SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 hour ago, burd said:

One small upside is that the young forwards seemed to improve their defensive play later in the season.  OTOH, it's hard to develop an aggressive, attacking offense if you lack confidence in the D and goalie behind you.  

Hopefully, Jake can get some pickpocketing lessons from his cousin this summer. 

Interesting take, I disagree. For as may "grade A" chances this year 5x5, that were not converted by the forwards, leaves to wonder why? I highly doubt it is because they were worried about the backend/ goalie. Opportunities were certainly there, not a very good conversation rate.

I would also be intrigued on how many 5x5 and "big/crucial" goals were scored by the d-core over the past two years. I can think of several games/instances where that was the case. 

Although the exact circumstances probably vary widely, to me there are three general flows in the portal.

1. Fifth line forwards or fourth pair defenders from big schools who want to play more.  They generally go to "lesser" schools.  Think Blaisdell to UNH.

2. First or second year studs at lesser schools, who became more than their recruiting profile suggested, who want the big school contending experience.

3. Guys near the end of their eligibility, sometimes from lesser schools, but not necessarily, who want to contend or just want a change of pace.  Sidorski and Farmer both fit that profile.  

I don't really think we want much of (1) above.  Budy might kind of fit that.  (2) is promising, but comes at the expense of your pipeline.  Could be good if you have a hole in the pipeline.  (3) seems to be where we're shopping.

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Never seen either personally, but seems like talent wise, these two aren't in the same category. If you're thinking Klee is going to be playing Top 4 minutes, we're in trouble. The issue really, is you need a legitimate high end #1 pair guy (Pyke would be) and another Top 4 guy. I believe it was last year, the US Junior team had almost every D-man was LH. Realistically, guys are going to have to play on their off hand next year. 

A lot of next season is riding on the portal.

I'll beat the dead horse one last time and then drop the stick. From a roster construction/recruiting/coaching/development standpoint, it is unacceptable for UND to have, in essence, two entire classes without a single contributing defenseman. And a third class of defenseman (i.e., Kleven and Moore), one of whom is gone and the other...well, many fans wish he was gone. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jk said:

Although the exact circumstances probably vary widely, to me there are three general flows in the portal.

1. Fifth line forwards or fourth pair defenders from big schools who want to play more.  They generally go to "lesser" schools.  Think Blaisdell to UNH.

2. First or second year studs at lesser schools, who became more than their recruiting profile suggested, who want the big school contending experience.

3. Guys near the end of their eligibility, sometimes from lesser schools, but not necessarily, who want to contend or just want a change of pace.  Sidorski and Farmer both fit that profile.  

I don't really think we want much of (1) above.  Budy might kind of fit that.  (2) is promising, but comes at the expense of your pipeline.  Could be good if you have a hole in the pipeline.  (3) seems to be where we're shopping.

Or this......... coaching staff tells players with eligibility left, they will have a reduced/no role moving forward, even after they contribute/significantly contribute  in some way shape or form, over their course stay. Case in point, let's look at the players who have left/in portal currently,  the UND program with eligibility  since '21-'22 Penrose team:

Calder/Ferner- both came with 2 season remaining, both told they really don't fit into the following season's plans. Doubt they had even thought about not coming back. Hence why they did not participate in Sr. night festivities at end of '22.  Guessing Budy was also told he was not going to fit into plans moving forward.

Bast/Constantini/Johnson: all had times of very timely/solid contributions in '21-'22 and all showed promise, then boom, off to the portal because of who knows what happened.  Brining in Farmer/Sidorski did nothing to make this years team better, keeping Sedin/Hain probably hurt development chances for some up front as well. DeRidder not as they thought, played better down stretch, but I would say he was a disappointment as well.  Team flirted with .500 hockey most of year and missed NCAA tourney, so proof is right there that the changes HC decided on  didn't work out.  This all after a pre seaon ranking of #4 in the country. So question is, what is happening to the development of these players? Is coaching staff that far off the mark on recruiting and now portal is something they lean on moving forward?

Hellsten also had moments where he contributed in '21-'22 and had some opportunities in '22-'23 to take control but did not.

Point being, 5 players with eligibility left who were part of a championship lock room, all gone from the program. Did the changes after last year this have an effect on '22-'23 season and the locker room? Can't imagine these guys were bad eggs, or they would not have been brought in, in the first place. 

UND hockey has hit some very interesting times. 

45 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

Calder/Ferner- both came with 2 season remaining, both told they really don't fit into the following season's plans. Doubt they had even thought about not coming back. Hence why they did not participate in Sr. night festivities at end of '22.  Guessing Budy was also told he was not going to fit into plans moving forward.

Think for a minute, why did Calder played for three teams in three years? Do think maybe just maybe there was a reason he wasn't asked to come back to UND? Why wasn't Budy asked to come back. Maybe he wasn't a good fit. I see a lot of pointing of fingers at the coaching staff, but maybe some of it is players. Why were certain players asked to come back, Hain and Senden. Maybe they were good teammates. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Goon said:

Think for a minute, why did Calder played for three teams in three years? Do think maybe just maybe there was a reason he wasn't asked to come back to UND? Why wasn't Budy asked to come back. Maybe he wasn't a good fit. I see a lot of pointing of fingers at the coaching staff, but maybe some of it is players. Why were certain players asked to come back, Hain and Senden. Maybe they were good teammates. 

But in the same token, how often have the coaches said that they have to do their due diligence and make sure the guys they get in the portal fit?   Apparently they didn't follow their plan.  I also don't think it is fair to insinuate that Calder and Budy weren't good teammates without knowing what is going on in the locker room.  We did win a championship with them, so maybe it is this year where there were personality conflicts. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BusinessSoot said:

Interesting take, I disagree. For as may "grade A" chances this year 5x5, that were not converted by the forwards, leaves to wonder why? I highly doubt it is because they were worried about the backend/ goalie. Opportunities were certainly there, not a very good conversation rate.

I would also be intrigued on how many 5x5 and "big/crucial" goals were scored by the d-core over the past two years. I can think of several games/instances where that was the case. 

Silly me; I thought it would be safe to conclude that forwards would feel free to be more aggressive on the forecheck and deep penetration if they had elite goaltender and D behind them.   No data or real hockey theory to back it up though, other than the fact that I'm never wrong.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Cameron Berg from Oma-FRAUD is intriguing.

With his numbers, he would have been 4th in scoring on UND.  It would be nice though if they could get a big two-way center with faceoff ability that they can count on in the clutch. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

The players didn't suddenly show up on campus uninvited. And surely staff did their homework on each player. Did coaching staff hope for a one year "fix" with Calder/Ferner for example, then team had success, coaches thought they could bring in "better players for a better end goal in mind " and that led to their departure because the "plans changed"? If that is the case, they (staff) got adverse results. I have said for a long time, the decision to bring in players last year from portal, and from what I heard last summer, without any conversation as a group prior with the  returning players. Hence why Calder entered portal so late. He was told plans changed 3 weeks after UND's season ended. That sent a wrong vibe to a lot of guys in that locker room. And now with Bast/Constanini/Johnson leaving, something is not adding up.  

My two cents.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/daily-skate-what-are-unds-needs-in-the-transfer-portal

1. A starting goaltender: The only goalie left on the roster is Kaleb Johnson. The Fighting Hawks could bring in recruit Hobie Hedquist, but they're going to want to get a veteran starter out of the transfer portal.

Right now, there are six goaltenders in the portal who were primary starters in 2022-23: UMass sophomore Luke Pavicich (.920 save percentage), Clarkson junior Ethan Haider, a Nashville Predators draft pick (.906), Miami junior Ludvig Persson (.891), Wisconsin senior Jared Moe, a Winnipeg Jets draft pick (.898), Canisius senior Jacob Barczewski (.918) and Sacred Heart senior Luke Lush (.899).

Colorado College senior Matt Vernon (.905) previously was a starter until freshman Kaidan Mbereko took over the job this season.

2. At least two defensemen: The Fighting Hawks have lost seven of their eight defensemen from the 2022-23 roster. While they have a lot of recruits in junior hockey who are ready to come to college, UND needs to complement them with veterans who can play big minutes and against opponents' top players.

The biggest minute-eaters in the portal right now are Dartmouth captain Tanner Palocsik (27:31 per game), Air Force senior Brandon Koch (24:46), Boston College captain Marshall Warren (23:58) and Alaska captain Garrett Pyke (23:20).

3. Possibly a center: UND may have had room for a winger out of the transfer portal if Gaber or Caulfield turned pro. But both are back and the Fighting Hawks are loaded at wing for next season.

UND doesn't necessarily need a forward out of the portal, but if the coaching staff sees a potential top-six center jump in, that could be a fit.

The most intriguing centers in the portal right now are Omaha's Cameron Berg (New York Islanders draft pick), Cornell's Jack Malone (Vancouver Canucks draft pick) and Northeastern's Jack Hughes (Los Angeles Kings draft pick). Berg, notably, is from West Fargo.

3 hours ago, Kevin G said:

I'll beat the dead horse one last time and then drop the stick. From a roster construction/recruiting/coaching/development standpoint, it is unacceptable for UND to have, in essence, two entire classes without a single contributing defenseman. And a third class of defenseman (i.e., Kleven and Moore), one of whom is gone and the other...well, many fans wish he was gone. 

I thought there was another D-man in that same class, but his name escapes me.  Big, tall, rangy kid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

With his numbers, he would have been 4th in scoring on UND.  It would be nice though if they could get a big two-way center with faceoff ability that they can count on in the clutch. 

Anyone with local ties is worth a look. Also, Omaha is essentially riding our coattails, let's turn them into a farm team. Tychonick and Tomek were sent down; Morelli, Ward, Archibald and Zombo all could have been "called up" under current rules.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goon said:

Budy just wasn't very good.  I never understood what coaches saw in him. 

5 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Cameron Berg from Oma-FRAUD is intriguing.

Agreed completely.  He would be a very good get.  From Fargo, so maybe he wants to move closer to home.
Good numbers, and was only a soph this year, so would still have a couple years of eligibility remaining.

Depending on what plans Berry has for Albrecht/Montgomery, Berg would be able to be plugged right into the lineup IMO.

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Agreed completely.  He would be a very good get.  From Fargo, so maybe he wants to move closer to home.
Good numbers, and was only a soph this year, so would still have a couple years of eligibility remaining.

Depending on what plans Berry has for Albrecht/Montgomery, Berg would be able to be plugged right into the lineup IMO.

Yep, right between James and Blake.