SiouxSports.com Forum

Goldy visits the Ralph

Wilbur

I'm in such a great mood after the bizen, the badgers, and my Fighting Irish rolling Caleb Williams....it's only fitting to start Gopher week.  

They lost some guys but still have a really solid group, and we've gotta keep an eye on that Snuggy kid.

I'd put the Johannes line on his line and just pound on them with James and Jammer.

How disgusting is it that they have a 25 year old Canadian playing goalie?  Disgusting....

Fun week as always.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 8:55 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

I have said this before and I will say it again: Screw realignment, this is still our #1 enemy. And I still feel the same way about them I did as an undergraduate.

GO SIOUX, GOPHERS SUCK!!! :D

To me it's an out of conference game that we must win. I have moved on from them being our "so called #1 enemy", Denver is #1 in my book.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There is way too much history between the programs to treat them as "just another non-conference opponent". But that's just me.

That's exactly what it is, HISTORY. When the B10 and NCHC were created and they stopped playing, the rivalry went away and they are just another non-conference opponent.

The Rivalry is not the same.  My excitement is the fact we have the #1 team coming to the Ralph this weekend.  A great opportunity for the team to hopefully get a couple wins that will help at the end of the year with the Pairwise rankings.   I would consider most of our NCHC opponents bigger rivals.  But that is just me.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Big Green said:

The Rivalry is not the same.  My excitement is the fact we have the #1 team coming to the Ralph this weekend.  A great opportunity for the team to hopefully get a couple wins that will help at the end of the year with the Pairwise rankings.   I would consider most of our NCHC opponents bigger rivals.  But that is just me.

I am in the same boat as you my friend!

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Maybe to you. But to most people on both sides it's still very much a rivalry.

A lot of people down here in MPLS could care less. 
Also, could you name every player on their current roster without looking it up (I'm guessing not)? Back when we played them every year, you could name every player and their mother on that roster. Again, the rivalry died when we stopped playing every year (Lucia even said it when they left for the B10) and the only people that are still pretending like its the same are the ones who keep B#*(*ing about the Fighting Hawks nickname.

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

That's exactly what it is, HISTORY. When the B10 and NCHC were created and they stopped playing, the rivalry went away and they are just another non-conference opponent.

That's what some people said about UND and NDSU because we didn't play each other for a long time. Saturday's insane atmosphere in the Alerus Center says otherwise.

Also, Iowa and Iowa State are in different conferences and that rivalry is still alive and kicking.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Also, could you name every player on their current roster without looking it up (I'm guessing not)? Back when we played them every year, you could name every player and their mother on that roster. Again, the rivalry died when we stopped playing every year (Lucia even said it when they left for the B10) and the only people that are still pretending like its the same are the ones who keep B#*(*ing about the Fighting Hawks nickname.

Lucia was just butt-hurt from all the beatings they took from UND.:wink:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Those people are the same ones who care more about basketball and football, even though neither program has won anything significant in decades. They probably don't even know where Mariucci Arena is.

I saw an article about ticket scalpers after realignment who complained that the only time they made money on Gopher hockey was when UND was in town. So I think reports on the rivalry being dead are greatly exaggerated.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That's what some people said about UND and NDSU because we didn't play each other for a long time. Saturday's insane atmosphere in the Alerus Center says otherwise.

Also, Iowa and Iowa State are in different conferences and that rivalry is still alive and kicking.

UND and NDSU are in the same conference and are only 80 miles apart from each other. Iowa and Iowa state are 120 miles apart and are both in the same state. not even comparable situation