SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

Listened to Kelly Howe on 740 yesterday and he thinks that they will go after another QB in the portal (there's a lot in there already this year). His reasoning was in case one of the top two lose the QB battle and transfers out they would have more options with only having 4 QBs on roster. (Not counting Q if he comes back) which would make sense and nothing wrong with more competition.

41 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Listened to Kelly Howe on 740 yesterday and he thinks that they will go after another QB in the portal (there's a lot in there already this year). His reasoning was in case one of the top two lose the QB battle and transfers out they would have more options with only having 4 QBs on roster. (Not counting Q if he comes back) which would make sense and nothing wrong with more competition.

Did he suggest which other players may leave early?

41 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Tom Miller was just on Izzo's show, he does not think they go after another QB from the portal. His thought being the QB battle will go into next Fall. I would tend to agree with that. 

One clarification maybe with Kelly's statement, is any QB portal add, the thought would be more as someone that provides nice depth. Wouldn't expect that person to challenge for the starting spot. 

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

it makes sense to bring in a QB. Romfo is a situational QB so they really only have two.  Sulik is a true freshman.

I would like to see them utilize Romfo’s athletic skills in different packages. I don’t see him moving ahead of either Feeney or Kaminski.  I wouldn’t sell him short as a backup QB however. He has done some good things in practice and has a good arm, good quickness and decent speed. 

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

If Feeney or Kaminski get beat out after the spring session, not totally unrealistic that the loser transfers out

Depends on how coaches sell the backup

Don’t  think Feeney would want to be on the bench for a 3rd year 

unusual to me that a QB doesn’t get hurt during the season

thought our coaches did a bad job getting the backups in this year except for the 1 yard QB play

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If Feeney or Kaminski get beat out after the spring session, not totally unrealistic that the loser transfers out

I would be really surprised if anything is resolved after Spring ball. Can anyone realistically see that happening?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kab said:

Depends on how coaches sell the backup

Don’t  think Feeney would want to be on the bench for a 3rd year 

unusual to me that a QB doesn’t get hurt during the season

thought our coaches did a bad job getting the backups in this year except for the 1 yard QB play

My other thought is it would make sense to me for Feeney to transfer out since he'll be a Junior. Wouldn't make sense for me for Jerry to transfer out as a RS Freshman. 

Edit: Like @Kab said though, I would hope the coaches would do a good job of selling the backup that he'll get his chance as well during the season.

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

I would be really surprised if anything is resolved after Spring ball. Can anyone realistically see that happening?

No.  It will be determined in fall camp.  And probably not even announced until game week of Iowa State.

32 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

For this reason alone, any coach with 2 brains cells would understand the importance of that competition carrying into fall camp.

They managed it with Tommy and Quincy (who flipped his commitment from Old Dominion) for multiple seasons. QV was so bought in that he switched positions just to help the team out his senior year. He's also shown to have incredibly high level character which helps. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Why would Kaminski transfer out? He’s literally a freshman. Where would he go?

and the only place I see Feeney going is the baseball route if he ever left. The transfer portal is no guarantee.

either QB could be named the starter and either could get hurt or underperform and get replaced by the other. I don’t see either leaving now.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Tom Miller was just on Izzo's show, he does not think they go after another QB from the portal. His thought being the QB battle will go into next Fall. I would tend to agree with that. 

One clarification maybe with Kelly's statement, is any QB portal add, the thought would be more as someone that provides nice depth. Wouldn't expect that person to challenge for the starting spot. 

Do we really need a portal QB transfer? How about bringing in another HS recruit? Shouldn’t threaten the top dogs to being in young underclassmen

21 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Do we really need a portal QB transfer? How about bringing in another HS recruit? Shouldn’t threaten the top dogs to being in young underclassmen

No. No need. The incoming true Fr will replace Tommy as far as the # of QB’s on roster goes. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

No. No need. The incoming true Fr will replace Tommy as far as the # of QB’s on roster goes. 

I agree, unless someone really amazing in the portal pops up and chooses us, let's get Feeney and Jerry going. Would rather we consistently recruit good QB's out of HS than be a school who has a track record of hitting the portal every year for a QB. Would think that could hinder future HS QB recruiting. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree, unless someone really amazing in the portal pops up and chooses us, let's get Feeney and Jerry going. Would rather we consistently recruit good QB's out of HS than be a school who has a track record of hitting the portal every year for a QB. Would think that could hinder future HS QB recruiting. 

Does UND have a QB commitment yet for the 2024 signing class?  I'm sure I could look it up somewhere, but if someone knows off the top of their head.

Also would agree that a portal QB doesn't make sense (unless by some odd situation Feeney or Kaminski transfer out of here before Xmas - never know in 2023!).  Not to mention I can't imagine a transfer would want to come here knowing there are 2 solid kids that are already in line.