SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

11 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Not fun on TV, and the novelty is worn off in person. Also can kill momentum/ flow of the game. Best case scenario is to score early in the game or late in the first period.

Don’t they do the teddy bear toss at intermission anyway? At least it was last time I went to one. So how would it affect the flow of the game? 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Don’t they do the teddy bear toss at intermission anyway? At least it was last time I went to one. So how would it affect the flow of the game? 

I was under the impression it's done after the first goal scored by the home team (based on TBT games watched/attended), but if UND does it differently then that's for the best.

26 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I was under the impression it's done after the first goal scored by the home team (based on TBT games watched/attended), but if UND does it differently then that's for the best.

They used to do it after the first goal years ago but more recently it’s been done at intermission. A lot of other schools have also started doing it at intermissions. 

Couple more "One More Shift" nights this year...Hrkac and Patrick.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/tony-hrkac-james-patrick-to-return-to-und-for-one-more-shift-this-season

The players — both of whom were first-team All-Americans — will be introduced during starting lineups and skate a couple of laps around UND's zone. A video tribute also will be played.

Hrkac will be recognized on Saturday, Oct. 21, before the series finale against rival Minnesota. Patrick's night will be Feb. 24, 2024, before the series finale against Minnesota Duluth.

Hopefully they come out fired up after those...I seem to recall that UND has had good luck in the games after the One More Shift.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jk said:

I can't be there, but if there was one "one more shift" I'd want to see, it would be Hrkac.  For the youngsters, all I can say is you had to be there.  Think of Blake's pass to Schmaltz in the exhibition, then think of it happening all game long, every game, against the best teams in the country.

I was in 6th grade and went to some games. Damn I'm getting old. :D

1 hour ago, jk said:

I can't be there, but if there was one "one more shift" I'd want to see, it would be Hrkac.  For the youngsters, all I can say is you had to be there.  Think of Blake's pass to Schmaltz in the exhibition, then think of it happening all game long, every game, against the best teams in the country.

It was beyond the imagination hockey. it was just so easy for all of them. 

I also remember my first time seeing Toews. There are few comps to him too.

Matthew Semisch 2023-24 NCHC Season Preview: Coming off no Frozen Four appearances in 2023, conference teams aiming to ‘maximize their chances’ this year. 

Matt is a little more objective than Ciskie. 

NORTH DAKOTA

HEAD COACH: Brad Berry (entering his ninth season at UND)
LAST SEASON: 18-15-6 (10-10-4 for 6th in NCHC)
KEY RETURNING PLAYERS: F Jackson Blake (So., 16g-26a-42pts); F Riese Gaber (Sr., 20g-17a-37pts);
KEY LOSSES: F Judd Caulfield (10g-9a-19 pts); D Chris Jandric (4g-29a-33pts); G Drew DeRidder (13-9-4, 2.56 GAA, .899 SV%)
KEY ADDITIONS: F Jayden Perron (Chicago Steel, USHL); F Cameron Berg (Omaha transfer); G Ludvig Persson (Miami transfer)
2023-24 PREDICTION: Last season was a tale of two halves for a North Dakota team that was picked to finish second in the NCHC. The Fighting Hawks were far more consistent in the second half, but a tough first half came back to bite them, and they missed out on the NCAA tournament. UND has 14 new faces for this season, and that feels like a lot, but the last time the Hawks had that many newcomers, two years ago, they were Penrose Cup winners as the NCHC’s regular season champions. I’ve got the Hawks second again, and I’m very interested to see what Persson will do with his new team, but after what happened last season, this is another wait-and-see pick.
2023-24 PREDICTED FINISH: 2nd

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/cameron-berg-hoping-to-be-a-go-to-center-for-und

So, when Omaha forward Cameron Berg entered the transfer portal this spring, UND coach Brad Berry saw him as a perfect fit.

“He’s a strong, heavy body up the middle,” Berry said. “I mean heavy in a good way — he has strong hands, he’s strong on pucks. He also can make high-level plays. He can shoot a puck. He plays with firmness.”

Berg, who grew up in West Fargo, has been getting looks at centering UND’s top line during fall skates.

• Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

So this is a guy UND played against in the first round of the NCHC playoffs in March, but is now on UND's team? Such is life in the portal era.

He's a West Fargo kid led astray by some time in White Bear Lake. 
He's repented.
giphy.gif 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I heard Cook County Correctional Facility serves a mean pepper steak.:wink:

@petey23 avatar can confirm. 

They may have SCMODS but they'll never catch me ... 

It's either glorious or embarrassing, but I could probably write down the entire dialog from that film.
Now I'm going back to listening to music. What key? A, good country key ...

• Upvote 2

My wishlist for the 2023-24 season:

1. As much as possible, as quickly as possible, play as a cohesive five-man unit. 
  2. Persson has the best season of his life.
  3. Find some supplemental scoring from the defensemen.
  4. That at least a couple of these forwards--Strinden, James, McLaughlin, Kunz, Schmaltz--would take big steps forward.
  5. Avoid major injuries.

I'm so excited to watch this team. 

• Like 2

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/how-junior-hockey-experience-prepared-abram-wiebe-and-jake-livanavage-for-their-rookie-seasons

Abram Wiebe had a decision to make a year ago.

He had the option to come to UND or to return to Chilliwack in the British Columbia Hockey League for one more year of seasoning.

“I made the big decision to go back,” Wiebe said. “I knew I had to make that decision. I wanted to come into college over-prepared. I’ve seen a lot of guys come into college way too early and it’s definitely not a good thing for their game.

“Going back to Chilliwack, I knew I was going to be the go-to guy and I took that opportunity to work on my defensive game, my stick positioning and my speed. I let the offense come with it. I’m glad I took that opportunity to grow. It worked out. I had a really good season.”

Similar to the decision that Strathmann made this season.

Berry said the experience of Wiebe and Livanavage could lead to larger roles than most freshman defensemen.

“You don’t see the glaring errors,” Berry said. “You don’t see the wide-eyed freshman look. You don’t see them being behind. They’ve done a good job so far in practices and camp.”