SiouxSports.com Forum

The Portal - Basketball Edition

sioux24/7

On 4/4/2024 at 8:38 AM, SD UND said:

BJ is visiting or has visited Oregon St and Cal.

I would be surprised if Minnesota is an option, but I could be wrong.

Minnesota has not shown any interest at this point and I don't think they will. Have heard BJ's agent initial NIL ask turned some SEC schools off completely.

11 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Minnesota has not shown any interest at this point and I don't think they will. Have heard BJ's agent initial NIL ask turned some SEC schools off completely.

Maybe he'll go home to join up with the defending national champs.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

It’s just a compilation of reports from twitter where it says North Dakota has contacted them. 

got it...just thought it was weird that it wasn't showing moni or hurlburt which i'm assuming we want either/both badly?

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

got it...just thought it was weird that it wasn't showing moni or hurlburt which i'm assuming we want either/both badly?

Yeah its not a complete list but still nice to see, Moni has already got offered by UND so he should be on the list. I would definitely assume we reached out to Hurlburt but cant 100% say we have

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have been thinking about the transfer portal and how we could get some equity for small mid majors when they take risk to develop players out of high school. This would be for basketball for both men and women because of how basketball  development of player is unusual. I think there needs to be contract between schools and player where if they commit to the school as high school graduate they are required to stay 3 years but here is where it gets interesting the first year would be considered red shirt year so in effect these players would get 5 years of eligibility. Like so many of the mid majors are all saying they would just want to keep player 3 years. Now for player who hates school in first year they can transfer but have to sit a year before they could play again. I think this could work because power schools would have players  fully ready to play and still have two years for them on their schools. This gives players another year to develop their talents and would surely mean most would graduate with a degree and chance to receive NIL money for their years of playing college basketball. The thing about this would allow mid majors chance of having players to compete in NCAA tournament. We already have seen the fifth year of eligibility can work with the COVID 5th year and how that has brought up the level of play. The reason for sitting year if they transfer is because of getting extra year of eligibility it’s way to detour players transferring early and think it could stand up because it’s contract and they are getting something in exchange for it. The schools that could offered this would be schools coming from one bid conferences where schools from power conferences would be recruiting on present rules or they could also add option of red shirt season where players could play so many games to have similar amount of eligibility but in all likely hood not get playing time if went to mid major. I am sure I have missed a lot of problems in doing this but if we are going to be feeder to power schools we need to balance this out where we at least get year of development we invested in these players and we can stay competitive. I think this could be done down to division II level as well or we are going see same thing done to them by mid majors under present system.

47 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

In the Herald article, it really sounds like Woodson is very excited to come to UND!

Was a good article

also good article on the football defense secondary 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i know bj was long and athletic...but is our new guy long, athletic, and a little beefier and a better shooter?

Not sure if they even play the same position. Woodson looks like a 4 to me. But yes is beefier and can shoot it better. I’d say not the dynamic athlete and can’t handle like BJ could. I think 2 dribbles was the most I seen him take. Still think he’s a good fit and would be shocked if he couldn’t be a productive player at this level. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

In the Herald article, it really sounds like Woodson is very excited to come to UND!

Reading the article it is clear that UND was very interested to him early on and took to a long term perspective on his recruitment.  It's almost I like the staff anticipated the need to replace BJ this spring.  Great job by the entire staff, welcome to UND Mr. Woodson looking forward to seeing your continue development. 

• Like 2