SiouxSports.com Forum

Goldy visits the Ralph

Wilbur

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

To me it's an out of conference game that we must win. I have moved on from them being our "so called #1 enemy", Denver is #1 in my book.

I @#$%ing hate Duluth. They're at the top in my list, followed by Minnesota then Denver. To me, the Denver rivalry hasn't been the same since Gwoz left. We may not be in the same conference as Minnesota but I want UND to beat the crap out of them none the less because it's always good to see their fans have a meltdown.

You can see when the teams play against each other, most UND and Minnesota players take the rivalry seriously even if fans don't. Except the Thanskgiving massacre game, Minnesota checked out in that one. :D

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I can definitely name more players on the gopher roster than on any other nchc team. They have some pretty good players. I also didn't realize being able to name every player is a requirement to be a rivalry. Just because you don't care as much doesn't mean you need to ruin everyone else's fun. 

I never said it was a requirement. 

if me saying it’s not a rivalry is “ruining your fun”, I’d probably stay home where it’s safe from others.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I @#$%ing hate Duluth. They're at the top in my list, followed by Minnesota then Denver. To me, the Denver rivalry hasn't been the same since Gwoz left. We may not be in the same conference as Minnesota but I want UND to beat the crap out of them none the less because it's always good to see their fans have a meltdown.

You can see when the teams play against each other, most UND and Minnesota players take the rivalry seriously even if fans don't. Except the Thanskgiving massacre game, Minnesota checked out in that one. :D

I also can’t stand Duluth and despise their fan base. 

Of course I want to beat Minnesota but I wanna beat them like any other non conference team. 

29 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

If these two teams end up in the FF national championship game, you will see what the rivalry is.

Can’t stand their effin’ spelling bee cheer.  Better just shut them out so we don’t have to hear it.:)

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

UND and NDSU are in the same conference and are only 80 miles apart from each other. Iowa and Iowa state are 120 miles apart and are both in the same state. not even comparable situation 

UND and NDSU were in different conferences for 10+ years. The rivalry never "died", it was just dormant. As long as we don't stop playing them entirely, it will continue.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, thUNDer said:

Siouxkid12 needs to be cut some slack for being who his name is. He’s unable to walk in our historical shoes recalling the Winter Sports Center (Old Ralph), Smokey hallways, dead gophers, tons of pop cups for the smuggled booze, The Farce….forgive him for he knows no better. Luv ya kid!

Okay….

Still a rivalry, but not as much fun since it's not 2 series every season, and no conference points/standings on the line.  UND and Minn used to own the WCHA regular season, so competing with them for points and inevitably playing them in the conference tournament was all part of the fun.  You might have to play them 5 or 6 times in one season, with each one building a crescendo of importance (reg season, conf tourney, NCAA tourney).

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, tnt said:

Ever see the empty houses at Mariucci for years even against Big Ten opponents, and then magically sellouts when they played UND.   I imagine the casual hockey fan doesn’t care, but the ones that speak with their dollars still consider each other a huge rival.

It magically sells out because majority that go are UND fans. 

UND and MN is absolutely still a rivalry. UofM fans hate losing to UND, but it is probably a bit bigger for UND, as the Gophers also have Wisconsin. The beauty of the WCHA was there were multiple interconference rivalries. It will forever be said how that was the best conference.

While this is still a rivalry, and I'm pumped that we play every year, the rivalry was so much better when we played twice per year. 4 games, plus WCHA tourney matchups, plus NCAA Tourney matchups. That many games between top programs is the recipes for a rivalry. Cheap shots, crazy goals, fights, heated tempers, close wins/losses, ending another teams season .... they all contribute.

Just wish we could play them more often. I used to know their whole team. Who was good. Who was the agitator. Etc. Tough to keep track of their roster on a regular basis now.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

UND and MN is absolutely still a rivalry. UofM fans hate losing to UND, but it is probably a bit bigger for UND, as the Gophers also have Wisconsin. The beauty of the WCHA was there were multiple interconference rivalries. It will forever be said how that was the best conference.

While this is still a rivalry, and I'm pumped that we play every year, the rivalry was so much better when we played twice per year. 4 games, plus WCHA tourney matchups, plus NCAA Tourney matchups. That many games between top programs is the recipes for a rivalry. Cheap shots, crazy goals, fights, heated tempers, close wins/losses, ending another teams season .... they all contribute.

Just wish we could play them more often. I used to know their whole team. Who was good. Who was the agitator. Etc. Tough to keep track of their roster on a regular basis now.

I have checked out GPL and the discussion thread for our series with them goes on and on and on. The discussion thread for their series with Wisconsin is much shorter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2