SiouxSports.com Forum

Goldy visits the Ralph

Wilbur

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think this is a great point. We are more senior in terms of games played, with Minny being rather young. I'd bet this will be the loudest and most raucous atmosphere a majority of their kids have ever played (I guess the same could be said for some of our transfers, too). Gotta come out hard. 

Man, if we pot one early... 

Expanding upon that, looking forward to see how a guy like Persson handles this crowd. He's well seasoned, but this will be a different atmosphere than he's seen at the Ralph before. He's shown to be very calm and collected in nature and we need that big time. Need to lean on a guy like Pehrson on the backend to keep the boys calm and poised in the d-corps. Big minutes from him.

As far as the forward group goes... absolute balls to the walls. I wanna see Johannes or Jammer blow someone up on the first shift. I bet the Triple J line starts the game. 

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think this is a great point. We are more senior in terms of games played, with Minny being rather young. I'd bet this will be the loudest and most raucous atmosphere a majority of their kids have ever played. Gotta come out hard. 

None of their defensemen that are playing this weekend played in the series last time it was at the Ralph. Koster is out and he’s the only one that has. So they are super young and inexperienced back there. 

Im also interested to see how both team’s forwards match up. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think this is a great point. We are more senior in terms of games played, with Minny being rather young. I'd bet this will be the loudest and most raucous atmosphere a majority of their kids have ever played (I guess the same could be said for some of our transfers, too). Gotta come out hard. 

A lot of the forwards were in the game against us last year. Plus a lot of this team played a big 10 champ game in front of a raucous crowd and played in a national championship game. Let’s not assume we have the upper hand for experience too heavily here, these guys aren’t exactly rooks when it comes to big games in a loud atmosphere. Also Chesley may end up playing this weekend and he brings some experience on the back end. Either way, their forward group is stacked and those guys have played in some big-time matches. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

A lot of the forwards were in the game against us last year. Plus a lot of this team played a big 10 champ game in front of a raucous crowd and played in a national championship game. Let’s not assume we have the upper hand for experience too heavily here, these guys aren’t exactly rooks when it comes to big games in a loud atmosphere. Also Chesley may end up playing this weekend and he brings some experience on the back end. Either way, their forward group is stacked and those guys have played in some big-time matches. 

Fair enough, I'm thinking more about the guys they lost. Lots of big time players with experience in big time games. Plus, none of their D-corps played here.

I'd say we have the experience factor, but it's not a massive difference, I can agree with that.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm anxious to see how Minnesota handles the crowd driven push by UND right away.  I'm envisioning UND coming out fast and physical, the likes of which Minnesota hasn't seen to this point.

Hopefully the physical is clean, because if we give them power plays it might help them get off on the right foot.   Would be nice for us to get the first goal and put them behind the eight ball from the start.  

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Any chance this gets played on the scoreboard at the Ralph??!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLvvBBjMSlg

no chance...even tho i love the goofs loosing...i have no love for Rand...he is an ass, and a sore looser.   i believe he is still the only coach that Tim H. has no respect for.   and besides, we have a ton of our own highlights to show, if so desired

34 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Any chance this gets played on the scoreboard at the Ralph??!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLvvBBjMSlg

This would fan the flames for the gophs and give them more motivation than they already have. Methinks we keep this one for chirping on Twitter and the message boards but stay away from the actual rink. 

• Upvote 1

gotta have a fast start, and i wouldn't mind Ludvig seeing a couple shots early to get in the game...They are gonna come out swinging, they still have a bad taste in there mouth over there play last year at Mariucci.   And the veterns, and coaches will be explaining the rivalry to the new members..  place is gonna be loud ...cant wait!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

This would fan the flames for the gophs and give them more motivation than they already have. Methinks we keep this one for chirping on Twitter and the message boards but stay away from the actual rink. 

Yeah, whether you believe in bulletin board material or not, why give the opposition something to shove back in your face!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

It also has nothing to do with UND. REA has enough material to show that it’d be really lame if they did. 

Yeah, everybody loved the Holy Cross win, but frankly the amount of run that has had seems obsessive.  Basically it was just the precursor to the modern day regional where low seeds beat higher seeds more frequently. 

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, everybody loved the Holy Cross win, but frankly the amount of run that has had seems obsessive.  Basically it was just the precursor to the modern day regional where low seeds beat higher seeds more frequently. 

That exception has become less the exception. 

I think a lot of top seeds wrap it up early and cruise control to the NCAAs; the fours are fighting the whole way so already have it "turned on". 

12 minutes ago, Goon said:

I told someone, UND needs to stay out of the penalty box and not lose their heads. 

To that end, Gaber took a bad penalty against Wisconsin when we were only ahead 1-0 and thankfully they didn't score.   Good penalties are one thing when playing a rivalry game, but bad penalties can really hurt momentum and crowd interaction, so we need our leaders to demonstrate that discipline. 

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

To that end, Gaber took a bad penalty against Wisconsin when we were only ahead 1-0 and thankfully they didn't score.   Good penalties are one thing when playing a rivalry game, but bad penalties can really hurt momentum and crowd interaction, so we need our leaders to demonstrate that discipline. 

Are you talking about that two handed pop to the back of the Badgers player near the boards behind our own net? (At least that’s my recollection of the play). If so yes, such an unnessary penalty. Just get your body on the guy, tie him up along the boards with the puck to help chew up precious clock time. 

1 minute ago, Godsmack said:

Are you talking about that two handed pop to the back of the Badgers player near the boards behind our own net? (At least that’s my recollection of the play). If so yes, such an unnessary penalty. Just get your body on the guy, tie him up along the boards with the puck to help chew up precious clock time. 

That's the one. 

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

That's the one. 

Yah man, easy for me to say sitting back in the comfort of my living room but just such an unnecessary penalty that could’ve cost us. Hopefully we will keep our emotions in check this weekend and minimize the penalties.