SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Mavs....and Stu!

Wilbur

59 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What is so controversial about a coach making lineup decisions? I think Strinden should be in the lineup, but maybe he's knicked up? Maybe he, heaven forbid, thinks other players need/deserve more ice time or they are better than other guys in the lineup. We're talking 4th liners and 6/7th defensemen. Is it necessary for Schloss to dig into this? Sometimes there are no behind-the-scene stories. 

Lather, rinse, repeat conversation about Johnson. 

Nothing to see here , never mind the man behind the curtain. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What is so controversial about a coach making lineup decisions? I think Strinden should be in the lineup, but maybe he's knicked up? Maybe he, heaven forbid, thinks other players need/deserve more ice time or they are better than other guys in the lineup. We're talking 4th liners and 6/7th defensemen. Is it necessary for Schloss to dig into this? Sometimes there are no behind-the-scene stories. 

Lather, rinse, repeat conversation about Johnson. 

Agreed johnson is gone, nothing more to really discuss. I’m guessing they’re trying not to make it a distraction. I mean, they can’t trade him. 

• Like 1

So they bring him in over Morrow because Morrow has baggage and this kid plays 36 games over two years and the rumor is locker room issues , hell we could have had Morrow with issues if that’s the case.  I know this is a dead horse but it looks like this is Berrys culture. Two other examples come to mind Chris Wilkie and Jonny tychonick 

An observant person could say that Berry's "culture" includes winning 3 consecutive Conference Championships (plus a National Title a few short years ago).  Sure, many rabid fans want the National Championship, who doesn't, but the goal tending this season has been a big reason for the lack of wins.  Expectations of the coaching staff probably exceed that of the fan base. At least the coaches have the credibility in their repertoires, rather than the lack of it in many of the complainers I have read on this board.

Some of the comments make me laugh at their simplistic absurdity.  Everyone who thinks they have the real knowledge to make a coaching decision should first read Teddy Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena."  It pretty much sums up how I feel about this situation.

• Upvote 2

The final regular season series is already upon us. Hope the team can get two wins this weekend and end the regular season on a high note. I must say this year has gone by pretty fast and has been pretty hard to watch at times. Let's hope with the ending of the regular season we can start fresh with the playoffs. Time for the boys to put the past in the past and move forward in the playoffs and gt to MSP to start.

2 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

I can assure you its not a locker room issue. The coaches decided that he wasn’t good enough. They choose to go with veteran players. Rumor has it that 6 already has multiple offers from several top 10 programs for next season. 

So if he’s not any good why the offers from top ten schools.  Maybe the coaching staff needs to change how the evaluate talent IMHO. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So if he’s not any good why the offers from top ten schools.  Maybe the coaching staff needs to change how the evaluate talent IMHO. 

Oh maybe he's just simply not playing/practicing as well as the top 6 dmen so he hasn't been able to crack the lineup.
Which means he may run into the same issue at a "top ten school" if he transfers.

12 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

I can assure you its not a locker room issue. The coaches decided that he wasn’t good enough. They choose to go with veteran players. Rumor has it that 6 already has multiple offers from several top 10 programs for next season. 

He should have played the last two seasons in the USHL. He turns it over too often and is easily outmuscled in puck battles. Sometimes getting drafted is a curse because family and family advisors think they need to rush development and get kid to next level to get to their goal of playing pro hockey quicker and many times this ends up stalling their development instead of expediting it....and NHL teams swing and miss on draft picks quite a bit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I for one don't miss him. He is a bit of an attitude problem.

Agreed.
And it's not like he wasn't given a chance to play here at UND.  He played in 28 games as a freshman and 24 as a sophomore.  He then transferred to UNO and played in 23 games the first year and 24 the next.  He actually played in less games in his first two seasons at UNO than in his first two seasons at UND.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed johnson is gone, nothing more to really discuss. I’m guessing they’re trying not to make it a distraction. I mean, they can’t trade him. 

Goodness, the obsession with Scott Morrow. For a group of people who hate how their team's defense plays, they want a guy who doesn't play defense from the blue line, like... AT ALL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Nothing to see here , never mind the man behind the curtain. 

Didn't say that "nothing" is wrong. Didn't even imply that. I'm only saying that there could be more to the story AND AGAIN, we're talking about a fourth liner (who will be very good for us through his career) and a 6/7th dman. Just a waste of energy.

54 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

He's a fourth round draft pick and he's shown glimpses. Maybe he's just not playing well? That feels like a simple answer because frankly, he didn't play well when he got in.

49 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Oh maybe he's just simply not playing/practicing as well as the top 6 dmen so he hasn't been able to crack the lineup.
Which means he may run into the same issue at a "top ten school" if he transfers.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Goodness, the obsession with Scott Morrow. For a group of people who hate how their team's defense plays, they want a guy who doesn't play defense from the blue line, like... AT ALL.

How did I get roped into this comment :)

but…morrow is a stud and all non Und fans know this. It’s a fact :). And he does play D. It was never about skill, it was about Dad 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, brianvf said:

He actually played in less games in his first two seasons at UNO than in his first two seasons at UND.

He played in fewer. ;)  

Fewer is countable things; less is for volumetric or non-countable things: You put less coffee in the filter when you want to make fewer cups. 

The preceding was a sponsored grammar injection from the @MafiaMan/ @Blackheart School. We now return you to your prior hockey discussion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

An observant person could say that Berry's "culture" includes winning 3 consecutive Conference Championships (plus a National Title a few short years ago).  Sure, many rabid fans want the National Championship, who doesn't, but the goal tending this season has been a big reason for the lack of wins.  Expectations of the coaching staff probably exceed that of the fan base. At least the coaches have the credibility in their repertoires, rather than the lack of it in many of the complainers I have read on this board.

Some of the comments make me laugh at their simplistic absurdity.  Everyone who thinks they have the real knowledge to make a coaching decision should first read Teddy Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena."  It pretty much sums up how I feel about this situation.

Where would this team be if the Coaching staff decided at the beginning of the year to ride DeRidder like they have post Western Michigan series (remember the one that they started Johnson and he gave up 7)? The Coaching staff deserves a lot of criticism for how they handled the goalie situation. Not hindsight either. He's the only D1 goalie they have on the roster. You could pivot though, this team has given up 3 Goals in the last 3 Games and they have 0 regulation wins, so scoring is an issue also. Take your pick, this year has been a disaster. 

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

How did I get roped into this comment :)

but…morrow is a stud and all non Und fans know this. It’s a fact :). And he does play D. It was never about skill, it was about Dad 

HAHA that wasn't angled at you at all, man. Him not coming here was definitely not about his skill, I agree 100%.

He is a stud. An offensive stud. I highly disagree with him playing defense. Maybe in pieces, but the dude does not play D consistently. We're a team that's struggled all year with gap play and getting out of position. He is consistently out of position. He's a -1 this season after being a +10 last year. I think Ty Farmer had A LOT to do with his success. 

Anyway, it was just a shot at the obsessions with the kid as a side effect of Bubbs' problems. Plus, we're in the wrong thread for this lol.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He played in fewer. ;)  Fewer is countable things; less is for volumetric or non-countable things: You put less coffee in the filter when you want to make fewer cups. 

The preceding was a sponsored grammar injection from the @MafiaMan/ @Blackheart School. We now return you to your prior hockey discussion. 

image.jpeg.3e0216972cff980d90f54d15937d1bd7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

HAHA that wasn't angled at you at all, man. Him not coming here was definitely not about his skill, I agree 100%.

He is a stud. An offensive stud. I highly disagree with him playing defense. Maybe in pieces, but the dude does not play D consistently. We're a team that's struggled all year with gap play and getting out of position. He is consistently out of position. He's a -1 this season after being a +10 last year. I think Ty Farmer had A LOT to do with his success. 

Anyway, it was just a shot at the obsessions with the kid as a side effect of Bubbs' problems. Plus, we're in the wrong thread for this lol.

I think it had more to do with team success than farmer tbh, I’ve seen farmer play this year. UMASS is struggling this year really bad, so the -1 isn’t that bad. I mean he leads their team in pts (from the point) all while having one of the best +\- on his team. -1 would be really good on our team…go take a looksy  :) 

• Upvote 1