SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Whoever’s next must be under 6’1”. 

Do you think anything happens after this season if it keeps going at this rate? Or do we have at least another year of this thanks to the awesome extension Chaves gave him this off-season?

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Do you think anything happens after this season if it keeps going at this rate? Or do we have at least another year of this thanks to the awesome extension Chaves gave him this off-season?

One more season that will be like football 2024 a throw away after everyone portals out

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I want to know the actual details of the extension, for the buyout in particular. 

47 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I want to know the actual details of the extension, for the buyout in particular. 

varying different things that i have found but his contract right now is either 190K or 195K. Next year would be 195 or 200, the next year would be 200 or 205, I would assume.

I have no idea about how buyouts work so... no insight there. 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Don't quote me on it, I believe I read somewhere last year that the buyout was 80% of the salary for the remainder of the contract. That was from the contract before the 2 year extension. I sure hope that number has changed with the extension based on his past performance.

If that # is still 80% then Chaves and our athletic department really have no clue what they are doing. Or Sather needs to give his representation a huge bonus because that would be highway robbery. 

• Upvote 1

Just guessing, but because of the extension he will be here next year as well. Don’t see them buying out two years.

As someone who loves football and basketball, it’s a disappointing time to be a UND fan. I’m not one on the anti hockey train, I still follow along a bit but have never been able to get into it. 

Who knows how this season will end, but FWIW I spoke to a current sophomore BB player the other day.  while he wasn't sure how this year would play out he is very optimistic about next year.  He is confident the core sophomore group will return and said the current freshman are very talented.  He seemed very optimistic about next year.  He mentioned that several times during their practices/scrimmages the freshman group would get the best of the starting 5.   Sather would then lose it and chew out the starters .  Are the freshman this good?  Or the starters that bad?   Time will tell.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

He mentioned that several times during their practices/scrimmages the freshman group would get the best of the starting 5.   Sather would then lose it and chew out the starters .  Are the freshman this good?  Or the starters that bad?   Time will tell.  

I wouldn't place much weight into this at all. This happens all the time no matter the team, that the "practice squad" beats the starting group during practice. You hear of it happening at every level of basketball.

I have first hand experience of this happening on highly successful teams more often than outsiders would ever think it happens. 

Practice is so much different than actual games. If the starting group played the bench guys in an actual game they would beat them by 20+. There is a reason the one group is the starters and one group is the bench/redshirt guys. 

With that being said, as an overall team, we are just plain bad. That we don't need time to tell. 

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Ho Ho Ho 5 in a row dips@&$#s

I will take being called a dipshit. I am a dipshit often. I react in the moment too much. Super glad Sather is having success right now. Hope he can have continued success for a long time here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I will take being called a dipshit. I am a dipshit often. I react in the moment too much. Super glad Sather is having success right now. Hope he can have continued success for a long time here. 

I agree with being glad that Sather and team are having success but a 5 game win streak does not erase all of Sathers past. We don't need another 13 years of Brian Jones as the head coach. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

I agree with being glad that Sather and team are having success but a 5 game win streak does not erase all of Sathers past. We don't need another 13 years of Brian Jones as the head coach. 

Hey, we're up to 37.9% win percentage at UND. Lifetime contract!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m not saying fire Sather, but that is one of the most embarrassing and pathetic losses in recent memory. We had a nice path to the championship and screwed it up. We were in control of that game, up 10 late. 

I’m so sick and tired of the current state of UND athletics outside of hockey. We can never build off momentum and get to the next level. 

• Upvote 2