SiouxSports.com Forum

USD @ UND 11/12/22

Dustin

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Bob Neilson looked like he saw a ghost shaking Bubbas hand after the game. Wonder if he will get extended a year or not? Bob is like Bubba and needs to start coaching modern schemes and not be stuck in the old days. It’s not working at USD whatever he is doing.

The handshake lasted longer than I anticipated.

Apparently USD didn't even have an OC for most of the season. Nielson took over play calling duties after USD scored 7 points total against Kansas State and Montana. The coach who was the OC/QB coach stayed on staff for another month before leaving the team.

Schlafke was Nielson's quarterback at Minnesota-Duluth during an undefeated 2008 season in which the Bulldogs won a Division II National Championship. Following coaching stops at Southern Illinois and Montana Tech, Schlafke joined Nielson, just-hired as the head football coach at Western Illinois, as a quarterbacks coach and offensive play-caller in 2013.

Nielson kept Schlafke in that same role in when he was introduced as the Coyotes head coach in December 2015 and has remained in the role every year Nielson has been in Vermillion.

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

ey were looking at Tommy because they recruit Michigan kids. Prob thought the same thing as the other D1 schools that over looked him.

My thinking is, looking at their style, they wanted a running quarterback with a strong arm. Which I think we were thinking of doing before Cedric or what ever his name was, chose not to go to UND.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The handshake lasted longer than I anticipated.

Apparently USD didn't even have an OC for most of the season. Nielson took over play calling duties after USD scored 7 points total against Kansas State and Montana. The coach who was the OC/QB coach stayed on staff for another month before leaving the team.

They might be done with him after this year the way it sounds on the USD board.  Lots of debate on the topic down there.

I will say this:  Bob Nielson is as classy of a coach as I've seen at this level...and he's a proven winner at every NCAA level of the sport he's been.  He's responsible for the only two FCS playoff appearances in USD history.  I've always liked the way he runs a program, and if he is let go at USD, some NSIC program would be lucky to have him should he chose to coach again, and an FCS program could certainly do worse.  The difference between how his team carried itself on the field and the sidelines vs SDSU was striking to me.  He's got a young squad down in Vermillion, and that Bouman could be a very good QB in the MVFC for the next three years.  Unfortunately for Bob, college football is a business, and a lot of good coaches lose their jobs.

Also, I believe Bob hired Bubba at UMD when he was the AD there...I'm guessing they are fairly close (don't know that for sure though).  

• Upvote 1