SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

56 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

There’s an ugly trend happening across campus right now….. wasn’t too long ago that I was delusional enough to think the university could see a similar year of success as that 2016-17 year…. 

When you run the athletic department like a high school, this is the result.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

There’s an ugly trend happening across campus right now….. wasn’t too long ago that I was delusional enough to think the university could see a similar year of success as that 2016-17 year…. 

The thing with UND athletics is… they will never continue to build off of momentum.

• Upvote 1

One stat from last game tells you a lot about this team. They gave up 19 offensive rebounds. Ridiculous.  Rebounding on the defensive end comes down to two things....effort and want to. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I disagree with you that SDSu and USD are bigger than us 2-4 when we play Horne, Pemberton, and Beal at these positions but we are terribly young and inexperienced this year at these positions. We are also bigger at 5 position with Ibrahim and VanderWahl  when we play these girls but again very little experience. The problem has been Bernhard has played a lot of minutes with Hoskins playing out of position for her size because of her experience and also played a lot of minutes with Hurst in these positions but she been slow on defense and doesn’t want to play type offensive role we need inside. Pemberton is 6’1”, Horne is 6’2”, and Beal is 5’11 and is lanky and jumps real well we should match up with these teams but all of these players are young and not played huge minutes and this year only have Kacie and Hoskins with experience to play with them. SDSU players in these roles are juniors and sophomores with a lot of playing time. Also the one and five positions are players with a lot of experience. USD players in these positions are not as big but most of them have a lot of experience playing and they can shoot the three very well. Then they have Larkins very dynamic player that can score in many different ways. Getting back to we have one senior and no juniors and then we have three COVID extra year players not very balanced squad in experience.

We have had a lot of turnover in past few years and have not retained players we have recruited in several of the classes for various reasons. If had any fault with Bernhard she has not played these younger players in preseason before conference a lot of minutes because her having players making mistakes on the floor. This works when you have balanced roster for each of your classes but doesn’t work very well we have the roster we have now.  I also think Berhard weakness is that she doesn’t have built rappor with coaches yet in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa to recruiting local players and her recent assistants have been not local either. She has relied on coach Moe contacts but that’s back in Michigan. Hopefully coach Bledsoe will help in Minnesota. This being case we’re at now our hope the above players develop this season and we can compete in the coming years and more talent again next year.

• Upvote 2

The reason is our girls are young and they have not gone through couple of years being built up by strength and conditioning people. Second we have change in strength and conditioning coming and I wonder what effect it will have on various sports programs at UND. I believe Horne wasn’t here this summer and I think several other  were not either which has put us back in development. I believe both the men and women could use a coach on developing shooting with their players based on last several years  performances. I believe we have talented enough players we should be shooting better than we are but like playing defense there are techniques that should be taught to help improve performances. I believe person just working on this could improve us.

• Upvote 1

I watched the game it was a good win but Idaho is pretty much like us in record and we matched up well against them. Pemberton played and she makes such a difference she can score and rebound for us. She also quick and she moves well to get herself open with the ball or without the ball. VanderWahl had good game and she matched up well against there post. Ibrahim played only a few minutes but did make impact on defense. Hurst started game and made a pair of threes right away but then missed next  three and then late when she was driving for the basket she was fouled several times leading for 6-6 free throw shooting. Cottingham played a few minutes I think she can become a good guard she quick and plays defense. Horne played some but didn’t get many minutes Hoskins played 37 minutes leaving very few minutes for Horne. Beal only played 2 minutes.

The future of the team I believe lies in Pemberton, Horne, VanderWahl, Ibrahim, Cottingham, Beal, and maybe Hurst. I hope we can put a few wins together yet this season but we need to shoot better and run offense as team, if we’re going to do this. But last night was a step forward. 

Pemberton has really helped getting her back. Horne is starting to show her athleticism but has long way to go learning to play defense and getting rebound position. It still good step forward played much better defense but game was lost rebounding and missing layups.  The big difference playing together as team and getting shot in the paint. Also Oberg looked much better today should help going forward. VanderWahl is playing much better she helps so much in the middle. Beal is finding role but she needs to work on her offense by finding a place she can score. We will see what happens getting back to the Summit where overall teams are quicker than we saw in Big Sky.

Improvement yes, nobody has said anything about shooting but there was improvement in that they were shooting a better shot than they were month ago. Our 3-point shooting has improved some now with us shooting in high 30's instead a lot of 20's shooting. Yesterday game was one of poorest we had in few games, but we also played better defense. This team as young as we are improvements are going come in small increments and learning to play together. The problem is the season will be over by time they get to level to compete. Sad part is Kacie is having to finish her season here rebuilding and not competing to play for post season experience. The roster management has been biggest fault we had here at UND there seems to be no long-term plan on type of team they are building and how these players will fit together, and the players leave because they see where they do not fit into the team. I look at South Dakota State and I am constantly impressed with how each year they recruit players that fit into team they want to put on the floor and how quickly they develop as players into their system. I then look at us we have this collection of players that are good, but we are asking for them to play out of position because we lack that player, we need to fill that position. Last year was prime example when we had both Hoskins and Gordon playing 4 and 5 positions way undersized and nobody that was ready to play these positions. This year we now have nobody to fill the 2 and 3 positions with experience besides Kacie. I could go on about this but I have come to realization we have young coach that was not prepared for this because inexperience in doing this so she is learning this on the go and may take her couple cycles of players and learning how to recruit to play type of game she wants to play. I look at the programs that are successful their coaches have been there 10 plus seasons up to 20 years. 

On 1/6/2024 at 2:43 PM, CMSioux said:

This team has no clue about defensive hustle and rebounding.

Simple game.

Take care of the ball when you have it.

Get the ball when you don't.

75% of defensive rebounds is a low end goal to be a good college team. Technique and effort and working as a team. Very little skill required.

58% yesterday and 20 turnovers. That is 29 free possessions given away.

50% against St. Thomas.

• Upvote 1