SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

NDSU has the Slukys and Northern Iowa left.  They will lose the one at Northern Iowa, but beat SIU at home and I think they sneak in.

If they don't make the playoffs Entz's seat will be hotter than a grinder with double hot sauce with no white sauce.

Maybe it's already hot now that they've run out of Klieman's players and losing to every Dakota School. 

Yes fourth best Dakota team.  

Two games left:

@ The Yotes.

Home vs. Red Birds.

If they can win both games they could possibly slide into a seed.  If they split the games they are in, before losing on the road in the first round.

Lose next Saturday and it's officially the playoffs at home against Illinois State. 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Two games left:

@ The Yotes.

Home vs. Red Birds.

If they can win both games they could possibly slide into a seed.  If they split the games they are in, before losing on the road in the first round.

Lose next Saturday and it's officially the playoffs at home against Illinois State. 

If we go 7-4 I think we get a playoff game at home. Although after last year the bid doesn’t matter…

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Two games left:

@ The Yotes.

Home vs. Red Birds.

I'm looking forward to a seed..

On 11/27/2022 at 8:39 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think things will be much the same as far as coaching and personnel.  Here is a very early prediction on the 2023 season...

Drake - easy W

Northern Arizona - W

@Boise State - L

@South Dakota State - L

Western Illinois - W

North Dakota State - L

@Northern Iowa - L

Indiana State - W

@Murray State - Toss up - bad team but we are on road in a new venue

@South Dakota - Toss up - avg team but on the road

Illinois State - Toss up - good team but at home

There you have it.  somewhere between 4-7 and 7-4.  

Not a thing of beauty yesterday but a win is a win.  Need to split next 2 to make playoff(7-4).  That would be my prediction at this point.  Lose by 10 in Vermillion and win a squeaker at home.  7-4.  

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Not a thing of beauty yesterday but a win is a win.  Need to split next 2 to make playoff(7-4).  That would be my prediction at this point.  Lose by 10 in Vermillion and win a squeaker at home.  7-4.  

Agreed, that is the odds on favorite. Same record as 2022. But net progress depicted because beat NDSU in 2023. Onward to 2024. Lots of home games. Decade by decade moves on. 2025 head coach contract expires. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agreed, that is the odds on favorite. Same record as 2022. But net progress depicted because beat NDSU in 2023. Onward to 2024. Lots of home games. Decade by decade moves on. 2025 head coach contract expires. 

If NDSU was still the gorilla , I would agree with “progress”.  The gorilla is now the next stop down I29 and they toyed with us.   We are playing Bubbaball, which is consistently 5-7 wins, a chunk of heartbreak and a first round exit from the playoffs of the road.

I’ve said it before,  and I’ll say it again,  Bubba is a great man, but is a ceiling of 7 wins enough for Grand Forks and UND?  Another contract extension will likely give us that answer.

The main critique I have of UND Football in general is that I can't recall the last time the D was better than the O.

It starts with recruiting. The OL has brought in quite a few 300+ guys while the D has the 2 transfers and not much else. 

It may be the 3-4 way, but how many tackles do the interior linemen make per game? 

The O put up over 500 yards yesterday. That's crazy.

The D gave up over 300. That's not good.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shep said:

The main critique I have of UND Football in general is that I can't recall the last time the D was better than the O.

It starts with recruiting. The OL has brought in quite a few 300+ guys while the D has the 2 transfers and not much else. 

It may be the 3-4 way, but how many tackles do the interior linemen make per game? 

2014 the d was better I’d bet?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

North Dakota - South Dakota

border battle baby!!!!

has there ever been a trophy for this game?  

i said earlier that a traveling trophy for the bizon game needs to get done and it needs to go from fargo/gf to hillsboro by boat on the red if the red is open, feet if slushy, and snowmobile if it's frozen...

i saw that wyoming and csu walk / run the bronze shoe from laramie to fort collins each game...

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Another contract extension will likely give us that answer.

I think they have it set up for Bubba to retire when his current contract is up and have Danny take over, I'd be surprised and pissed if another extension happens. If prefer Danny take over this next season but I don't think it will happen until his contract expires. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i said earlier that a traveling trophy for the bizon game needs to get done and it needs to go from fargo/gf to hillsboro by boat on the red if the red is open, feet if slushy, and snowmobile if it's frozen...

i saw that wyoming and csu walk / run the bronze shoe from laramie to fort collins each game...

Yes, the Sitting Bull trophy. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitting_Bull_Trophy

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, shep said:

I feel like we have been down on the linebacker side especially the outside linebackers the past 2yrs. The 3-4 can be crazy good. The key to this defense is the 3 down lineman especially the NG. He is the tip of the spear who determines the flow. Their job is to force as many double teams as possible and occupy lineman to keep your playmaking linebackers, clean to make whatever plays they need to make. Problem is we’ve been undersized on the line, and a little under athletic at the linebacker position since Turner. Pedigo has been the only linebacker that really is getting home for us. Mullin has made a few big plays, and Buckner flashes once in a while. But consistency is a problem. I feel like we have addressed the line. But we’re still looking for those outside backers to show up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Parkers Pros said:

I feel like we have been down on the linebacker side especially the outside linebackers the past 2yrs. The 3-4 can be crazy good. The key to this defense is the 3 down lineman especially the NG. He is the tip of the spear who determines the flow. Their job is to force as many double teams as possible and occupy lineman to keep your playmaking linebackers, clean to make whatever plays they need to make. Problem is we’ve been undersized on the line, and a little under athletic at the linebacker position since Jackson. Pedigo has been the only linebacker that really is getting home for us. Mullin has made a few big plays, and Buckner flashes once in a while. But consistency is a problem. I feel like we have addressed the line. But we’re still looking for those outside backers to show up.

You have a good grasp of what it takes in the 3-4 but I'm just not seeing the big guys occupying 2 OL's consistently. I like Pedigo especially in the last two games and I I wish McNeal had 10 more pounds of meat on him, but he's been good. 

Still need to tackle better across the board.

23 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Should definitely be a trophy game

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1