SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Frozen Four Semifinals

Kevin G

Thursday, April 6, 2023

NCAA Tournament, Regional (at Amalie Arena, Tampa, Fla.)

Boston University vs. Minnesota    4:00pm CT, ESPN2/ESPN+

Michigan vs. Quinnipiac    7:30 CT, ESPN2/ESPN+

Hoping for anything but a B1G champ. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, brianvf said:

Best case scenario - BU vs QU

Worst case scenario - UMN vs UM

Anyone but Minny...Michigan hasn't won sh*t since 1998 so they may be due.  I just don't want to listen to the obnoxious, uneducated MInny fans going on about how great they are.  Never thought I'd root for BU.  #randpecknolddouche #gofersblow

Quick-and-dirty game prep for BU-Gophers:

BU:

• Record: 29-10-0; 1st in HEA; PWR #5; KRACH #5
  • Head Coach Jay Pandolfo, first year
  • 3.9 G/G (third nationally); 2.6 GA/G (16th nationally); +1.3 goal margin/game
  • 19.8% PP (29th nationally), 81.1% PK (31st nationally)
  • leading scorer: Lane Hutson, D, freshman, 15g-33a-48pts, 1.26 pts/gm

Minnesota:

• Record: 28-9-1; 1st in B1G; PWR #1; KRACH #1
  • Head Coach Bob Motzko, fifth year
  • 4.2 G/G (tied-first nationally); 3.1 GA/G (42nd nationally); +1.1 goal margin/game
  • 26.2% PP (fourth nationally); 83.7% PK (twelfth nationally)
  • leading scorer: Logan Cooley, F, freshman, 20g-37a-57pts, 1.54 pts/gm

Not sure if anyone knows, but did the teams have any say in the semifinal game times, or were they set by ESPN?  From my perspective, I would bet the former, and Minnesota, as the top seed, requested the earlier game.  Optics wise, I think the Minnesota-BU game would have been a better primetime game, as two long-time hockey powers with bigger fanbases. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Not sure if anyone knows, but did the teams have any say in the semifinal game times, or were they set by ESPN?  From my perspective, I would bet the former, and Minnesota, as the top seed, requested the earlier game.  Optics wise, I think the Minnesota-BU game would have been a better primetime game, as two long-time hockey powers with bigger fanbases. 

I don’t think they have any say. 

11 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Interesting that they wouldn't be the later game...it's not like they're playing the final tomorrow.