SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

1 hour ago, shep said:

If I don't have to pay for ESPN+ I'd be happy. I only watch UND football on it.

Last year Midco also streamed broadcast and streamed an away game or two that wasn't available on ESPN+ (a seperate UND specific broadcast).  I think it was either the Youngstown or Indiana State game.  Would be worth to you for sure.  Biggest issue will be the UNI game on ESPN3, which is exclusive to ESPN because it's the MVFC "game of the week".  ESPN will have exclusivity for that game.  MVFC has the worst ever "TV" contract.  This is supposed to be the last season of the existing MVFC/ESPN "TV" deal.  Hopefully a new one is renegotiated before the season starts.  Could potentially be why none of the teams in the MVFC are showing ESPN+ listings on their schedules yet, but then again, that wouldn't explain why the game of the week is showing up for the UNI game.  MVFC was on a podcast with Chaves over the winter and she said they were working with Leona to renegotiate the deal with ESPN.  Probably talking about for next year, but maybe things change before the last scheduled season of the contract..

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2023 at 3:50 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i really think coach dosch is gonna help this defense a lot....very under the radar add.......guy has been around and doesn't take sh*&t.

Loved how insightful he was as a color guy on the radio. It was like he was coaching over the air waves. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Last year Midco also streamed broadcast and streamed an away game or two that wasn't available on ESPN+ (a seperate UND specific broadcast).  

On fightinghawks.com all games other than the Boise State and Northern Iowa games are shown to be broadcast by Midco. I would assume that would extent to Midco Sports Plus....but I have a long history of incorrect assumptions. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I don't think they are wrong.  UND can finish in the top 3 this year.  ANY improvement from the defense will strengthen that claim. 

Completely agree. This season for me comes down to two things (1) Schuster staying healthy. (2) Defensive improvement. I believe UND would finish 6-5 if we don't see any improvement defensively. Good news is it's hard for me to believe they could be any worse. Also, UND does have a track record of fixing what has been broken the previous year. Fix the defense and this team has an incredibly high ceiling. 

39 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

I want to agree so bad, but that olb group is scary. Not in the good way.

I go back and forth with my defensive concern. This might seem obvious, but let's give the coaching staff enough credit and self-awareness that following the year they know their strengths and weaknesses. After Spring Ball, from 360 to this board, the talker has been (1) RB Depth (2) OLB (3) Safety play. Since then, what we witnessed was offers trying to secure a RB and one Safety offer. What I've concluded is the Coaching staff based on moves we've seen, is potentially the D-Line play was the biggest concern. They hit that position hard for transfers. D-Line play, simplifying the defensive scheme (which has been talked about) and they must feel they have the talent to greatly improve.

*I did talk about this in my previous post, but during Bubba's tenure, they have been good at fixing the holes from the previous year

Just now, AJS said:

I go back and forth with my defensive concern. This might seem obvious, but let's give the coaching staff enough credit and self-awareness that following the year they know their strengths and weaknesses. After Spring Ball, from 360 to this board, the talker has been (1) RB Depth (2) OLB (3) Safety play. Since then, what we witnessed was offers trying to secure a RB and one Safety offer. What I've concluded is the Coaching staff based on moves we've seen, is potentially the D-Line play was the biggest concern. They hit that position hard for transfers. D-Line play, simplifying the defensive scheme (which has been talked about) and they must feel they have the talent to greatly improve.

*I did talk about this in my previous post, but during Bubba's tenure, they have been good at fixing the holes from the previous year

only problem is that every year there seems to a hole.....day by day we are waiting for the team not to have gaping holes and hopefully this year we make some noise because it's only coming up on ten years

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

What I've concluded is the Coaching staff based on moves we've seen, is potentially the D-Line play was the biggest concern. They hit that position hard for transfers. D-Line play, simplifying the defensive scheme (which has been talked about) and they must feel they have the talent to greatly improve.

I actually agree with the coaching staff's rationale on this.  EVERYTHING starts up front...both sides of the ball...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

only problem is that every year there seems to a hole.....day by day we are waiting for the team not to have gaping holes and hopefully this year we make some noise because it's only coming up on ten years

You're absolutely correct. They fix one hole and another appears the following year. Why do I feel this season could be different? I cannot remember a positional group that was as effective the year previously, that brings back so much as the Offense does this year. The offense just needs to stay the course, which there's no reason to believe they won't. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

We seem to have a whack-a-doodle problem when fixing holes

This is not unique to UND. All teams have their strengths and weaknesses.
The challenge is either preventing your weaknesses from being detrimental or having large enough strengths to mask it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, TBR said:

On fightinghawks.com all games other than the Boise State and Northern Iowa games are shown to be broadcast by Midco. I would assume that would extent to Midco Sports Plus....but I have a long history of incorrect assumptions. 

You're correct.  Here's a link to their schedule: https://midcosports.com/schedule/
To save you a click, screen grab below shows Midco Sports Plus streaming for everything but hockey.

image.thumb.png.acef011e6f8482d991c1e5be30e4c04a.png

For all of you degenerates reading a football message board during the work day, mid summer, check out this video.  This guy doesn't get enough credit for his coverage of FCS football at the national level.  Nearly an hour and a half of general FCS football talk.  Haven't finished it yet and I haven't heard him discuss UND yet, so I am reserving the right to edit this post and bash him ;).