SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 National Championship Game: Quinnipiac vs. Minnesota

Kevin G

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My problem with Faber bawling is: why was he on the ice. He wasn’t out in OT, 2 and 4 were. He came out to cry for the cameras when it’s QU’s time for the spotlight.

Have our guys shown emotion after a loss? Yes, from the bench not the ice. Get your composure, come out, congratulate, skate off. 

Basically 3:00 away from winning a national championship only to see it dissipate onto a vapor cloud 10 seconds into OT?  Sorry, Sic, these kids were devastated — even later on in the locker room interviews.  I don’t blame Faber ar all for his actions,  This was a gut punch.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

I think it's the combination of the stick up by the head and the hand/arm that knocks the helmet almost halfway off. Lucky that wasn't reviewed and called for some kind of 5 for hitting the head. Nchc refs, we know they like 5s for head contact 

Next year the emphasis should be on embellishment in NCHC.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Did Minnesota have a successful season?

Definitely a coulda woulda for them.  If they ever have a d core like that again I'd be shocked.

Was 2011 a successful year for UND?  Absolutely.  Didn't reach the pinnacle but that team checked a lot of boxes.  I'd put this gopher team in that category.  

9 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Basically 3:00 away from winning a national championship only to see it dissipate onto a vapor cloud 10 seconds into OT?  Sorry, Sic, these kids were devastated — even later on in the locker room interviews.  I don’t blame Faber ar all for his actions,  This was a gut punch.  

I watched again on ESPNU last night. 
He wasn't crying as he left the bench behind Motzko as Motzko went to shake Pecknold's hand. 
It was after the handshake line that they showed Faber twice.

Why wouldn't you go down the tunnel to the room after handshakes?

PS - Someone asked about ESPN showing it: ESPN is a moth, that was a flame, they couldn't stop themselves. 

7 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Yes it was.  There is only one champion crowned.  You can have all the talent but you also need some puck luck and fortunate bounces.  Like Wilbur said they checked a lot of boxes except one.  

7 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

This is such a loaded question.  They got one piece of hardware; Big Ten regular season champs (I don't know if that accomplishment actually comes with a physical piece of hardware, but I assume so), and had a chance at two more pieces (Big Ten tournament champion and NCAA champion) that they didn't get.  Considering the expectations, whether the season was a success could be argued either way forever (and at ad nauseum).  If UND were in the same shoes (which they have been in very similar shoes several times), as a fan, I would say no, the season was not successful to meet my satisfaction.  But taking out emotion, the pure statistical optics show a very successful season.

15 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This is such a loaded question.  They got one piece of hardware; Big Ten regular season champs (I don't know if that accomplishment actually comes with a physical piece of hardware, but I assume so), and had a chance at two more pieces (Big Ten tournament champion and NCAA champion) that they didn't get.  Considering the expectations, whether the season was a success could be argued either way forever (and at ad nauseum).  If UND were in the same shoes (which they have been in very similar shoes several times), as a fan, I would say no, the season was not successful to meet my satisfaction.  But taking out emotion, the pure statistical optics show a very successful season.

They got nice West Regional Champs hats in Fargo. ;)  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I watched again on ESPNU last night. 
He wasn't crying as he left the bench behind Motzko as Motzko went to shake Pecknold's hand. 
It was after the handshake line that they showed Faber twice.

Why wouldn't you go down the tunnel to the room after handshakes?

PS - Someone asked about ESPN showing it: ESPN is a moth, that was a flame, they couldn't stop themselves. 

Let it go.   

• Upvote 2

Monday morning thoughts, at the start of the off season:

Wondering if Bob Motzko is the right guy to win it at Minnesota.

He's great at recruiting talent, building and developing a strong roster.   And he's won a lot of regular season titles:  5 in the last 11 seasons, which is definitely elite in the coaching ranks.

But when the NCAA's roll around, his teams lose games they really shouldn't.   Two of those at St Cloud stand out.  2016 - Ferris State at the Xcel.  2018 - Air Force at Sioux Falls.  in 2021 and 2022 they lost to very good Mankato teams, but they barely put up a fight.  0-4 and 1-5 losses aren't good enough.  Not even close.

Maybe its in-game management.  Certainly, the Gophers changed their forecheck, leading 2-0 in the middle of the second period Saturday.  After creating loads of chances? Puzzling. 

There's a pattern here, of losing NCAA playoff games, despite having better talent.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

He's great at recruiting talent, building and developing a strong roster.   And he's won a lot of regular season titles:  5 in the last 11 seasons, which is definitely elite in the coaching ranks.

But when the NCAA's roll around, his teams lose games they really shouldn't.   Two of those at St Cloud stand out.  2016 - Ferris State at the Xcel.  2018 - Air Force at Sioux Falls.  in 2021 and 2022 they lost to very good Mankato teams, but they barely put up a fight.  0-4 and 1-5 losses aren't good enough.  Not even close.

Maybe its in-game management.  Certainly, the Gophers changed their forecheck, leading 2-0 in the middle of the second period Saturday.  After creating loads of chances? Puzzling. 

There's a pattern here, of losing NCAA playoff games, despite having better talent.  

People said the same about Hakstol.  I'm more of the mind that if you get me there all the time, you are going to get it done at some point.  An empty net goal, or a routine save away from not even having this conversation. 

22 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Watch the game again looking for shots of Motz.
His expression and demeanor down the stretch were not confidence-inspiring. 

Pecknold had the same "Pucker Factor: DIAMOND" look the whole game ... until he needed a hug. :love:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm more of the mind that if you get me there all the time, you are going to get it done at some point.

But what if they never do?  Then what?  I think that's the point people were at with Hakstol.  You would think 7 Frozen Fours would have been enough.  Maybe Hak's number was 8 - we'll never know.  Even if 8 was the number, that seems exceedingly high, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Having a successful season does not make it a success. That team had one real goal, and they didn't reach it.

2 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

So you're saying Motzko shouldn't have lost this game? Motzko can only coach so much and then his players have to execute and the players couldn't clearly execute once Pecknolds 1-1-3 neutral zone forecheck settled in (2nd period). Quinnipiac was relentless after the first period (which was obviously their worst). They had more shots on net and limited Minnesota's and they also won the faceoff battle (not a single Minnesota player was in double digit wins in the circle).

Also, lets look at the stats and give credit to Quinnipiac before criticizing Minnesota. Yes, Minnesota was ranked higher and had more recognition than Quinnipiac throughout the season but dive into the stats and you will see that Quinnipiac was a much better team overall. 

Faceoff win % - Quinnipiac #2 Minnesota #15

PK % - Quinnipiac #4 Minnesota #12

PP % - Quinnipiac #15 Minnesota #4

Scoring Defense - Quinnipiac #1 Minnesota #6

Scoring Margin - Quinnipiac #1 Minnesota #2

Scoring Offense - Quinnipiac #3 Minnesota #2 (they are awfully close in this category though)

Win % - Quinnipiac #1 Minnesota #3

Goalies - Quinnipiac (Perets) Winning %, GAA, Save % - #1/#2 in all those categories Minnesota (Close) #3/#4 in all those categories.

This loss isn't on Motzko whatsoever, this was just a very good Bobcats team.

• Upvote 3