SiouxSports.com Forum

USD @ UND 11/12/22

Dustin

So what do we know about the Yotes?  Better than their record?  Or are they a doormat ready to be stepped on as we play in the friendly confines of the Alerus Center?  All I know is that we need this win.  And preferred 2+ score win, at that.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

So what do we know about the Yotes?  Better than their record?  Or are they a doormat ready to be stepped on as we play in the friendly confines of the Alerus Center?  All I know is that we need this win.  And preferred 2+ score win, at that.

They’re definitely better than their record. They’ve played a very tough schedule and Theis (RB) took it to UND last year. 

USD offense seems quite inconsistent: Only scored 3 against SDSU (among the best in FCS), but put up 38 against Cal-Poly (among the worst), and average 16 points/game.  They give up 26 points/game on average, which matches UND's offensive output pretty closely.  I think the biggest question will be their offense vs. our defense.  Will USD exceed their season average (16) against a defense that allows nearly double that (30)?  I think UND's offense can outscore them, no matter, and I expect a win.  By how much is the question.

UND is coming off by far their best performance of the year @ Indiana State. Of course, just win, but could there be a bit of a narrative shift for this team? Like last week, I'm focusing on the ST/Defensive combo. They completely outperformed what I expected last week. This week, I'm setting USD's points @ 21. Let's hope again they outperform my expectations. 

It just might be me, but last week was a shot in the arm. I'm really excited for the game on Saturday. Playoff game. Win and I think they're in. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He made our defense his bitch

Posted this in another thread, but important  UND stops Travis Theis. He sort of runs like Hunter Luepke (physical style) for NDSU. Big test for UND defense in back-to-back weeks. Defense needs to step up and stop the run. Good thing is stopping Theis is a nice warm up for Luepke (and that’s also a bad thing, defense will be worn out). 

2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

USD QB Bauman had amazing stats in HS and I was highly recruited.  Played a couple of years at Iowa St and now at USD.

I remember his dad running one in as time expired to beat us when he was at St. Cloud.  I don't remember if it was 2 pt conversion or TD. 

I remember listening to the game on the radio.  He was a beast.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/und-football-treating-south-dakota-matchup-like-the-playoffs

This article doesn't give me any clairvoyance on the game.  That QB sounds like a beast, 6-5 240.  But it sounds like their lines (both O and D) are vulnerable (give up sacks, can't stop the run).  This game scares me, though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/und-football-treating-south-dakota-matchup-like-the-playoffs

This article doesn't give me any clairvoyance on the game.  That QB sounds like a beast, 6-5 240.  But it sounds like their lines (both O and D) are vulnerable (give up sacks, can't stop the run).  This game scares me, though.

He isn't that good

3 minutes ago, NoDaks said:

Then the comeback in 2011 I believe when it felt like UND was getting run out of the Alerus. Some fun memories.

A lot of people on here with mixed opinions on that game. It felt great at the time, but may have hurt us in the not-so-distant future.

The 2016 game was also a wild one. 47-44 in OT, I believe.  I think we would have been 0-3 to start the season without that win.

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

USD QB Bauman had amazing stats in HS and I was highly recruited.  Played a couple of years at Iowa St and now at USD.

I remember his dad running one in as time expired to beat us when he was at St. Cloud.  I don't remember if it was 2 pt conversion or TD. 

1994 Potato Bowl. It was a TD as time expired. We had 5 turnovers in that game.