SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

Maybe this will be turning point in the season and this group of girls need to start playing as a team. Definitely hurt not having Pemberton but this team needs to work on the basics. Bernhard is going to need to simplify this down for this team and work on some basics on shooting is the first place and by this find where each individual player is getting their shot and that is where they work in the off-time shooting. I have theory and i may be all wrong on this but our conditioning program I can see where we are physically stronger with number of these players, but I also wonder if we haven't slowed them in their quickness and finesse which leads us back to our defense and shooting where both these are needed to be successful. All I know is we have long way to go if were going do something in the Summit conference. Getting back to Mayville they have been knocking on the door last three times we have played them and give them credit this time they didn't cave under pressure. NDSU played them and they beat them by 23 but the game was close until the fourth quarter when they finally broke it open and other night South Dakota State had all they wanted with Dordt college and were down most of the game finally winning by 12 another NAIA school but rated 2 in the country.  The separation in women's sport is not as wide as it is in mens sports between the various classes in women's sports and is one of the reasons like women's sports because one or two players often times is the difference between various classes.

November 25, 1997

The Old Hyslop Sports Center

UND Women's Basketball Team 131, Mayville State 41

A 90 point win by the greatest team in program history.

Tonight, 26 years later, UND loses to Mayville State in the BESC.

And the Old Hyslop is being demolished in summer 2024.

Just like the Womens basketball program.

Almost perfect symmetry, don't you think?

But I suppose it's okay because they are student-athletes learning "life lessons".

Whatever makes it easier to sleep at night, I guess. :silly:

• Like 1

They were blindsided, probably already had their bags packed for holiday break. Mayville has talent for their level. Lots more movement on their part. While we have lots of talent, you can tell several of them are used to being the star, they have a shoot first mentality. There is at least one on the bench that gets just a few minutes but you can tell she is a true playmaker/point guard. Not a coach, but having several shoot-first players on the courts at the same time is obviously not working.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Top tier NAIA programs can compete and often beat bad D1 programs. Glad that point got proven again last night, sucks it had to happen to UND 

When our Men’s team was really bad in 2021-22, they only beat Mayville by 4. If they had played a team like Jamestown that year I don’t know if they win…

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

When our Men’s team was really bad in 2021-22, they only beat Mayville by 4. If they had played a team like Jamestown that year I don’t know if they win…

Haha don’t get me started on Jamestown. That was also Mayvilles worst team in 3 or 4 years before that

Pasty white regional kids that can actually shoot and want to play D might be something to consider vs what has been and is being recruited.

No offense to Mayville but that is a game UND should never lose.

Maybe the worst truth is this wasn’t a one off. We played normal. We just aren’t a good team.

We continue to get players who forgot how to shoot. How can we get a bunch - the majority - of players who can’t shoot. We have nobody that can make a three much less closer to the basket.

There is a chance I am overreacting but probably not by much. Disappointing 

UGH

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Maybe the worst truth is this wasn’t a one off. We played normal. We just aren’t a good team.

We continue to get players who forgot how to shoot. How can we get a bunch - the majority - of players who can’t shoot. We have nobody that can make a three much less closer to the basket.

There is a chance I am overreacting but probably not by much. Disappointing 

UGH

Truth this I don't believe is a one off. I have watched most their games this year and haven't shot well or played good defense all year.  NDSU, SDSU, AND USD  all win with North Dakota, South dakota and Minnesota girls.  We obviously don't think there is any talent here.  I don't think Mal knows what talent is.  Other then Kacie all these are her recruits 

I don’t like this about where our recruits come from because if the player we recruit has talent and ability to play division I basketball it doesn’t matter. The Pemberton and  Horne girls from Canada look to me have the talent will only get better if they continue to work hard. Last years recruits of Beal and Hurst have struggled this year but I think they could develop into good players but each of them are having different problems. I think Beal needs playing time and what she needs to work on is  her shooting and she needs to slow her game down because most of time she rushing her shots. I think right now her defense is acceptable but needs to work more on team concept of defense but again you learn most playing. If she can put this all together she can become outstanding player. Hurst has a lot of talent but her problem is she wants to be a star always putting up shot and when she has been doing this whole team suffers. Second she has not worked at playing defense and this makes her such liability for whole team. I think she needs to buy into the team but I am afraid she has her eyes on playing big time she thinks she is point guard or shooting guard but I think this going to be hard realization her talents don’t fit for playing these positions. In my opinion she could become tremendous inside player using her size strength and using her shot making ability to open high percentage shots inside. Also she could become player controlling the boards on both ends of the floor. Other players for UND have talents but it’s going to take time for these players to learn their roles. The problem right now so many of our players need to figure out there roles and then need to work hard developing those roles. The shooting problems is some of the above and some comes from UND on getting these girls prepared to shoot in game situations. Like something is happening because these players have performed before is preparation, or physical problems shooting the basketball, but since we’re having multiple people trouble this needs to be followed through looking how we can correct these problems.

• Upvote 2