SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

I thought this year Bernhard has done much better recruiting longer and more athletic players in Horne, Pemberton, and Ibrahim all are long look to be athletic. This is much bigger team than we have had in long time. Beal may a little under six feet but her long arms and jumping ability matches her up with a lot of six plus players. Then we have Hurst strength and ability to score inside and Bass looks to be similar player. The question is can we play better defense in post area and I believe that will come. Wyoming experienced team took advantage of that in the post but was good game for us to learn from and get better.

i am more concerned about our offense it was good see Kacie score but we need her to have less points from her and more from the rest of the team. To win we need scoring from the team and having only Kacie scoring is not recipe for winning.

• Upvote 1

South Dakota State is experiencing wave of injuries for this season they have lost Timmer and Theisen for the season and now have Behrens one of their new recruits out for some time leaving them with 9 players. I believe this is going to make Summit dog fight for who could win the conference. So it’s important that this group of players come together and have a good season chance for them to win the conference and play post season basketball.

I see everyone's comments are pretty reasonable after yesterday's loss at Wyoming. Disappointed but nobody jumping off the deep end based on 1 game sample size. Just for context, last year's Hawks lost its first game of the year to Northern State at home. It was a similar start of the year with a mix of veterans, transfers and newbies. Last night, we battled hard (thank you, Kacie) until the fourth quarter. The team will improve , but the bigs need to figure it out and quit rushing things under the hoop. 

• Upvote 2

I am not delusional, but I see lot of talent on the floor for us but it's so young needs playing time and that is what we're doing. Hurst will help but will not turn this around for us. This team is going to have hard preseason especially with quality of the teams they are playing. I thought i saw some improvement over the Wyoming game in our defense but still a long way to go before you can call it average to good defense. Tonight, we played very good opponent that will more than likely will be in NCAA tournament could reach round of 16.  This is squad put together of portal players with goal to win now and no building for the future. They can do that with NIL money and location recruit portal players.  I would guess shortly number of players being seen on floor will shrink and we will start putting players that will become the nucleus of this team on the floor. So far i am impressed with the freshmen on the team its big transition to go against experienced players like we saw tonight and not to mention our sophomores who have to play as veterans for players who have not played alot of minutes. I still think we can be in top of the Summit if they develop and gain confidence in themselves. The big thing is are they going to wear down as the season progresses its long hard season and young players are not prepared for that mentally or physically. I liked how they played hard to the end.

We anll need to remember we are very young.  Kacie is the only experience we have - at all.  I’m not counting Davis, as I have never understood that obsession - although she actually hit 2 from the outside last night, which was promising.  Last year, teams would give her 10 feet and dare her to shoot.  Unfortunately, she is just too small and a turnover waiting to happen.  We need to figure out a real point guard to lead this team.  The rest of the crew will continue to get better with experience.  We had real struggles playing good team defense - not knowing who was covering who after showing on screens and getting back out to cover the 3.  Again, that should improve over time with a young team.  Pemberton is the real deal.  She showed incredible skills and poise for her age and will unquestionably be starting and a key piece of the puzzle.  Kacie, Hurst, and Pemberton, once they get a chance to play together, will significantly improve our offensive production.  Mallory does, however, need to teach them how to create significantly more movement on offense.  I am hoping that is just youth and inexperience, although we fell in that trap last year at times with mostly seniors as well.  We didn’t see much of anything for outside shooters last night, but mostly because we didn’t move the ball well enough to get good open looks.  Beal is incredibly athletic but still needs to learn the system better.  She will be all right.  Vanderwal was not overly impressive last night, but you can’t teach 6’7”.  They need to figure out how to keep her in the paint defensively.  If she gets pulled out to the top of the key all of the time, she won’t make it back in.  If we keep her in the paint, she could change shots on the drive with her size.  Our other younger recruits just looked young.  There were flashes of skill that came out, but they are going to take time to develop. 

I agree with most of your analysis and this preseason conference schedule is going to be important in that they need to continue to improve and for them to gain confidence. If not we will go through similar season Malory had as interim coach. I believe that Kacie needs to be part of the offense but others need to work at becoming as important as is kacie is now. What I have seen lately there is to much standing watching Kacie to create some offense. This team has a lot athleticism with Kacie,  Hurst, Beal, Pemberton, and  Horne. Adding to this VanderWal and Oberg at post we have size depth to match up with most of  teams in the conference but now comes hard part of getting  this group to jell play as team and play up to their potential.  That is why I’m so optimistic on this group because I think this group are winners and they want to reach goal of playing and being winners.