SiouxSports.com Forum

Week #4....The Devils and Vegas....

Wilbur

Forgot that local kid Stibbe was on the Devils.  One of the best skaters that I've ever seen live in a high school game.

Looks like they were just fine against CC.  Goalie has some good stats.....

I'll say 4-1 UND....Unless bubbs let's them go on the strip. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'll say 4-1 UND....Unless bubbs let's them go on the strip. 

UND has allowed 5, 6, 3, and 4 goals in their last four games. Unless the defense turns a serious corner this week, I don’t see them only allowing one goal to ASU. 
I’ll go with a 5-4 game, with hopefully our boys in green taking the W (in regulation!). 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

UND has allowed 5, 6, 3, and 4 goals in their last four games. Unless the defense turns a serious corner this week, I don’t see them only allowing one goal to ASU. 
I’ll go with a 5-4 game, with hopefully our boys in green taking the W (in regulation!). 

They did almost allow only 1 goal thru 3 periods against Minnesota on Friday. But i think deridder was the reason for that. 

Anyone else annoyed that so many P5 schools don't have a decent message board?  There's paid message boards on websites like rivals and 24/7, but the only topics are narrowly focused on fb and bb.  Is there an online community anywhere for ASU hockey fans (other than a USCHO thread)?   Just baffles me that schools like UND, NDSU, UNI, SDSU, USD, Montana, etc. all have such quality, free, message boards, but bigger schools have crap, and the crap they do have normally isn't even free.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

Certainly not belittling ASU, but Quinny and Minny feel like a different level than the Devils. We'll see. I am still very confident in this team's ability to shut other teams down. It's only Game 7!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Certainly not belittling ASU, but Quinny and Minny feel like a different level than the Devils. We'll see. I am still very confident in this team's ability to shut other teams down. It's only Game 7!

I don't disagree with you, but ASU did take UMD to overtime in Duluth (not an easy place to play) and nearly swept Bemidji in Bemidi. They have a lot of grad transfers that can score, and Matthew Kopperud has proven he is a scorer. This team will be every bit as dangerous as Penn State was last year, if not more dangerous. They may not be at the level of Minnesota or Quinnipiac, but if you don't bring your A game, they are capable of beating anyone. They also stomped CC last week so they are not a cupcake. 

13 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I don't disagree with you, but ASU did take UMD to overtime in Duluth (not an easy place to play) and nearly swept Bemidji in Bemidi. They have a lot of grad transfers that can score, and Matthew Kopperud has proven he is a scorer. This team will be every bit as dangerous as Penn State was last year, if not more dangerous. They may not be at the level of Minnesota or Quinnipiac, but if you don't bring your A game, they are capable of beating anyone. They also stomped CC last week so they are not a cupcake. 

Definitely not arguing they are a cupcake, just speaking in general. I am still thinking we can and should be able to handle it.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely not arguing they are a cupcake, just speaking in general. I am still thinking we can and should be able to handle it.

UMD got a surprise opening weekend, ... this is fourth weekend, ... not the same. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Anyone else annoyed that so many P5 schools don't have a decent message board?  There's paid message boards on websites like rivals and 24/7, but the only topics are narrowly focused on fb and bb.  Is there an online community anywhere for ASU hockey fans (other than a USCHO thread)?   Just baffles me that schools like UND, NDSU, UNI, SDSU, USD, Montana, etc. all have such quality, free, message boards, but bigger schools have crap, and the crap they do have normally isn't even free.

I don't know much about message boards (other than UND has a great one - thank you @jimdahl), but I believe part of the problem with ASU hockey interest is that it has not yet developed a very large fan base.  I think the estimate of 15% ASU fans at the game in an earlier post is too high.  ASU has done some great things with their program in their short existence, but because of their prior lack of a viable arena, location, competing sports and other factors, the fan base is not there.  Hopefully, that changes with their new rink and eventual hockey conference affiliation.

• Upvote 2

Arizona State forward Matthew Kopperud, who led the Sun Devils in goals as a freshman (13) and a sophomore (22) is expected to play Saturday night in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game. Kopperud missed last weekend's series against Colorado College, but coach Greg Powers said he's looked sharp at practice this week. UND, on the other hand, will still be without forward Dane Montgomery and defenseman Luke Bast. They've both been battling nagging injuries since fall camp. They will not play in Vegas.

Must be decent injuries to Bast and Montgomery...

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Aren't you up past your bed time? :D  

Yes I was. If I buy drinks they let me tag along. The nursing home back home doesn’t know I’m not there yet. I left my teddy bears and a box of depends under the covers and put a sign on the door that I have monkey pox. They won’t check til Mon AM. 

• Upvote 2