sort of disagree with you. I’ll give you that our talent level is below Michigan and BC. BC is loaded with 1st rounders - no one in the country matches their talent level. But we are on par with BU and Denver, based on season results against them. BU fans even mentioned that UND had way more forward depth than their team when we played them. And the other teams that made regional finals? Michigan State, Qpac, Minnesota, Cornell? Yeah I think our talent level is on par with all those teams (or better). The issue to me is on the back end. We are still in the middle of rebuilding back there. Pyke, Britt and Pehrson were brought in to keep things stable until our more talented recruits get here. I think the defensive talent just needs some time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

And let's remember, all those "blue chippers" are not going to stick around 3 to 4 years. Once their seasons are over, they'll have NHL reps dangling contracts with dollar signs on them. A mix of 1-2 year and 3-4 year players is probably the best approach.

• Upvote 2

...and if the Quinnipiac player could have put the puck into a wide open net, BC would be having their mass exodus right about now.  That guy has got to be seeing that wide open net in his nightmares. 

• Like 4

I'd argue UND runs a roster where the 12 forwards on any given night are "average to plus two sigma" guys on the NCAA forward talent bell curve. You must be an average (or better) NCAA forward to get onto the UND ice. 

Some teams dream of having a line card of just "NCAA average" much less better than average. Call it a valley surrounded by hills roster. 

Others teams have a couple "plus four or five sigma" guys but a third and fourth line that is "average to minus one sigma" at best. Call it a "tall peaks and valley" roster.

By comparison UND runs a rolling plateau or a "rolling high plains" roster: Tops aren't mountains but the bottoms ain't Death Valley. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tnt said:

...and if the Quinnipiac player could have put the puck into a wide open net, BC would be having their mass exodus right about now.  That guy has got to be seeing that wide open net in his nightmares. 

Gonna take a lot of MD 20/20 to wash that away. 

Edit: I've been told this generation is just learning of the "mad dog" (and its associated evils). 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, tnt said:

Gawd….Forever! Maybe he was a bit shocked and surprised at how alone he was and having the puck land right on his tape?!

My portal predictions:

- UND won't be "most added from portal" this year (three, maybe four, but Merrimack is four already!) 
- the Rink Live spreadsheet will have 300+ names by May

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

My portal predictions:

- UND won't be "most added from portal" this year (three, maybe four, but Merrimack is four already!) 
- the Rink Live spreadsheet will have 300+ names by May

Would think Duluth will have to grab quite a few from the portal, having lost some to the portal. The thing is you never know who is thinking of entering on UND's roster. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd argue UND runs a roster where the 12 forwards on any given night are "average to plus two sigma" guys on the NCAA forward talent bell curve. You must be an average (or better) NCAA forward to get onto the UND ice. 

Some teams dream of having a line card of just "NCAA average" much less better than average. Call it a valley surrounded by hills roster. 

Others teams have a couple "plus four or five sigma" guys but a third and fourth line that is "average to minus one sigma" at best. Call it a "tall peaks and valley" roster.

By comparison UND runs a rolling plateau or a "rolling high plains" roster: Tops aren't mountains but the bottoms ain't Death Valley. 

Could we question that this philosophy isn't working.  Too much to ask to have 5-6 extreme top end kids on the roster at all times knowing they might only be here a couple of years and have replacements of the same caliber waiting in the wings every season to come in?

7 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Pohlkamp has officially entered the portal

Like some have speculated, he may very well already know where he's going, the portal just being a necessary channel he has to go through.