SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

The reality is the portal situation actually is sort of bleak. Of course, there is high end talent, but how many? Four goalies that you would feel good about to varying degrees if you needed a starter. Five D-man that would fit the criteria of being considered "1st pair" on a playoff team. UND got one of the goalies and one of those defensemen yesterday. That's huge! Not playing with house money yet. My question is for where they are at, do they need another one of their portal D to be one of those 5 "1st pair" D-man? Tall task, but cannot overstate it enough how big yesterday was for next year's team. 

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It's like I said when they were playing Goldy, it's okay if they lose.  They don't deserve nice things.  Spent a week at a conference at the Herb this summer and the people that work at the rink reminded us to lock our car doors every day because of all the crack heads walking around....

Beautiful Stearns County....

St Cloud has certainly turned from “The Granite City” into a big city cesspool, just like Minneapolis and St Paul.  You can find the political common denominator if you look hard enough.  

Back on topic, yea, the portal rules stink, but you either play the game or fold and leave the card table 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, brianvf said:

He'll have his work cut out for him for sure.
He's no longer the Big Fish in the little WCHA pond...he's now the Little Fish in the big B10 pond...at a school that could care less about hockey.
It'll be interesting to see how long he takes to turn UW into a contender again.

Now that Barry Alvarez is no longer the AD, I doubt it will take him long to turn that program around. They see the success that Penn State, Minnesota and Michigan have going on in hockey and they won't stand for it.

4 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Now that Barry Alvarez is no longer the AD, I doubt it will take him long to turn that program around. They see the success that Penn State, Minnesota and Michigan have going on in hockey and they won't stand for it.

I hope he succeeds quickly.  A strong Badger hockey program  is a good thing.   That was a FUN rivalry.   And as a long term WI resident, I can say that the big majority of Wisconsin hockey fans felt that way about it too.   

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, AJS said:

The reality is the portal situation actually is sort of bleak. Of course, there is high end talent, but how many? Four goalies that you would feel good about to varying degrees if you needed a starter. Five D-man that would fit the criteria of being considered "1st pair" on a playoff team. UND got one of the goalies and one of those defensemen yesterday. That's huge! Not playing with house money yet. My question is for where they are at, do they need another one of their portal D to be one of those 5 "1st pair" D-man? Tall task, but cannot overstate it enough how big yesterday was for next year's team. 

It’s embarrassing that I have to write this, but we absolutely need two more good D. One solid old dman and someone else that, at the very least, can plug and play. The frosh D are all good (maybe Benoit sits a bit) but they will struggle a bit. Injuries happen too.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, AJS said:

Reading one of Schlossman's articles, he put it that they'll need 1 for sure, possibly 2 depending on Albrecht. 

I’m fine with the Berg kid taking a top 6 role, but the other should be a depth add that has multiple years of eligibility. I don’t want a 25 yr old taking a spot of a current/younger player. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m fine with the Berg kid taking a top 6 role, but the other should be a depth add that has multiple years of eligibility. I don’t want a 25 yr old taking a spot of a current/younger player. 

Here's where I'm at. There are currently two definite depth guys (5, 11) and one more potential (13). My hope would be Berg / another as talented as you can get player (over depth) if 13 goes. My reasoning is you have to handcuff Berry with as few depth guys as possible. I completely agree with your thought process if I trusted Berry to play talent and have the depth guys be the 13, 14, 15 Forwards. I don't trust that though. 

7 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Are we really expecting Berg to commit or something? 

Unless you know differently, it's one of those situations that just make sense. Also, I do put stock in names that Scholossman floats out there. Let's call them educated guesses. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

It’s embarrassing that I have to write this, but we absolutely need two more good D. One solid old dman and someone else that, at the very least, can plug and play. The frosh D are all good (maybe Benoit sits a bit) but they will struggle a bit. Injuries happen too.

I may be crazy, but I think Benoit is the guy that's going to surprise next year (the way Frisch did as a Freshman). Every time I watch him, he's just so steady. Makes great outlet passes, plays simple but hard.  I could be way off, but I think his game translates well and could end up playing more than everyone thinks he's going to.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SpudsSioux said:

I may be crazy, but I think Benoit is the guy that's going to surprise next year (the way Frisch did as a Freshman). Every time I watch him, he's just so steady. Makes great outlet passes, plays simple but hard.  I could be way off, but I think his game translates well and could end up playing more than everyone thinks he's going to.

That’s what we need. Play sound defense and get the puck up ice quickly. Probably play opposite strathmann or livanavage?

50 minutes ago, SpudsSioux said:

Def could be. Strathmann has to play…Livanavage is really offensive but tiny. Probably need him too.  Wiebe needs to play. I actually got Benoit and Komzak confused. In theory komzack would sit before Benoit.

Note on Benoit. Looking at his +/- is concerning, but definitely doesn't tell the whole story. I thought there had to be a data error somewhere as I can only count a couple times I've seen him on the ice when scored on for Waterloo. I realize it's the carry-over from when he was the top minute guy on a bad Omaha team. It's definitely more in line with what the Lancers +/- look like. I'd be interested to see what his is since joining Waterloo.

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Def could be. Strathmann has to play…Livanavage is really offensive but tiny. Probably need him too.  Wiebe needs to play. I actually got Benoit and Komzak confused. In theory komzack would sit before Benoit.

Elite Prospects has him listed at 5'10", 174 lbs. 

Pretty average, no?

2 minutes ago, SpudsSioux said:

Note on Benoit. Looking at his +/- is concerning, but definitely doesn't tell the whole story. I thought there had to be a data error somewhere as I can only count a couple times I've seen him on the ice when scored on for Waterloo. I realize it's the carry-over from when he was the top minute guy on a bad Omaha team. It's definitely more in line with what the Lancers +/- look like. I'd be interested to see what his is since joining Waterloo.

He is a +1 in 14 games with 1 goals and 5 assists.