SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Remember when NIL was pitched as a way for NCAA athletes to get compensated because the school was making money off their name, image, or likeness?  0NOw it has turned into a recruiting tool to buy players as free agents and the highest bidder wins.  Completely out of hand.  NCAA failed to regulate it.  They need to rein it in before it really gets out of hand.  Por sports have salary caps.  There needs to be an NIL cap.  Obviously, schools with FBS in P5 conferences would have a different cap amount than say NSIC schools.  Either way, there needs to be a solution to the NIL craziness before it gets really out of hand.... which we are tattering on right now.

Two angles that I love about NIL:

First is it allows top level athletes to make a good amount of money in college. This is a good thing because we all know some horror stories of guys who were studs in college and had a freak injury ruin their chances at the pros. That screwed over a lot of families that were looking at generational family changing wealth. 

The other angle is some athletes are making so much in college that they’ll stay an extra year or two instead of bolting ASAP for financial reasons. This makes the product on the field for college sports better and more entertaining for us at home.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dustin said:

So, someone was saying that Transfer Portal for non-graduate students opens today?  Is the fact that we're not seeing any TP announcements so far a good thing?  Or too early to tell?

I would say both. Logically, if you were going to enter the transfer portal, you'd gain nothing by waiting. That being said, just like with the Grad transfers, they seem to trickle in throughout the week. 

Side note: Interested in Ocansey. He was just a sophomore this year (Junior school wise). I wouldn't think there would be anything stopping someone from announcing they are going to enter before they technically could. He announces last week, but his name isn't officially entered until today. 

11 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I have been kicking myself for not pursuing NIL money back in the late 70’s in intramural basketball and softball 

Good one. I wonder if the guy who played college BB ( not sure if it was intramural BB or maybe even Duke) has info.  Either way, he may have an insider perspective on how his school is dealing with their BB recruits regarding NIL. 

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Two angles that I love about NIL:

First is it allows top level athletes to make a good amount of money in college. This is a good thing because we all know some horror stories of guys who were studs in college and had a freak injury ruin their chances at the pros. That screwed over a lot of families that were looking at generational family changing wealth. 

The other angle is some athletes are making so much in college that they’ll stay an extra year or two instead of bolting ASAP for financial reasons. This makes the product on the field for college sports better and more entertaining for us at home.

I also enjoy that it lets great college guys who don't have the skill set to make it big in the pros get paid.

Think how much guys like Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerfle, etc could have made lol

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

So, someone was saying that Transfer Portal for non-graduate students opens today?  Is the fact that we're not seeing any TP announcements so far a good thing?  Or too early to tell?

The thing about the official portal is that it’s not accessible to the public. Sites like on3 and 247 are just scouring social media and news outlets to get the info. So if a player doesn’t make it public on social media it might take a while to know who’s officially in the portal. 

13 minutes ago, Kab said:

As an alumni I’m not supposed to be able to talk to recruits yet I could spend 1 million $ on NIL money on them

NC$$ is fd up

Start loading up your High School Athletes with steroids and whatever else now to land that NIL deal!!  Honest but sad point to make is high schools are not regulated and now look at the carrot in front of them.

13 minutes ago, NDRA said:

According to the list in the forum, it's not hard to see the correlation between schools with winning programs and the small number of players they have in the portal.  At least up to this point, could all change quickly.

NDSU made the semis last year and had a ton of guys transferred out. 

JMU is having an amazing year and has a ton of guys in the portal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Good one. I wonder if the guy who played college BB ( not sure if it was intramural BB or maybe even Duke) has info.  Either way, he may have an insider perspective on how his school is dealing with their BB recruits regarding NIL. 

Thanks for thinking of me! I'm glad my name pops into your head!

Unfortunately, I missed out on NIL opportunities by a few years so wasn't able to capitalize on that. The school I played for has an NIL collective set up for all student-athletes. Have no insider info on how much money this gets, or how much any of the student athletes make from it. Sorry I am of no help there.

Either way, I am fully in support of allowing these kids to be paid what they are worth. 

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I also enjoy that it lets great college guys who don't have the skill set to make it big in the pros get paid.

Think how much guys like Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerfle, etc could have made lol

Not really my point. I’m talking more about guys like Dupree from Oklahoma back in the day. Dude would’ve made life changing money even with his career ruining injury. 

35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

True, they did lose in the "Ship" last yr and did have a lot of transfers.  I was referring to todays list in Forum and this years portal.

48 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

JMU’s coach went to Indiana and is rumored to be bringing most of his coaches with him.  I’m sure that also impacted the portal for JMU.

26 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

An easy improvement would be to go back to requiring sitting out a year when transferring.  That would cut down on a lot of the transfers for NIL money.  

I haven’t kept up enough to know if that was changed to meet a law or if it was ncaa whim.  

Who does the sit out a year rule benefit exactly?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Who does the sit out a year rule benefit exactly?

The schools that they are currently playing for and that have invested a lot of time and effort into them.  Like the FCS and FBS schools that can’t compete with the big NIL war chest schools and are getting their players poached.  

I'm not against transferring but if it’s worth it to you you’ll  be willing to sit a year.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The schools that they are currently playing for and that have invested a lot of time and effort into them.  Like the FCS and FBS schools that can’t compete with the big NIL war chest schools and are getting their players poached.  

I'm not against transferring but if it’s worth it to you you’ll  be willing to sit a year.  

Yet coaches can lie straight to a kids face by telling them they have zero intention on leaving the school and then to accept a job somewhere else 30 min later. I have zero sympathy for the schools or coaches 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

First transfer should be free. Second transfer should have a year penalty. 

Right, so the players owe it to the schools but don’t deserve autonomy if things don’t work out or aren’t as advertised?

5 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Yet coaches can lie straight to a kids face by telling them they have zero intention on leaving the school and then to accept a job somewhere else 30 min later. I have zero sympathy for the schools or coaches 

For this reason and this reason alone.. the kids should be able to hit the portal whenever they want.  Im 100% onboard with the kids getting paid large sums of money at the big schools.. IF you can afford to pay a coach and his assistants 100 Million and if the school can makes millions then the kids should get a large share of that.  Maybe we should stop pretending that the big schools/big sports are really about having student athletes.  Maybe the kids should be getting scholarships at the schools that can be used in the future for when they arent spending 100% of their time on their sport and getting paid while they are playing.

I have no idea how it should be implemented.. this free for all going on right now seems unsustainable.. but bottom line for me is that the kids deserve it and need to get paid.. Ill never have any sympathy for the schools or the coaches

• Like 2