SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Brad's season preview podcast is up on Spotify. He's expecting Logan Britt to surprise fans.

I actually was starting to think a while ago that he will play more than some people might expect. Namely because I don’t think we are going to play 2 freshmen on the bottom pairing if we don’t have to. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I actually was starting to think a while ago that he will play more than some people might expect. Namely because I don’t think we are going to play 2 freshmen on the bottom pairing if we don’t have to. 

100% have been thinking this for a long time. You can guarantee with how many big games we have to start the season that Britt will be in every night for at least a month. We have potential to get buried in the pairwise if we flop early so having a guy with experience will be huge. 

34 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

100% have been thinking this for a long time. You can guarantee with how many big games we have to start the season that Britt will be in every night for at least a month. We have potential to get buried in the pairwise if we flop early so having a guy with experience will be huge. 

Britt sounds like just the kind of defensive defenseman this team might lean on, especially early. I believe Britt led his conference in blocked shots last season. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Britt sounds like just the kind of defensive defenseman this team might lean on, especially early. I believe Britt led his conference in blocked shots last season. 

Yeah when you look at the impact and steadiness that guys like Ferner and Sidorski have provided the last 2 seasons, the writing is on the wall for Britt to make a huge difference out of the gate. 

Who are the top five centers.
Will Bubs adopt a 9-3 mindset and not the traditional top6/bottom6.
Do you put former USHLers together (OMac-James; Perron-Emerson) looking for past magic. 
Will there be a go-to face off guy. 
Who runs the point on the power play. 

All these new faces; so many open questions. 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Do you put former USHLers together (OMac-James; Perron-Emerson) looking for past magic. 

Sounds like Berg will be our top face off guy.  Schlossman is hoping to see a jump from Schmaltz and McLaughlin as well in the faceoff circle. 

19 hours ago, Esoteric said:

Wow those UND defensemen developed quickly.

Just to clarify, not a lot will need true development in terms of how to play the college game. All of the transfers have played a significant amount of college hockey and that was a major reason why they are at UND. The freshmen will of course need to develop.

Gelling is the biggest thing. If this group gels quick, we're gonna have a great season.

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Berg, Schmaltz, Jamernik and OMac have all played center, but with the 9-3 mindset you mentioned do you put either Schmaltz or OMac at a different position to have them at a spot higher in the lineup?   The way it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised to see Albrecht and possibly a few other players split time early, so maybe Emerson could be splitting time early.   If Albrecht is looking good early like Schlossman said,  I would guess he might see some more time in the big games where a veteran presence could help.  So with the competition level both at defense and forward, what position do you use to fill the extra spot in the lineup each night?   If Berg is centering Blake and Gaber, is line 2 either Schmaltz or OMac, centering Perron and James?

An interesting data point would be "total career NCAA games" of the defense corps going into last season versus this season. 

Last years team would have a broader distribution (over eight guys) but the total (yes, over just four transfers) would be interesting. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-to-simulate-game-situations-in-hour-long-scrimmage-open-to-public

"Back when I played and even when I first came back (as an assistant coach in 2000), we had a Green-White game," UND coach Brad Berry said. "It's a first look for the fans before the puck drops on the season. We've always had a Fan Fest, but we're going to incorporate a game-like atmosphere because we can get in an extra rep before we drop the puck for real."

UND is planning to play a five-on-five scrimmage. One team will have three lines, the other will have two.

It will then go down to four-on-four and three-on-three.

UND will practice special teams situations — alternating power plays between the teams and even a six-on-five situation.

The session will end with a three-man shootout.

Former UND defenseman Mike LaMoine, a member of the 1987 NCAA national championship team, will be the new color analyst on the radio for home games this season.

He will join play-by-play commentator Tim Hennessy in the booth in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You have my official SS.com GuaranteeTM

Is that the 

• 5-5-2, good for five feet or five seconds whichever comes first, and if it breaks in two you get to keep both halves, or the 
  • 30-30, thirty feet or thirty seconds

I only offer a "tail light" guarantee: When you can no longer see mine driving away, warranty expired. 

Disclaimer: I've stolen all those.

• Like 1