SiouxSports.com Forum

What can be learned?

The Sicatoka

UND Football's two greatest problems played yesterday.

What can be learned, what are the take-aways from that game?

1. Line of scrimmage - SDSU won it, owned it, had better size and depth, and it was the reason for their win <- this one is 100x more important than next ones
2. Scoreboard management - down 38-20 they kicked the EP, ... and stayed down three scores. Making a two-point makes a two-possession game. In a game with nothing going for you, being down two possessions with 11 to go is something to build from
3. Clock management - NDSU fans question not using their TOs late in first half to get ball one more time (no opinion) 

Other items? 

34 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Having a sense of urgency.  

They (19 pages of A-gap power plays in their book*) aren't built for urgency or coming back. It's just more of the "1980 Soviet" problem. 

Down 17 with 11 to play (and it should've been down 18 or 16 but that's a different matter) they couldn't even drop into a 4-minute soft-huddle offense. Why? 

*OK, that's a lie. It's only 12. :D;) :D 

I didn’t watch the game but based on their 2nd quarter points, SDSU kept their foot on the gas. That’s been a frustration point for me with UND football. They get up a score or two and then simply try to burn out the clock. I want to see some nails in coffins early rather than at the very end of a game. Too many times teams have crawled back into a game because we lack that killer instinct. This game isn’t about giving the opponent a second chance. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

2. Scoreboard management - down 38-20 they kicked the EP, ... and stayed down three scores. Making a two-point makes a two-possession game.

I think we can put to bed who has the worst in-game management for a while.
Absolutely inexcusable. 

Offensive pieces are there.  SDSU played in space yesterday.  Got NDSUs safety’s and LBs out of position and didn’t tackle well.  

Defensively need to address to DL/OLBs.  Both teams yesterday physically dominated us during the regular season and are the bar for winning championships.  

My last takeaway is facilities matter.  SDSUs investments into facilities that match NDSUs aligns with their ascent to consistent on field performance.  Long process but they had a vision, found the financial support and executed.  

• Upvote 1

1. Physically we couldn't hang with SDSU for 60 minutes.

2. QBs in the Natty combined for 18 carries, 126 yards, and a TD.  And that's a light game day for NDSU QBs historically speaking.

3. Style of play different than UND.  TE's combined for 6 receptions, 115 yards, and 2 TDS in the Natty.  Thus far their style of play (NDSU/SDSU) has been "slightly" more successful.  Either we don't have the athletes to play this style of football or we are __________________.  (fill in the blank) 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, homer said:

Offensive pieces are there.  SDSU played in space yesterday.  Got NDSUs safety’s and LBs out of position and didn’t tackle well.  

Defensively need to address to DL/OLBs.  Both teams yesterday physically dominated us during the regular season and are the bar for winning championships.  

My last takeaway is facilities matter.  SDSUs investments into facilities that match NDSUs aligns with their ascent to consistent on field performance.  Long process but they had a vision, found the financial support and executed.  

My point exactly…TOTAL INVESTMENT. Define the vision and get behind it. Watching some Bison missed tackles yesterday seriously made me wonder if someone was paying them off. I mean the defense missed so many tackles. 
What could we learn from that?

Tough OL…again what could we learn from that?

Total Bison frustration and breakdown in many areas when down…then the penalties started.  Again what could we learn from that? Maybe a culture of positivity? Teamwork under adversity?

Please get admin and AD behind this culture change.

40 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

1. Physically we couldn't hang with SDSU for 60 minutes.

2. QBs in the Natty combined for 18 carries, 126 yards, and a TD.  And that's a light game day for NDSU QBs historically speaking.

3. Style of play different than UND.  TE's combined for 6 receptions, 115 yards, and 2 TDS in the Natty.  Thus far their style of play (NDSU/SDSU) has been "slightly" more successful.  Either we don't have the athletes to play this style of football or we are __________________.  (fill in the blank) 

As soon as we have tight ends that look like and play like NDSU and SDSU's I am all in.  Our's aren't going to the NFL or carry multiple FCS/FBS offers out of high school.

We need to transition to a running QB that can throw some also

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND Football's two greatest problems played yesterday.

What can be learned, what are the take-aways from that game?

1. Line of scrimmage - SDSU won it, owned it, had better size and depth, and it was the reason for their win <- this one is 100x more important than next ones
2. Scoreboard management - down 38-20 they kicked the EP, ... and stayed down three scores. Making a two-point makes a two-possession game. In a game with nothing going for you, being down two possessions with 11 to go is something to build from
3. Clock management - NDSU fans question not using their TOs late in first half to get ball one more time (no opinion) 

Other items? 

We all (including Bubba and staff and UND fans) recognize and agree that your point #1 is #1. UND needs to get bigger, stronger, faster and meaner on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If they can do that, they can be champions. But they have a lot of catching up to do to NDSU and SDSU. 

the other points are valid and really are just pure coaching: situational football, teaching, player prep, etc. 

• Upvote 1

The poor game management (scoreboard and clock and lack of urgency) yesterday by NDSU still astounds me. Did Klieman take all the Cliff Notes and Schawm Outline cards with him to KSU? 

When third tier ABC announcers are dumbfounded at going for one, and they're right, that ain't a good look. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

As soon as we have tight ends that look like and play like NDSU and SDSU's I am all in.  Our's aren't going to the NFL or carry multiple FCS/FBS offers out of high school.

I'm glad our TE's don't look like the NDSU TE, he's 6'3" and 245 lbs and that's probably inflated.

How about Gindorff though, 6'6" at 268 lbs and can run. (injured early in the year)

9 hours ago, UND1983 said:

If you aren’t going to put our TE’s in our pass patterns, you won’t know what they can do. Did Kraft from Madison SDak have multiple offers?  We have had  6’4” - 6’5” 250 lb  TE’s who were multi sport athletes and showed they can catch the ball. I could care less if they play in the NFL. I think they could be very effective if they were included in the passing game.  You aren’t going to get TE’s to come here if you won’t through them the ball. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

You guys and your personal vendetta to get UND to throw the ball 2-3x a game to the tight ends. 

Does it sound great to say it would help the offense? Sure.  But in reality we don't have anybody close to what they have.  Anybody catch 2 passes for 18 yards.  What does that do to improve the offense?  Nothing. A WR can catch those two passes and have a better chance of YAC.  

To be honest, I am more worried about our QB's ability to hit pass route beyond 30 yards.  It's feels like Tommy really struggles on the deep routes and we need that to really open things up on offense.  It is the next step for the offense.    

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

A comment "elsewhere" was they were like the Soviets in 1980: They had no idea how to respond to being down and outplayed. 

Interesting they acted like they were a VICTIM of "teh-HOCKIES" aka LOSING!!  (again!) - interesting choice of SPORTS and highly ironic I might say:-)

10 hours ago, iramurphy said:

If you aren’t going to put our TE’s in our pass patterns, you won’t know what they can do. Did Kraft from Madison SDak have multiple offers?  We have had  6’4” - 6’5” 250 lb  TE’s who were multi sport athletes and showed they can catch the ball. I could care less if they play in the NFL. I think they could be very effective if they were included in the passing game.  You aren’t going to get TE’s to come here if you won’t through them the ball. 

Tucker Kraft
Kraft was a force in all three phases of the game at Timber Lake High School, seeing action primarily at running back, middle linebacker and punter. He rushed for 1,405 yards and 24 touchdowns as a senior, while adding 132 receiving yards and 56 tackles en route to a spot on the Sioux Falls Argus Leader Elite 45. A four-year starter, his career totals included 3,130 rushing yards and 50 touchdowns on offense, to go along with 142 tackles and eight sacks on defense. He also saw limited action at quarterback, throwing five touchdown passes.

Kraft plans to major in biology.

https://gojacks.com/news/2018/12/19/jackrabbits-unveil-football-recruiting-class.aspx

I agree with what you’re saying. Have to better utilize the players.

Looks like he had the accolades to suggest he could be good. But recruiting is an in-exact science, as you know. And he’s not from Madison - you’re thinking of the Janke twins. 

I think getting kids to the NFL is a big deal, and shouldn’t be entirely overlooked as you suggest. Give SDSU credit for developing and actually utilizing their tight ends. UND needs to improve in both those areas (development, player utilization).

8 hours ago, UND1983 said:

You guys and your personal vendetta to get UND to throw the ball 2-3x a game to the tight ends. 

Does it sound great to say it would help the offense? Sure.  But in reality we don't have anybody close to what they have.  Anybody catch 2 passes for 18 yards.  What does that do to improve the offense?  Nothing. A WR can catch those two passes and have a better chance of YAC.  

As far as your reality goes, of UND not having anyone close to what NDSU and SDSU have, whose fault is that?

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Tucker Kraft
Kraft was a force in all three phases of the game at Timber Lake High School, seeing action primarily at running back, middle linebacker and punter. He rushed for 1,405 yards and 24 touchdowns as a senior, while adding 132 receiving yards and 56 tackles en route to a spot on the Sioux Falls Argus Leader Elite 45. A four-year starter, his career totals included 3,130 rushing yards and 50 touchdowns on offense, to go along with 142 tackles and eight sacks on defense. He also saw limited action at quarterback, throwing five touchdown passes.

Kraft plans to major in biology.

https://gojacks.com/news/2018/12/19/jackrabbits-unveil-football-recruiting-class.aspx

I agree with what you’re saying. Have to better utilize the players.

Looks like he had the accolades to suggest he could be good. But recruiting is an in-exact science, as you know. And he’s not from Madison - you’re thinking of the Janke twins. 

I think getting kids to the NFL is a big deal, and shouldn’t be entirely overlooked as you suggest. Give SDSU credit for developing and actually utilizing their tight ends. UND needs to improve in both those areas (development, player utilization).

How many other offers?