SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

Love synergy, but..... defensive data on that program should be taken with a grain of salt.. It is much better suited for offensive statistics and data, IMO.

If you're a bad defender and you're matchup is a bad offensive player normally.. your synergy #'s will say "Good" or "excellent" because your primary matchup doesn't do anything offensively...

If you are drawing better offensive players on a night to night basis your rating will say "poor" or "average" because those players are more involved.

Teams that I've been a part of, our best defenders were always synergy rated "poor or "average" and everyone with a brain or sense would say those guys were our best defender.

You can make that argument with every advanced statistic. It matters about scheme and who the other 4 guys on the court are as well and unfortunately there is no way to track every single thing that goes into the game into one nice number. Advanced statistics are great to look at but can't be the only thing you look at.  

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

And also bottom 38% in the nation compared to top 55% in the nation...... we want to look at how many total minutes each player played as well?? I think one had a whole lot more opportunities to prove how good of a defender he was than the other...

It is crazy the excuses that come out when the numbers come back not looking like you thought they would. Numbers don't lie my man. 

So one is at the 38th percentile and one is at the 45th percentile?
Weird way to phrase it, but that would put both below average, assuming that average is the 50% mark? Sounds like they are pretty close to me.

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

With the way people are talking, are we just assuming Omot is gone at this point? 

Other than pure conjecture is there anything solid that has been communicated by anyone that says Omot is looking? I was just at the Summit and met his parents and they said he was very happy. Perhaps some need to spend less time posting inane comments on the fan site and actually attend games and support the teams? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Brady is asked to defend a lot of players he shouldn't be defending, and you can't say that doesn't affect his statistics. My eye test is that creates disruption on whoever he is guarding and sometimes when he gets overmatched on the person, he is defending it does lead to breakdown and easy score. The metrics doesn't always tell the whole story on players and if we get to that point the game will be done for me. It's like baseball I used to be big fan and since metrics got involved, I have quit watching games and they are trying to play the game like video game. the games have become long and boring with too many strikeouts and way too long to watch. But getting back to players that can come back will be hard decision for coaching staff in constructing rosters and maintaining players because of playing time. The problem is you have these older players getting extra year and younger players not getting say length of playing time so these older players are taking time away from younger players.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GoodGood said:

Brady played hard. Brady struggled guarding the ball. Brady excelled in team defense. Excellent weak side defender. Brooks has much more upside in being an on ball defender. I do not think it’s controversial to say that. 

That is stating facts!

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

he can keep Omot, Eaglestaff, and Brooks. If any of those 3 leave then it is clearly a trend that he cannot keep good young talent and I think some changes need to be made. But if those 3 stay then I have no problem with keeping Sather and letting him try build off of the second half of this season going into next year.

From what I've heard and talked to others its a strong case BJ leaves. I can see Brooks leaving as well but hard to put my finger on what D1 team he would go to. Also Sather's job should be on the line if we see BJ, Brooks, and or Eaglestaff leaves. IF all or a good chuck of what should pillars for this rebuild go away, he's clearly not the guy the players like playing for.. 

55 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Other than pure conjecture is there anything solid that has been communicated by anyone that says Omot is looking? I was just at the Summit and met his parents and they said he was very happy. Perhaps some need to spend less time posting inane comments on the fan site and actually attend games and support the teams? 

You really think his parents are going to straight up tell a random person they just met their son hates UND and has his bags packed? lol I really hope you are right tho

8 minutes ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

You really think his parents are going to straight up tell a random person they just met their son hates UND and has his bags packed? lol I really hope you are right tho

Omot's parents attend all his games.  Roundtrips to St. Thomas will be much easier than Grand Forks 

Just now, UND1983 said:

Wow would that be dumb to transfer to a transitioning school. Any desire to make the NCAA tourney?

Yes and no, depends on what you are looking for I guess.  Couple of his best friends play for St. Thomas 

Wasn’t BJ offered by St Thomas out of high school? Would be a bad look to lose another player to an in conference team. How many other in conference transfers have there been the last few years? Only thing that comes to mind is Harden-Hayes committing to Kansas City before their coach got fired 

1 hour ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

I met them you didn't. But it's okay for a few people to constantly be posting baseless worries and concerns about a player leaving just because he is who our coaching staff thought he would be? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I met them you didn't. But it's okay for a few people to constantly be posting baseless worries and concerns about a player leaving just because he is who our coaching staff thought he would be? 

Again I hope you are right but I’m sure we were in the same boat last year with Bruns and we had hoped his brother was coming here too… 

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

I heard Bruns parents said the same thing last year about him and he bolted as soon as the season ended.  I hope the rumors are not true about BJ but we have to be ready to move forward if he does leave. 

There plenty of USD tampering behind this scenario. Coach Lee was fired one year after getting coach of the year - coincidence I think not.   

23 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

There plenty of USD tampering behind this scenario. Coach Lee was fired one year after getting coach of the year - coincidence I think not.   

While I think Todd Lee was a dbag and tampering may have been part of the firing, there were some other off the court extra curricular activities going on.