SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

From "God's view" of the arena, chairs in rows are numbered clockwise. 

What you should be asking is "how many seats wide is 102"?
If it's 24 seats you have an answer.  

Since section 102 is in the corner, the rows of seats get wider as you go up from the glass. Each row has a different amount of seats.

I see five centers: Berg, Schmaltz, OMac, LouieJam, Ness
I see four power forwards: Strinden, Emerson, Kunz, Johannes
I see four speed forwards: Gaber, Blake, Perron, James
I think Albrecht is more power and Montgomery is more speed. 

No matter what, I see enough to migrate from the top six/bottom six mindset to more of a 9/3 mindset. 

• Like 1

I think I just figured out what's different about this group of forwards; ... 
something's been bugging me with them and I couldn't quite figure it out until now.

Speed.

As a group, this group of forwards might have the most speed in half a decade or more. 

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

On his most recent podcast, Schloss mentioned that Komzak was one player that surprised him with how good he looked in early practice sessions.

There must be something there: Komzak was at the Vegas Dev Camp with Pyke and Wiebe. Teams don't give those slots away. 

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2023/7/10/mens-hockey-plenty-of-north-dakota-flavor-featured-across-nhl-development-camps.aspx 

Komzak is 21. Seems to be a late bloomer. I'm good with that; UND has had good fortune with those. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, brianvf said:

On his most recent podcast, Schloss mentioned that Komzak was one player that surprised him with how good he looked in early practice sessions.

I haven't listened to this week's podcast yet, but I'm guessing the fact that he's a righty and older means he got a great shot at being a regular. With having 8 newbies on D, I think age is going to make a big difference along with those that already have college experience. Especially with us playing some very good teams early in the season. 

1 hour ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I haven't listened to this week's podcast yet, but I'm guessing the fact that he's a righty and older means he got a great shot at being a regular. With having 8 newbies on D, I think age is going to make a big difference along with those that already have college experience. Especially with us playing some very good teams early in the season. 

Those games will be interesting and may test our patience as much the boys' performance.   D has a significant learning curve.  

• Upvote 1

Anyone got any UND hockey road trips planned for this upcoming season? -My wife and I are kicking around the idea of going to Boston for the BU series and perhaps the CC road series at Mariucci and of course, the UND series at CC and DU. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Anyone got any UND hockey road trips planned for this upcoming season? -My wife and I are kicking around the idea of going to Boston for the BU series and perhaps the CC road series at Mariucci and of course, the UND series at CC and DU. 

Flight to MSP booked April 10-16. Hope to see them then!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Omaha series at the Ralph in January with my son.
I'm down in AZ, so it's a road trip for me even if it's a home series for UND.  ;) 

• Upvote 1

I took a 1 year hiatus from attending the UND at DU series last season (and it turned out to be a wise decision) but I plan on resuming one of my favorite road series. Something about Maggot Arena when UND comes to town, it’s electric. DU fans are kinda annoyed that the UND series will happen while the students are on break. Can sell more seats now to UND fans. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I took a 1 year hiatus from attending the UND at DU series last season (and it turned out to be a wise decision) but I plan on resuming one of my favorite road series. Something about Maggot Arena when UND comes to town, it’s electric. DU fans are kinda annoyed that the UND series will happen while the students are on break. Can sell more seats now to UND fans. 

That’s what you get when you use quarters instead of semesters 

• Upvote 1

On 7/21/2023 at 7:40 PM, siouxfaninseattle said:

I'm considering a trip to the Ralph this winter. Have they announced any "One Last Shift" games?

I'd like to see one for Tony Hrkac.  Wait, he's done playing right? :lol:

• Upvote 3

UND looking for the third assistant coach to work with the dmen:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-begins-search-for-third-assistant-mens-hockey-coach

UND has started its search for a third assistant men's hockey coach.

The job was posted Tuesday morning. It will be open for a week.

The job posting says it will pay between $90,000-110,000.

The job posting indicates UND wants the new coach to work with the team's defensemen. The Fighting Hawks will have eight new defensemen this season — four transfers and four freshmen.

Alex Bump would be a very nice late additional pickup for this years squad. Could develop him into a nice 3-4 year college player. Saw a rumor tweet that there "might" be interest in UND. Overall, it would make a deeper forward roster and the Seniors minus Gaber have had plenty of opportunity imho...