SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

18 hours ago, DL Sioux said:

It seems to me this team needs to play without Kacie on the floor. They rely too much on her, for good reason but for growth they need to find their own identity. 

Couldn't agree more. Kacie has a tendency to play hero ball. As we've seen, that doesn't even work in the NBA--see Ant earlier this season. Mal has to find a way to get Kacie to spread the offense around more. That's the only way the other girls are going to get better. Then opposing teams will need to prepare for more than one player and Kacie will be more effective too. I feel like early on last year it was sort of the Kacie show and the rest of the team got more involved as the season went along. Hoping something similar happens this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Probably should have. He at least recruited local players.  He got miss North dakota and Minnesota basketball here.  Other then KC I believe the rest of the team now is all Mal recruits 

He also ran the program into the ground. After Roebuck's players graduated, everything went down the toilet. You want to go back to that?

33 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

He also ran the program into the ground. After Roebuck's players graduated, everything went down the toilet. You want to go back to that?

I wasn't here for the Roebuck division 2 glory years. He never brought them into any the division 1 era.  Brewster won a big sky title I believe ?  No I don't want to bring him back. My point was we aren't any better now and NOW we have NO local girls playing and we only recruit Detroit and Canada.   

2 hours ago, Big Lubowski said:

Couldn't agree more. Kacie has a tendency to play hero ball. As we've seen, that doesn't even work in the NBA--see Ant earlier this season. Mal has to find a way to get Kacie to spread the offense around more. That's the only way the other girls are going to get better. Then opposing teams will need to prepare for more than one player and Kacie will be more effective too. I feel like early on last year it was sort of the Kacie show and the rest of the team got more involved as the season went along. Hoping something similar happens this year. 

Got some good minutes today w/o Kacie. Was some bright spots with the younger girls. Unfortunately, just flashes, not sustained. Hopefully Kacie’s ankle isn’t too bad!

What I watched today had no assemblence of any organized offense we come down shoot a three or we drive the ball create maybe one on one but usually desperate shot thrown up. Also I don’ t understand having Hurst at top of key instead of getting her worked down low and giving her screen where she put up with position and probably get fouled.same thing with VanderWahl  but more of shot over defender in the paint. I don’t know if the plan is to run and gun but  I don’t think it will work.

i wonder if after this weekend if Bernhard goes back reevaluates what they are doing especially now with Kacie down and develops offense  more of team concept rains in everyone  to more of team concept. I was optimistic on this group but I think tim3 is running out  to develop into what I thought they could be. This could be repeat of Mallory’s first year when we had a lot of talent but never did gell as a team. I guess time will tell but time is running short for this years team.

Eastern Michigan game had few minutes or flashes of playing team offense but again relying to much on standing shooting the three ball. Even Midco announcer and former coach Val Sussex even wondered why didn’t they move Hurst into lower post in the fourth quarter. Hurst has talent to be really big factor if she uses her ability inside and be facilitator for others on team to create scoring. VanderWahl is improving and if her Hurst could work together in the post Und could become very good in the middle. Pemberton I believe is going to be special player and I only see her continuing to improve. My thoughts is Bernhard is going to have to settle on 7 or 8 player rotation soon and but this may cause some ego’s getting Bruced. I just don’t see right now where we compete with top four or five teams of the summit as we are playing right now I think we will be loosing games to these teams by 10 to 20 points. I still think this group can become good team but they have to play team basketball forget worrying about there stats. I guess bottom line is can this team mature and play together this year or are we going to struggle learning this in the end look at rebuilding year.

If that is case if it’s determint to what you trying to do as team and your not playing up to your potential then you have tough choice ahead of you as coach. Yes, she maybe offensive threat but doesn’t put into position where you can win no matter how much talent she has you as coach are paid to win. Then you need to explain this as coach and I believe she has to understand this may affect her playing time because you have to be control of the team and she is not dominant type of player that can be dominant all over the court which is my opinion. She is not like SDSU player of like Mya Selland or Chloe Lamb of South Dakota that were complete players on both sides of the ball. I hope your wrong on this because this team needs to get these players play rolls that are best suited to their talents.

It is there day where they bring in grade school students and the place is full of fans. I don’t know how this works for these grade school students on if it’s free for them but I think it’s good way promoting your basketball teams and getting kids wanting to come ro games .

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I don't get these noon weekday games ... you don't lose enough money already so you make it even harder at the gate? 

They are packed in there with grade school kids. und did this a few years ago with a noon game.  I was there and it was probably the loudest I ever heard for a women's game 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

It is there day where they bring in grade school students and the place is full of fans. I don’t know how this works for these grade school students on if it’s free for them but I think it’s good way promoting your basketball teams and getting kids wanting to come ro games .

To your point, it looked like E. Illinois had a lot of grade-schoolers in the crowd.

If this team doesn’t get to where they work and take a good shot instead of settling for 3 it’s going to be long season. Plus they need to  play defense every time down the court. I will even go out saying Friday game against Mayville is going to be hard win if Mayville plays like it did against NDSU we could find ourselves down like today. On Bernhard you could tell frustration she is having with this team but our freshman are making mistakes but they are playing hard and Hurst just took herself out this game with her frustration and she is just not playing very good defense not combination you need to have out your experienced player. I think Bernhard is going to have some tough decisions coming ahead with this team on player roles for this team.