SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

21 minutes ago, SD UND said:

he was 2-9 this year from 3 and he's got some major hitches going on... Reality is his ceiling is probably a guy like cortez seales. Tez was 12-53 his sr year after going back and looking at his stats...

Sure UND would love to keep Elijah and see if he can get better.. Usually bad shooters are bad shooters and can maybe improve to below average.

If Brooks has a ceiling of Seales, that’s not bad. At least that’s someone I would rather not lose. I wouldn’t put him quite on the same level as BJ and Trey though if he does transfer. 

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Exactly. And Brady gets praised for it and everyone wants him to come back! But now that we have it in Brooks we write him off because he didn't shoot 40% from three as a true freshman. Brooks is more athletic, a better defender, better offensively, better size, strength. True D1 Player. Make it make sense....

Elijah is not a better offensive player than Brady. Brady has really good feel and a way better passer. Brooks being a better defensive player is debatable at best, IMO.

How do you want to play offensive basketball with Jalun, Elijah, BJ (30% from 3) and a non shooter at the 5?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Exactly. And Brady gets praised for it and everyone wants him to come back! But now that we have it in Brooks we write him off because he didn't shoot 40% from three as a true freshman. Brooks is more athletic, a better defender, better offensively, better size, strength. True D1 Player. Make it make sense....

100% agree.  Brooks has so much upside.  If he spent the summer working on his outside shot he has the potential to be really good.  He already is one of the most athletic guys on the team.   And unlike most of the rest of the team he gets in there and rebounds.  I want to keep all our freshman and build from there.  If Sather cant keep these 3 he needs to go.  

Just now, SD UND said:

Elijah is not a better offensive player than Brady. Brady has really good feel and a way better passer. Brooks being a better defensive player is debatable at best, IMO.

How do you want to play offensive basketball with Jalun, Elijah, BJ (30% from 3) and a non shooter at the 5?

Are you talking Freshman Brady or senior Brady?   This year has been the best shooting Brady has done since he came here.  I always said if he could develop a shot he would be a starter.  This year he did develop that shot.  And I love Brady dont get me wrong, but Brooks has way more upside in the future then Brady.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NewUndFan said:

Are you talking Freshman Brady or senior Brady?   This year has been the best shooting Brady has done since he came here.  I always said if he could develop a shot he would be a starter.  This year he did develop that shot.  And I love Brady dont get me wrong, but Brooks has way more upside in the future then Brady.    

I don't disagree with you... if we're talking about upside and potential, yes Brooks has more upside and potential than Brady... Most guys on the team have more upside and potential than Brady.. One of Brady's best gifts is maxing out his talent and potential... if Brooks can do that then yes, UND  will have a whale of a player on their hands. 

5 minutes ago, SD UND said:

@HoopsFan03 has the ability to get the synergy data, but 3/4 of the way through the season Brady’s defensive stats were horrible. He couldn’t guard anyone on ball. Great help side defender and someone willing to step in a put a body on someone. Brooks has a much higher ceiling. Bigger, stronger, more athletic. Much more scoring potential with the ball in his hands. Finds a way to impact the game without the ball in his hands. Now something happened this year with his shot, he regressed in terms of his mechanics. Would like to see a complete overhaul this summer but I don’t think that will happen 

1 minute ago, GoodGood said:

@HoopsFan03 has the ability to get the synergy data, but 3/4 of the way through the season Brady’s defensive stats were horrible. He couldn’t guard anyone on ball. Great help side defender and someone willing to step in a put a body on someone. Brooks has a much higher ceiling. Bigger, stronger, more athletic. Much more scoring potential with the ball in his hands. Finds a way to impact the game without the ball in his hands. Now something happened this year with his shot, he regressed in terms of his mechanics. Would like to see a complete overhaul this summer but I don’t think that will happen 

Love synergy, but..... defensive data on that program should be taken with a grain of salt.. It is much better suited for offensive statistics and data, IMO.

If you're a bad defender and you're matchup is a bad offensive player normally.. your synergy #'s will say "Good" or "excellent" because your primary matchup doesn't do anything offensively...

If you are drawing better offensive players on a night to night basis your rating will say "poor" or "average" because those players are more involved.

Teams that I've been a part of, our best defenders were always synergy rated "poor or "average" and everyone with a brain or sense would say those guys were our best defender.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Love synergy, but..... defensive data on that program should be taken with a grain of salt.. It is much better suited for offensive statistics and data, IMO.

If you're a bad defender and you're matchup is a bad offensive player normally.. your synergy #'s will say "Good" or "excellent" because your primary matchup doesn't do anything offensively...

If you are drawing better offensive players on a night to night basis your rating will say "poor" or "average" because those players are more involved.

Teams that I've been a part of, our best defenders were always synergy rated "poor or "average" and everyone with a brain or sense would say those guys were our best defender.

I guess you can look at the data however you want. At the end of the day can you guard the man in front of you? I think Brooks can and will be able to do it at a high level

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Let us compare the senior to the true freshman on defense.

This season Danielson was an "Average" defender giving up .894 PPP and ranking in the bottom 38% of all of D1 basketball. 

• P&R Ball Handler Defender - Below average
  • Isolation Defender - Below Average
  • Off Screen - Below Average
  • Post Up - Very Good
  • Handoffs - Average

This season Brooks as a true freshman was a "Good" defender giving up .84 PPP and ranking in the top 55% of all of D1 basketball

• P&R Ball Handler Defender - Very Good
  • Isolation Defender - Good
  • Off Screen - Good
  • Post Up - Average
  • Handoffs - Below Average

Numbers don't lie fellas.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GoodGood said:

I guess you can look at the data however you want. At the end of the day can you guard the man in front of you? I think Brooks can and will be able to do it at a high level

Ok now look at Mason Archambault's rating, Matt mims rating and whoever other "top defender" on teams and what does that say?

1 minute ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Let us compare the senior to the true freshman on defense.

This season Danielson was an "Average" defender giving up .894 PPP and ranking in the bottom 38% of all of D1 basketball. 

• P&R Ball Handler Defender - Below average
  • Isolation Defender - Below Average
  • Off Screen - Below Average
  • Post Up - Very Good
  • Handoffs - Average

This season Brooks as a true freshman was a "Good" defender giving up .84 PPP and ranking in the top 55% of all of D1 basketball

• P&R Ball Handler Defender - Very Good
  • Isolation Defender - Good
  • Off Screen - Good
  • Post Up - Average
  • Handoffs - Below Average

Numbers don't lie fellas.

So a differece of .05 PPP.. what is the number of total possessions for each player?

Just now, SD UND said:

So a differece of .05 PPP.. what is the number of total possessions for each player?

And also bottom 38% in the nation compared to top 55% in the nation...... we want to look at how many total minutes each player played as well?? I think one had a whole lot more opportunities to prove how good of a defender he was than the other...

It is crazy the excuses that come out when the numbers come back not looking like you thought they would. Numbers don't lie my man. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

And also bottom 38% in the nation compared to top 55% in the nation...... we want to look at how many total minutes each player played as well?? I think one had a whole lot more opportunities to prove how good of a defender he was than the other...

It is crazy the excuses that come out when the numbers come back not looking like you thought they would. Numbers don't lie my man. 

Providing context to those #'s.. I'm not surprised at all those numbers rate Brady as a bad defender... my argument is that every teams "best defender" is most likely rated poor or below average on most occasions. I don't think that's hard to understand.. .they are drawing the best offensive player on a night to night basis for 80% of their possessions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, SD UND said:

Providing context to those #'s.. I'm not surprised at all those numbers rate Brady as a bad defender... my argument is that every teams "best defender" is most likely rated poor or below average on most occasions. I don't think that's hard to understand.. .they are drawing the best offensive player on a night to night basis for 80% of their possessions.

Exactly…. I’m glad someone gets it!

For everyone who went off topic on this, the original post was about Sather's job future if Brooks, Omot or Eaglestaff leave.  I said Brooks would be the least of my worries in that regard.  You don't fire Sather if Brooks leaves, period.  The other two would make waves, though.

2 minutes ago, Hawksbball12 said:

Exactly…. I’m glad someone gets it!

There is nothing to get. Either you are a good defender or you are not. Either you can stop the opposing player from scoring or you can't. That shows up in the numbers. Our "best defender" can't stop an opposing player very well. That is my whole point.

People like SD claiming that Danielson is a great defender are just flat out wrong. Danielson is a GREAT team defender. He is not a 'put him on the other teams best player' defender. But Sather did that and that was a huge part to why our defense was so bad all year. 

5 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

There is nothing to get. Either you are a good defender or you are not. Either you can stop the opposing player from scoring or you can't. That shows up in the numbers. Our "best defender" can't stop an opposing player very well. That is my whole point.

People like SD claiming that Danielson is a great defender are just flat out wrong. Danielson is a GREAT team defender. He is not a 'put him on the other teams best player' defender. But Sather did that and that was a huge part to why our defense was so bad all year. 

No if you play hard the results do not matter. 
In all seriousness I think Brooks has massive upside and can be an elite on ball guy. I’m probably higher on him than most on here but I would be very disappointed if he was not back next year 

Just now, GoodGood said:

With the way people are talking, are we just assuming Omot is gone at this point? 

Just running a scenario, I dont personally know anything.  Let's say that this happens that out of the 6 people that UND wants to keep, we have these 4.

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Brooks has a very high ceiling. Sure it may not be as high as Omot or Eaglestaff but he can develop into a good player. Look at how he played at the end of the season compared to the beginning. He took big steps and played really well off the bench. He will only get better with time. He can develop a jump shot in the offseason with the right coaching and help. 

As you say, if he works hard during the offseason, he can definitely develop his shot.  T is a good example of what can be done in the offseason if a player has the heart to work at it.

• Upvote 1