SiouxSports.com Forum

What can be learned?

The Sicatoka

Did SDSU develop Kraft? Did he have it in him to be a star and it came out eventually? Did the Jacks throw it to him so much that they made him a star on the field?  Combo of all?  

I would love for our TE's to be NFL candidates. Do they have it in them?  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 12:21 PM, The Sicatoka said:

The poor game management (scoreboard and clock and lack of urgency) yesterday by NDSU still astounds me. Did Klieman take all the Cliff Notes and Schawm Outline cards with him to KSU? 

When third tier ABC announcers are dumbfounded at going for one, and they're right, that ain't a good look. 

I wondered how much steam that took out of the Bizon Defense, going back out and still down three scores.

To restate the obvious - How much does bad coaching decisions translate into on field results ...?  And how much on-field accountability do coaches have to get a bad decision from one of their own reversed?

1 minute ago, farce poobah said:

I wondered how much steam that took out of the Bizon Defense, going back out and still down three scores.

The portion of their fanbase that can do "24 divided by 8" was deflated ... so about a quarter. ;) :D 

Going for one was a white-flag move. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, farce poobah said:

And ... SDSU hit them with a long TD pass on the following possession.

Stig didn't mess around: He took not one but two second half kill-shots (to 38, to 45). 

He knew he was coming for the king and he best not miss. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, iramurphy said:

If you aren’t going to put our TE’s in our pass patterns, you won’t know what they can do. Did Kraft from Madison SDak have multiple offers?  We have had  6’4” - 6’5” 250 lb  TE’s who were multi sport athletes and showed they can catch the ball. I could care less if they play in the NFL. I think they could be very effective if they were included in the passing game.  You aren’t going to get TE’s to come here if you won’t through them the ball. 

14 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Kraft had two catches for 30 yards in the NC. Heins had 0 catches. 

They scored 45 points against the #2 defense in the country.  

Where do you come up with the nonsense about a “personal vendetta “? This was a response specifically regarding TE’s. It isn’t a comment about the Championship game. It was a response about getting TE’s like SDSU/NDSU. My response also doesn’t mean I can’t see the value of guys who can play in the NFL. It means I am concerned more about what UND FB does.  I also misstated where Kraft is from but I still wonder how many other offers he had. I still believe we have talented athletes at some positions, including tight end who if they aren’t going to get on the field at TE can help us at other positions. Just my opinion. 

On 1/9/2023 at 11:48 AM, UND1983 said:

As soon as we have tight ends that look like and play like NDSU and SDSU's I am all in.  Our's aren't going to the NFL or carry multiple FCS/FBS offers out of high school.

We need to transition to a running QB that can throw some also

I would flip that to a pass first QB who is also dynamic running. (Kaminsky has this!!)  I don't want us to have a game where we only complete one pass.  Yes that team ultimately won that game, but looking at SDSU, Gronowski is a passer first.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Where do you come up with the nonsense about a “personal vendetta “? This was a response specifically regarding TE’s. It isn’t a comment about the Championship game. It was a response about getting TE’s like SDSU/NDSU. My response also doesn’t mean I can’t see the value of guys who can play in the NFL. It means I am concerned more about what UND FB does.  I also misstated where Kraft is from but I still wonder how many other offers he had. I still believe we have talented athletes at some positions, including tight end who if they aren’t going to get on the field at TE can help us at other positions. Just my opinion. 

Before Dallas Goedert was a star in the NFL he was a 6'5" walk-on that came in around 225 lbs according to the guy that recruited him to SDSU.  I would wager, without anyway to prove it, that Goedert would be more likely bagging groceries vrs catching passes in the NFL if he attended UND.  He was an A honor roll student, surprised we didn't look at him.

2013: Redshirted ... honored as Scout Offense Player of the Week in preparation for regular season finale at Youngstown State

BEFORE SDSU: Was an honorable mention all-state selection two times in football at Britton-Hecla High School ... three-time all-conference pick in both football and basketball ... team captain in both sports ... member of the A Honor Roll

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Before Dallas Goedert was a star in the NFL he was a 6'5" walk-on that came in around 225 lbs according to the guy that recruited him to SDSU.  I would wager, without anyway to prove it, that Goedert would be more likely bagging groceries vrs catching passes in the NFL if he attended UND.  He was an A honor roll student, surprised we didn't look at him.

2013: Redshirted ... honored as Scout Offense Player of the Week in preparation for regular season finale at Youngstown State

BEFORE SDSU: Was an honorable mention all-state selection two times in football at Britton-Hecla High School ... three-time all-conference pick in both football and basketball ... team captain in both sports ... member of the A Honor Roll

Trace Thaden was said to be 6'7" #245 when he got here, and he impressed at the UND camps he attended with at least one dynamic catch. I don't know what his dimensions are now but might someone like that be akin to the SDSU type TEs that have dominated Valley teams for years?  I've heard talk of moving Thaden to OL, too. 

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Before Dallas Goedert was a star in the NFL he was a 6'5" walk-on that came in around 225 lbs according to the guy that recruited him to SDSU. 

The guy I know who knows Goedert (married to his cousin) says he hasn't been 225 since eighth grade.  :D 

56 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Trace Thaden was said to be 6'7" #245 when he got here, and he impressed at the UND camps he attended with at least one dynamic catch. I don't know what his dimensions are now but might someone like that be akin to the SDSU type TEs that have dominated Valley teams for years?  I've heard talk of moving Thaden to OL, too. 

That boy is an OT. Huge frame.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Und246 said:

McFeeley reads the UND discussion board. That should be the last thing he’s worrying about. Funny Funny

He should be giving dom hell

dom picked sdsu , so did the other short little forum guy 

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2023 at 10:23 PM, UND1983 said:

Kraft had two catches for 30 yards in the NC. Heins had 0 catches. 

They scored 45 points against the #2 defense in the country.  

I'm already missing football since the official end of the season at last weekend's SuperBowl.  Although this thread has been quiet for several weeks, I thought I'd add a noteworthy point about SDSU's Zach Heins. Probably the best-kept secret at the title game in Frisco was Heins broke a bone in his foot the day before the game. Apparently he was cleared to dress and go to the line to block but he wasn't going to run down field for a pass.  So, when SDSU had Kraft and Heins both in, NDSU had to defend against two great TE's -- I doubt anyone outside of SDSU's lockerroom knew Heins wasn't going catch a pass that day. If Heins had been capable of running down field, the Bison knew they couldn't just defend against Kraft.  Moments after the game was concluded, Heins was sitting down, ankle and foot in a boot, and celebrating the national title.

I'm pretty sure tight end is the position that has put more Jackrabbits on NFL rosters than any other position. [Overall, the Jacks haven't put THAT many guys in the NFL but of those who got a look from the NFL, I think tight end seems to be the spot that NFL scouts pay the most attention to the Jacks.]  In ancient times, when I was a student at SDSU, I worked for the sports information director. Pro scouts contacted our office for information and I talked with several scouts about who they were looking at etc. One scout told me that SDSU tended to have tight ends who were more like pro tights ends. Stig's teams have always had good tight ends.  In the recent years, Goedert, Kraft, and next year we'll hear a lot more about Heins...but you can  search past SDSU rosters for lot of years and be reminded of some great SDSU tight ends. It's not always the position that gets a lot of attention.

• Upvote 4