SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

2 minutes ago, the green team said:

Fair point. Appreciate the clarification. 
My question is, after last season.  What would you have done differently as AD, overseeing the WBB program?  Let’s worry about- this season- in about a weeks time, but give me the 10 cent tour of what would have been different if you had been doing the evaluation after last season.  Do you give the coach some leash knowing they have some young pieces on this roster, because every coach is going to be optimistic about what they have coming back & what they have returning.  Or Do you just bring out the axe, even though the team had what I would say is an ok, although not great season, last year.  Acceptable but not ideal(especially down the stretch) is how would look at last season. But perhaps us having the season that the team did last year, has hamstrung the program, because it caused too many to look at things as glass half full, which certainly has been anything but the case, this season.

Great questions. I would want to know what the plan is to make the program better.  What is the plan for recruiting and why they are doing what they are doing. This year is now further clarification that their recruiting plan is not working. Accountability.  Expectations. 

Does Chaves expect them to be a Top 3 team in the Summit League every year and if so has that been conveyed to the coach?  Did she come back and relay what she needs to make that happen (if she doesn't have it now). 

Their recruiting plan is abnormal for a program in this area.  They have purposely chosen to recruit distance players at the same rate they recruit local players. Do SDSU and USD do that?  Does NDSU?  There are five players from Canada on this team and one of them appears good (Pemberton).  If they are going distance, why are they not of similar caliber and body type to the top teams?  

In-game coaching is probably a hard discussion.  But development could be a topic.  Are the pieces in place for off-season development?  

If a team is losing by 50+ at any time in the conference season there is an issue.  Period.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Great questions. I would want to know what the plan is to make the program better.  What is the plan for recruiting and why they are doing what they are doing. This year is now further clarification that their recruiting plan is not working. Accountability.  Expectations. 

Does Chaves expect them to be a Top 3 team in the Summit League every year and if so has that been conveyed to the coach?  Did she come back and relay what she needs to make that happen (if she doesn't have it now). 

Their recruiting plan is abnormal for a program in this area.  They have purposely chosen to recruit distance players at the same rate they recruit local players. Do SDSU and USD do that?  Does NDSU?  There are five players from Canada on this team and one of them appears good (Pemberton).  If they are going distance, why are they not of similar caliber and body type to the top teams?  

In-game coaching is probably a hard discussion.  But development could be a topic.  Are the pieces in place for off-season development?  

If a team is losing by 50+ at any time in the conference season there is an issue.  Period.  

Don’t know what Chaves thinks but he sure wanted in the pictures during the post game hockey celebration.

most I have seen of him.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to come across like I have anything against Mallory.  She seems like a great lady, a great alum.  It's just frustrating to see it play out like this and know what they are doing isn't going to work. Football has the same issues with roster going up against the SU's. Hockey has years where coming in most can tell they aren't going to be as good.  Scoring will be a problem etc.  But then they fix it quickly.  

• Like 1

I would like to say the Canadian girls we have recruited if would look where we are located, we should be recruiting into Canada we have done it for years for hockey and football. Ibrahim is from Winnipeg only little over 100 miles from us. Horne is from Regina Saskatchewan about 450 miles, Vanderwal is Strathroy, Ontario which is quite distant, but Ontario is big Province next to us, Owen is from Quebec, but she was playing in Nebraska, and Finally Pemberton who is from British Columbia but is type of player I believe we should be recruiting she 6 feet and quick she was playing right away as freshman. The fact is North Dakota only has so many division athletes and number of top players in the state have been recruited to larger schools from out of state in recent years.  Even NDSU has only one girl on the team from North Dakota she from West Fargo a hometown girl.  The real stars on their team are from Iowa and Illinois both long distance from Fargo. Number of their players are from Twin Cities but here again this has been hot spot for recruiting number of girls are going all over the nation as well as the Summit recruits Minnesota hard. NDSU has girls from Australia and Oregon, so they are recruiting big area also to find talent.  The premise that it should be large number of girls from North Dakota is not feasible with size of our state and how big division I schools now recruit even in North Dakota especially when most of players that go division I come from AAU traveling teams that coaches follow religiously to find talent. The biggest thing that will help recruiting and getting some more local talent we need to start winning that attracts good players and also gives leg up because everyone wants to be winning program. The recruits from Canada are for the most part is the type of players we should be looking.  They fit into modern plan they are either tall or quick or both, but they did start behind because of not getting here sooner for practice last summer. I believe it would be great to be able to recruit locally to fill our needs but that is not possible if we are going to be competitive in Division I basketball.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I would like to say the Canadian girls we have recruited if would look where we are located, we should be recruiting into Canada we have done it for years for hockey and football. Ibrahim is from Winnipeg only little over 100 miles from us. Horne is from Regina Saskatchewan about 450 miles, Vanderwal is Strathroy, Ontario which is quite distant, but Ontario is big Province next to us, Owen is from Quebec, but she was playing in Nebraska, and Finally Pemberton who is from British Columbia but is type of player I believe we should be recruiting she 6 feet and quick she was playing right away as freshman. The fact is North Dakota only has so many division athletes and number of top players in the state have been recruited to larger schools from out of state in recent years.  Even NDSU has only one girl on the team from North Dakota she from West Fargo a hometown girl.  The real stars on their team are from Iowa and Illinois both long distance from Fargo. Number of their players are from Twin Cities but here again this has been hot spot for recruiting number of girls are going all over the nation as well as the Summit recruits Minnesota hard. NDSU has girls from Australia and Oregon, so they are recruiting big area also to find talent.  The premise that it should be large number of girls from North Dakota is not feasible with size of our state and how big division I schools now recruit even in North Dakota especially when most of players that go division I come from AAU traveling teams that coaches follow religiously to find talent. The biggest thing that will help recruiting and getting some more local talent we need to start winning that attracts good players and also gives leg up because everyone wants to be winning program. The recruits from Canada are for the most part is the type of players we should be looking.  They fit into modern plan they are either tall or quick or both, but they did start behind because of not getting here sooner for practice last summer. I believe it would be great to be able to recruit locally to fill our needs but that is not possible if we are going to be competitive in Division I basketball.  

Literally nobody said they should be recruiting only North Dakota girls. This roster is a mess no matter how hard you try to spin it.  Minnesota, South Dakota, Iowa, Wisconsin.  All recruited by our other teams, why not WBB?

We haven't even started the conversation on how to build a culture - a locker room.  They sure don't seem to have that whatsoever with this crew as shown by their play.

• Upvote 1

Yes, roster is mess because we had team with 6 freshmen with most not reporting until school started, then we had sophomore class with that we were putting all are hope in they were ready to play and compete this year. This has not been the case there are many reasons and here are my observations.  Then looking at that class only one that had any extensive minutes last year was Hurst who looked like she could score. This was pretty much right but with cost of her not even close to be ready to play defense and most of time in foul trouble. Beal was next figured into getting significant minutes but looking back she only played 9 minutes a game year before, and she had struggled to find her offense but has tremendous amount of athletic ability but hasn't master it yet. I believe she needed to be put in position where she could succeed on the offensive side of her game. This hasn't happened so she again only got limited playing time. Vanderwall is next she has shown flashes good play but if she matched up on mobile center she is gets beat on defense. Again, another player we had no offense that could put her position to succeed with her talents. The defensive side of the game if we played zone like Mayville state used where they had their center play the middle and others played matchup zone, I believe Vanderwal could played and been effective enough to stayed out there and would have been rebounding presence. Aumer expected to play but hardly got any playing time last year only seeing 3 minutes a game last year but expected to produce from get go. She started slow but did play better and did get starts toward the end because of her hard work. Jardine not even close to contributing. Then we have no Juniors last one transferred late in the summer. Then we have what I call the Senior class Kacie being expected to carry the load and did very good job, but it would have been much better season if she could have more support around her. Hoskins again playing out position held her own but i think she was worn down both physically and mentally from this season. Davis brought in play defense but had to play additional minutes becoming liability on the offensive side of the ball. Finally, we have Oberg who I believe was hurt for the first half of the season but did play role she was brought in last half of the season. Mallory should have seen this coming after we finished last season and should have been looking into the portal to find at least two players to go with Kacie that could have started right away for us. We would have had two less freshmen recruits but starting 5 could built around develop some of these players. This is why we are now losing games by 40 to 50 points and have team now that is no better shape if not in worse shape to start next season. I don't see how we fix this unless we have more roster turn over again coming after the season. But what I am afraid of happening we will lose the players we could build around in the future. I am disappointed in Mallory I thought she was more on top of the program but this from my point of view she was not ready to coach at this level but i believe she could become good coach, but it may not be this go around.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Literally nobody said they should be recruiting only North Dakota girls. This roster is a mess no matter how hard you try to spin it.  Minnesota, South Dakota, Iowa, Wisconsin.  All recruited by our other teams, why not WBB?

There are 3 MN players and one WI player on the team, so it isn't like they aren't recruiting those areas. Also, the staff didn't have much for connections in those areas which is fairly important. However with Bledsoe being added, I would expect to see that start to changing even a bit more.

How about just recruit better overall BB players who can also shoot. The overall BB IQ is pretty low. The middle ground AAU ballers generally are me first, no D, non shooters with low IQ.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just watched Mary vs UMD in NSIC tournament. Zander was clutch all game and down the stretch in a 83-75 win. 3s, fadeaways and FTs. Had over 20 points.

As @gfhockey would point out..."We didn't need her".

Why would we need Miss basketball North Dakota when we have 4 star recruits from Michigan on our team.  I have to believe Zander isnt here because of coaching.   That Mary team would run us off the court.  I dont care where the recruits come from either.  I am just saying if we are going to take average to below average players from Michigan, might as well take a chance on some local girls.  NDSU just signed another star from Wyzetta.   

29 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Why would we need Miss basketball North Dakota when we have 4 star recruits from Michigan on our team.  I have to believe Zander isnt here because of coaching.   That Mary team would run us off the court.  I dont care where the recruits come from either.  I am just saying if we are going to take average to below average players from Michigan, might as well take a chance on some local girls.  NDSU just signed another star from Wyzetta.   

I thought I read Zander left for personal reasons. We have signed a couple of ND high school players, just hoping they are DI caliber. 

Reality is after losing Kacie there is not a lot of d1 talent on team. They need to get rid of a lot of the players there now and bring in a bunch of new players. Otherwise next year could be longer than this year. 

13 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I see that Darcy Jardine is in the transfer portal and is transferring to Western Colorado University a division II school. This is where Erica Lane is also now playing at.

She is on two current rosters at same time  :D

I assume UND hasn't updated her on their website, and she wouldn't be on Western Colorado roster till next year, she is recruit for the coming year. This will give UND another roster spot and we will see how Mallory fills this spot.

I was just thinking about the above comment that Jardine has transferred since December but it hasn’t shown up until I mentioned she had transferred. It shows that athletic department is not paying attention to details it small detail but it’s detail and I wonder if this happens in other areas and if that is case if this happening more wide scale than we can see is this part of the problem. In business little details often affects the bottom line for your business. This starts at the top and if your manager in business you need information to be current and correct to determine how each of things are performing. The point I am trying to make it reflects on the AD and somewhat on the coach. It also reflects on media if they knew of   the information why wasn’t there question on this and this something we can see as the public how many other things are buried on the program. I think this is also needed to force Athletic Department and coaches to at least let people know we are following what’s happening.and making them what’s being done or why they are where they are. I believe questioning of coaches and AD keeps them to justifying and explaining what they are doing and it probability makes them question themselves and work harder to prove they are right. I can of many reasons this is not happening at least to the public and many of you may know more but I think it’s wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Down by 18 late in the third qtr vs oru at the summit tournament.

season ends today? Any chance in a secondary tournament? Doubt it

Yes.....and please no

• Upvote 1