SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Settle down big boy.  Did I say our coaching is supreme?  All I said is discounting how average our players really are is not smart.  

Nobody in FCS has enough talent on their roster for the current UND coaching staff to win a national title.  The proof is available to all over the last decade and I would say especially since 2018.  How many games has UND had major coaching errors?  Even Saturday, did they have no idea that Sac St Qb was elusive?  No plan b?  No plan C?  Did the OC not have a game plan to slow down the game if we could not stop the QB?  Football isn't rocket science.  If we run the ball last Saturday on every play in the second half, I personally think UND wins.  That's it.  Same players, same setting, same opponent.  If you disagree look at some of our possessions in the second half, after the D had come to life.

7 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Agreed. Gonna be the same !@#$ next year.

6 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Day by Day

Apathy well settled in at this point.

It’s been “prove it” time for UND football for a while as far as I’m concerned, and we continue to get 7-4 with occasional 5-6 and 3-8 sprinkled in. 

I think this is what UND wants … the followers to be slowly but surely conditioned to accept this mediocre level of production and expectation. For Bubba and his staff, it means a lifetime contract. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Apathy well settled in at this point.

It’s been “prove it” time for UND football for a while as far as I’m concerned, and we continue to get 7-4 with occasional 5-6 and 3-8 sprinkled in. 

I think this is what UND wants … the followers to be slowly but surely conditioned to accept this level of production and expectation 

I am not ok with where this program is at and I have higher expectations. I would assume there is a decent amount on this board that think this as well, the problem is that we are the diehards and represent a small majority of the fan base.

• Upvote 2

A little bit chicken/egg argument as to if it's coaching or talent - a bit of both with the understanding that coaches recruit talent.  But we sure aren't getting the best out of the talent we have.  After the SU game I thought wow - Bubba finally turned the corner.  Wrong.  The regression from that game was stunning. What kind of staff can't build off of that victory?  Looking back the Dancing Bubba video almost seems like a cruel joke.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The Offensive sequence at end of 3rd qtr and start of the 4th was the game.  That was our chance.  Ball at mid field at end of qtr after a first down on 3 straight runs.  Next 3 plays are two sacks and an incomplete pass.  We take the lead on that drive and the game is ours.  No idea why Danny called a pass at that moment other than he probably had too much time to think about the call between quarters.

Probably to keep the defense "honest," but when you run the ball like we do, in that situation you probably continue running it until you're forced to pass.  A number of factors that, in hindsight, could have/probably would have turned the game around.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think this is what UND wants … the followers to be slowly but surely conditioned to accept this mediocre level of production and expectation. For Bubba and his staff, it means a lifetime contract. 

I definitely don't agree that's what UND nor its staff want.  But wanting something (a championship) and being capable of getting it are not the same.  Bubba did what he could, now he needs to get out of the way and let a new guy try his hand.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I definitely don't agree that's what UND nor its staff want.  But wanting something (a championship) and being capable of getting it are not the same.  Bubba did what he could, now he needs to get out of the way and let a new guy try his hand.

Agree with the bolded part 100%.

No buyout this year, but please, no more freaking extensions.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

The OC is a former high-efficiency passing QB. 

I get that.  Meant that the Bison are known for killing teams with the run game in the 4th quarter.  Defenses can't stop it even when they know it's coming.  Beat them at their own game.  Why else call plays differently the rest of the season?

16 hours ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Wesley Eliodor just deleted all his nodak posts on Instagram and is posting pics of himself when he played for south dakota on his story ???

remember when tommy said wes was a "good wr".....wes probably remembered that when he beat his guy and tommy missed him by 10 yds against sac state in the end zone

f7c6462d-d533-419d-be14-ee9d60005d4a.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I've been an advocate for Bubba to retire.  In that scenario, I've been assuming he would be due no buyout of his contract.  Does anyone know if that is indeed correct?

Did someone say "contract"?
https://www.scribd.com/document/430465785/Bubba-Schweigert-contract 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The Offensive sequence at end of 3rd qtr and start of the 4th was the game.  That was our chance.  Ball at mid field at end of qtr after a first down on 3 straight runs.  Next 3 plays are two sacks and an incomplete pass.  We take the lead on that drive and the game is ours.  No idea why Danny called a pass at that moment other than he probably had too much time to think about the call between quarters.

"The Passes"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

When the 4th quarter started i texted my buddy who was traveling that UND has ball at mid field to start the 4th quarter and all the momentum...feels like we will probably win 38-28 or maybe 42-28.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Irish said:

A little bit chicken/egg argument as to if it's coaching or talent - a bit of both with the understanding that coaches recruit talent.  But we sure aren't getting the best out of the talent we have.  After the SU game I thought wow - Bubba finally turned the corner.  Wrong.  The regression from that game was stunning. What kind of staff can't build off of that victory?  Looking back the Dancing Bubba video almost seems like a cruel joke.

I love CJ Seigel and I know he may have been dealing with some injuries but is he any better right now than he was in 2019?

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Probably to keep the defense "honest," but when you run the ball like we do, in that situation you probably continue running it until you're forced to pass.  A number of factors that, in hindsight, could have/probably would have turned the game around.

Were we forced to pass? No beqcuse we were still getting 6 a carry

when that gets to 1-2 then we pass

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is the contract prior to most recent extension (2021), but I suspect the termination without cause section is much the same in terms of compensation for remaining years of contract. In summary, no changes for at least 1 more year, maybe 2. 

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is the contract prior to most recent extension (2021), but I suspect the termination without cause section is much the same in terms of compensation for remaining years of contract. In summary, no changes for at least 1 more year, maybe 2. 

... which is why I hope (after some soulsearching*) there's a realization and a resignation. 

*What should've been a springboard turned into a flash in the pan. 

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

I love CJ Seigel and I know he may have been dealing with some injuries but is he any better right now than he was in 2019?

This goes back to coaching.  Not even close to enough player development under this staff.  Who was the great frosh  that improved a bunch under this staff?  Siegel was a great example.  He is the type of player(there have been a few others) who should have developed into a consensus all American.   It never happens at UND. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2