SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Mavs....and Stu!

Wilbur

We won the battle for 6th place with a 3x3 win and a shootout victory that some cough....cough @MafiaMan see as a mere tie.  

Stu brings his second place group to the Ralph.  A good performance from them and they've got CC round one.  A poor one and they could be looking at UND or Duluth at Baxter arena.

DeRidder the hero in our sweep of CC.  One goal in six periods against the Tigers....but I'm told that we hit the post a bunch.

Not quite lose and go home weekend for us, but we are getting closer....

UND sweeps with two shootout wins.  Book it. 

26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We won the battle for 6th place with a 3x3 win and a shootout victory that some cough....cough @MafiaMan see as a mere tie.  

Stu brings his second place group to the Ralph.  A good performance from them and they've got CC round one.  A poor one and they could be looking at UND or Duluth at Baxter arena.

DeRidder the hero in our sweep of CC.  One goal in six periods against the Tigers....but I'm told that we hit the post a bunch.

Will there be fireworks?  Asking for Mafiaman.:whistling:

This will be a tough matchup.
UNO has been playing very well since the calendar flipped to 2023...only 3 losses in 12 games (with one being a shootout loss).
One loss each to WMU, CC, and SCSU.

Mavs are hitting their stride at the right time...hopefully we can slow their momentum a bit.
And hoping that our offense regains some puck luck...too many damn posts.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

UNO has been playing very well since the calendar flipped to 2023...only 3 losses in 12 games (with one being a shootout loss).

Mavs are hitting their stride at the right time...hopefully we can slow their momentum a bit.

And you are wanting to play them in the first round??

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

But it seems more people are hoping to play a hot team, than a team that has been slipping lately, like St. Cloud.  Basically, if we want to play Omaha, we could probably do it by sweeping them, but then you would need to do the same thing the following weekend.  Just need to keep playing well on the defensive end and get to the net and get some greasy goals and get the power play going again, and let the chips fall where they may.  We’ve seen before that teams we want to play during tourney time doesn’t always work out great.

• Upvote 1

UNO is currently in second place in the NCHC, 16th in the PWR. I've got to tip my hat to the Mavs; they've had an impressive showing this season. My uneducated impression is that they aren't elite at any one particular thing but also have no glaring weaknesses. The exact opposite of UND perhaps?

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

And you are wanting to play them in the first round??

To be honest, I'd think we'd match up the best with them on the road.
We got absolutely crushed by SCSU on the road on their big sheet.  WMU offense is scary on many levels.
All three are very capable of ending our season in 2-3 games, don't get me wrong.
I just think we stand the best chance of taking a couple from UNO in Omaha compared with the other two options.

Omaha is our best option in the playoffs.  We don't defend well enough to have to defend more space at the Herb, that's just a fact.  Western scores in bunches and we love to give up goals in succession....plus Lawson isn't an easy place to play.

Yes, Stu has his team playing well, but Baxter isn't the Herb or Lawson as far as crazy atmospheres to play in.  Doesn't mean we are going to win there, it's just our best chance. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2023 at 2:54 PM, Wilbur said:

Omaha may be the team that gets the Sioux past the first round of the playoffs.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/after-fun-moment-to-close-practice-und-sets-sights-on-regular-season-finale

The Mavericks (18-11-3) have charged up to second in the standings by going 10-2-1 since New Year's Eve. They could finish anywhere between second and fourth. Omaha's highest-ever finish in the NCHC is third. The Mavericks did that in 2013-14 and 2014-15 under Dean Blais.

UND could finish anywhere between fifth and seventh. It's possible UND could play Omaha again next weekend in the NCHC quarterfinals.

"We're trying to keep climbing the standings here," Berry said. "It's always a battle. It's two teams that play extremely hard. They're very close games and they're very competitive. There are a lot of things going into this weekend, but most of all, it's trying to keep playing the right way and trying to win some games."

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Albrecht with the shootout win @MafiaMan.....

Um ... 

... Hain walked the puck between the dots, wound up for a slap shot and hammered it 10 feet wide. ...

Uh ... I've seen that in games. 
Are we sure Hain was just being nice? :D  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Can’t figure any of this out, did Johnson sleep with someone and wasn’t supposed to? Did Strinden talk bad about the Nodak logo? Schlossman sure doesn’t bring any of this up at the pressers. 

What is so controversial about a coach making lineup decisions? I think Strinden should be in the lineup, but maybe he's knicked up? Maybe he, heaven forbid, thinks other players need/deserve more ice time or they are better than other guys in the lineup. We're talking 4th liners and 6/7th defensemen. Is it necessary for Schloss to dig into this? Sometimes there are no behind-the-scene stories. 

Lather, rinse, repeat conversation about Johnson. 

• Upvote 1